Maxus for Turkey

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Maxus for Turkey

Postby matt_3479 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:23 pm

In the next few weeks i will be picking up a new shotgun. I have been using my younger bro's Winchester model 1200 and like it a lot. I took my first turkey with it this year and did a lot of waterfowl hunting with it last year and almost got myself a deer during the shotgun season last year. After taking it turkey hunting this year i was set and excited for the up coming waterfowl and the fall turkey hunt when my brother asked for it back since he finally got his licence.

I have went to the local shop a few times to handle every shotgun they had to see which fit me the best starting with winchesters and remingtons cause thats what im use too. I prefered the winchesters and was going get one. I continued to handle more, beretta's, Benelli's, Franchi's and Brownings. The brownings fit me the best and decided i will be getting a Maxus.

This gun will be used on Turkey, Waterfowl, and deer and was going to get a 28" shotgun and was curious whats everyones opinion on the shotgun with a long barrel for turkey. i figured i will be getting a few chokes as well to go with it and realized this gun will be like a 29" barrel.
matt_3479
hunter

Re: Maxus for Turkey

Postby brktrt-18 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:24 am

Shouldn't be a big deal having a long barrel. Just make sure when you set up that there isn't anything in front of you that would interfear with you swinging the barrel left or right. I carry some pruners with me to cut small plants in front of me so I can move my barrel. Even though you set up in the direction you think the turkey will come from they have a bad habit of coming in from a different direction.
brktrt-18
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Longer barrels tend to pattern a bit better and are more predictable as far as gun/choke/load combo.. The Maxxus with its larger than standard bore and INV + chokes should serve you well.. I would look to a Pure Gold 670 or a Indian Creek 665 for the gun.. Both are proven performers in INV + barrels and both offer a satisfaction guarantee.
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby ChevyKYfowler24 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:22 pm

i purchased a Browning maxus in the summer of 2010. used it this past 2011 turkey season, and loved it for turkey hunting. but as much as it rains here in western ky during the spring time and as much belly crawling as im doing, using my 1300$ gun in the mud kinda sickened me. BUT i did smoke a double bearded jake at about 60 yards with it using a Jellyhead choke, and shooting 3" #5 hevi-shot. it convinced me
ChevyKYfowler24
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:55 am

I got a Maxus last year for duck hunting. I have been using a Mossberg 835 for turkey. That gun is deadly on turkeys. I"m sure the Maxus will work just fine but absolutely love the 835.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:36 pm

the disadvantage to a longer barrel for turkeys is the gun getting hung up on trees when it's slung over your shoulder as you walk through the woods.

improved patterns with a longer barrel in today's guns is a myth. it's all about the right choke/load combo.

get the shortest barrel you can. no longer than 24". two barrels for the same gun is an option if you want to use it for other game.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:40 pm

:thumbsup:
Indawoods wrote:the disadvantage to a longer barrel for turkeys is the gun getting hung up on trees when it's slung over your shoulder as you walk through the woods.

improved patterns with a longer barrel in today's guns is a myth. it's all about the right choke/load combo.

get the shortest barrel you can. no longer than 24". two barrels for the same gun is an option if you want to use it for other game.

X2, I shoot my old mossy 500 with a 22 inch turkey barell and a undertaker choke. I shoot Remington 3 inch 4X6 duplex with 1 7/8 ounce of shot. This combo patterns the best of any of our guns including 3 1/2 inch models. Spend time and pattern your guns with different chokes and shells until you find what works and stick with it. Also, learn to shoot with your opposite side for when they come in on the wrong side like they usually do
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:35 pm

I have a Maxus and an 870. I'll probably use my 870 as its now my beater gun and has a shorter barrel than my Maxus.

gonna be hard to leave the Maxus at home after being spoiled with it in the duck marsh! :no:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby ChevyKYfowler24 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:45 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I have a Maxus and an 870. I'll probably use my 870 as its now my beater gun and has a shorter barrel than my Maxus.

gonna be hard to leave the Maxus at home after being spoiled with it in the duck marsh! :no:

x2 on that. that the prob i have. on a nasty rainy day it hurts leaving the maxus at home during turkey season
ChevyKYfowler24
hunter

Maxus for Turkey

Postby Triangler » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:00 am

I have a Maxus with 26" barrel and it patterned great at 40 yards with a Kicks Gobblin' Thunder in .680. I haven't turkey hunted with this gun yet as it is fairly new. I have a TC Encore with Turkey barrel that I've had a lot of success with. I like the Encore because it is shorter, lightweight and very accurate. The Maxus should let me reach out a little farther and make a quicker follow up shot, but I shouldn't need to if I've done my job. Hope this helps.
Triangler
Newb

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:22 am

Use Max and forget the rest. I use a undertake nontoxic super full turkey with 3/1/2 hevi 13 i wouldn't wanna be infront of that hornets nest a 50 yards the pattern is insane tight
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:32 pm

A shotgun is a tool. Buying a shotgun and being afraid to take it out in the mud and rain is like buying a john deere lawn mower and refusing to use it because the grass is wet. Take it out use it, bring it home and clean it up.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:01 am

AMEN chris
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum