Magnus Bull Heads or Gobbler Guillotine

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Magnus Bull Heads or Gobbler Guillotine

Postby waterdogds » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 am

I've been hunting turkeys with my bow out of a ground blind for a few years. I've mainly shot rage expandable broadheads in the body. After losing more birds than is acceptable, I'm making the switch to a head shot blade. So I would like to get a few opinions on the Magnus Bull Heads or Gobbler Guillotine. Would like to know about durability, and overall pros and cons. If you have used one or both of these brands please tell me what you think.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Re: Magnus Bull Heads or Gobbler Guillotine

Postby duckschooler » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Were the rages you were using 3 blades or 2 blades? I was thinking about buying the 3 blades to use for turks since I think my slick tricks may blow right through and not do enough damage.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:08 pm

duckschooler wrote:Were the rages you were using 3 blades or 2 blades? I was thinking about buying the 3 blades to use for turks since I think my slick tricks may blow right through and not do enough damage.

I was using the 100 grain 2 blade models. The same ones I use as my deer set up.The first few I shot, there was no problems. But the last few that I shot have all got away. Virtually no blood trail ever when shooting them in the body, and the kill zone is just as small if not smaller than the head. So I'm making the switch. Every shot I've ever taken has been inside of 10 yds. so it should be no problem on the head shot. Depending on your bow and set up, I think that any broadhead is going to blow right through them, that's been my experience with every turkey I've ever shot. Good luck with whichever you decide on.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Yeah I've doing alot of reading up on what I should get, and it's been really mixed reviews. Sorry to jack your thread. I see that the bullheads have some real positive reviews on cabelas but I've never shot them or seen them in person. I've got the turk fever so I may just pick up the bullheads so I'll know and have some info. I read a heavier arrow seems to be better for the bh but I'm an easton st axis/beman mfx shooter, you think the smaller diameter and less weight will have any bearing on how the bh flies? I expect a little tweaking but I don't want to have to buy two packs of the bullheads to get everything "dialed" in.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Naw bud, you didn't hijack my thread. I'm glad you replied. From what I've read and seen in person, the bh are definitely built a little tougher. You can get a 3 pack for $25 in 125 grain. The only significant difference in the bh and guillotine to me is price. I posted this thread in hopes of getting more opinions. As far as the arrow your going to use, I've read that arrows with a stiffer spine will recover faster out of the bow in turn being more accurate for the up close shot you'll more than likely have. And if you decide to go with the 125 grain bh, it has a three inch blade as opposed to the two inch 100 grain models. The 125 grain point will need the stiffer spine arrow for sure. And let me tell you, if you enjoy shooting one with a gun, when you shoot one up close with the bow, that will be the only way you'll want to get after them from that point on. Kind of like deer, after the bow, the gun just doesn't seem as appealing anymore. Just my thoughts.
waterdogds
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:07 pm

Yeah I know what ya mean, ever since I shot my first deer with a bow a rifle seems different. I watched about 5-6 videos on the BH and one guy even had a comparison of the rage, guillotine and BH, his final conclusion leaned toward the BH. I may just go into the shop and have them help me get all set-up, turkey time is fastly approaching for me.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:22 pm

I would get the Bullhead. They are solid, and the have a lifetime warrenty. If you break, or even bend them you can send them in and get a replacement.

However, to shoot them well you have to make sure your bow is very well tuned. If you can get standard fix blade broadheads to have the same point of impact as your field tips out to around 40 yards I would say you are off to a great start. As for the arrow, you will want an arrow that is goes at least an inch past the end of the arrow shelf. I have also found that they fly best if you use an arrow that has four 4 inch feather fletchings with a helical. For practicing with them I go to Wal Mart, and buy a cheap pillow that I hang, and then shoot.

If you don't know how to tune you broadheads google broadhead tuning, go to the images tab, and there should be a diagram that explains it.

Hope this helps.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks OKhunter..... I have a friend that has just finished tuning his out. He has them shooting on the money at 20 yds. Have you ever shot them with a blazer vein? It's good to know about the lifetime warranty. That's a deal maker for me, I think that helped me make up my mind. Thanks for the reply and good luck this spring. :thumbsup:
waterdogds
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:33 pm

waterdogds wrote:Thanks OKhunter..... I have a friend that has just finished tuning his out. He has them shooting on the money at 20 yds. Have you ever shot them with a blazer vein? It's good to know about the lifetime warranty. That's a deal maker for me, I think that helped me make up my mind. Thanks for the reply and good luck this spring. :thumbsup:

Glad I could help. I have not shot them with blazers, but I have shot them with regular 4 inch plastic vanes. I would recommend NOT doing that. I didn't even come close to hitting the target at 10 yards. I you might be able to get away with shooting the smaller 100 grain Bullheads, but I have found that really does help to have feather vanes with a hard helical to steer the larger 125 grain Bullheads. If you do try to shoot them with blazers if you could I would put a helical on the fletchings. Any other questions let me know and I can try to answer them if I can.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby jbshunter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:51 am

I have shot the 125 and 100 grain bullheads. The 100 is what myself and several freinds ended up with at the end. They are easier to tune and are devastaing to a turkeys head. I highly recommend them and as stated are backed buy a lifetime warranty. I shoot mine with 3in blazers and a 30in arrow with no problems. Best of luck to you!!!!
jbshunter
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for the reply jbshunter.... I think there's like maybe 1/2" difference in blade length, but if I can go with what's familiar and what I've been shooting(blazer veins) and get good performance out of the 100's, I'll probably try them first. Let's face it, its going to be a complete miss, or utter devastation, 1/2" shouldn't make that big of a difference. Thanks again, have a good spring.
waterdogds
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum