Any tips for the new hunter?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Any tips for the new hunter?

Postby znewc14 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:49 am

I just bought my turkey tag for here in Idaho. I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips for hunting Merriam's turkeys. I have my camo and somewhat of a spot locked in. What should I be looking for in an area and how should I approach the hunt?
From what it looks like, you guys know your stuff about hunting these birds...any kind of tip is more than I know at this point.

I have a hen decoy and a fan as well. I have a few reeds and a slate call but other than that I don't know what I'm doing?

Thanks for the help

Nuke
znewc14
hunter

Re: Any tips for the new hunter?

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 am

Start reading my friend and once you have read, you will have more specific questions that can be answered. http://books.google.com/books?id=ukYqfB3PmfIC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby apg36820 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:30 pm

sit still
apg36820
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:42 pm

Sit still, sit long, and when you've had enough, sit a half hour longer! When I first started hunting turkeys, I used to end my hunt not long after fly down. Now I sit all day. I see so much action during the day that I feel confident that I will have something happen in the next half hour. Turkeys are on the move. Hens are feeding, and hopefully being courted by a tom. She comes by, and the tom's in tow. They are not making noise all the time. Listen for light hen clucks versus gobbling. If you see your decoy not working, try sitting where you know they frequent. I can tell you they might charge your decoys, but half the time they head the opposite direction. You can never go wrong with a jake decoy or a jake fan. I stress jake versus tom, because there is no adult bird who is intimidated by a jake unless it's a jake mob kicking the crap out of a less than dominant tom. A hen will often avoid a hen decoy, because she has the urge to breed as well, and wants her boyfriend to herself, so she may head the opposite direction, and take your tom with her. A tom will typically come in, and prove his dominance over a jake decoy. Early in the season, when the flocks are still bunched up, you can get by with more decoys, but I either go with one single decoy or none after the breeding and nesting takes place. Remember that a hen will lay an egg each day, and not start the incubating process until the entire clutch is laid. So around 10 AM to 2 PM, you can bet that your hen is going to ditch her boyfriend, and he's going to be eager to breed. I love that time frame. I will set up with a single hen decoy and a single jake fan in a known strutting zone, and make it happen quite often at that time. there is so much that may change the course of the day, but you must know one thing for sure, They can be predictable, and unpredictable. Therefore they are unpredictable. Each day, you think you have them figured out for tomorrow, and that rarely happens as planned. So even though they flew down, and strutted across the field from you, that doesn't mean you set up over there the next day. You will certainly have the urge, we all do, but you might as well stay where you were, because they may or may not do the same thing the following day. That's what makes it so damn fun! Wisconsin has 6 seven day seasons, and it used to be 5 days previous to this year. So you think 5 or 7 days to make it happen? That must suck? Nope, I love it. I can think of no season where I didn't have at least one chance to get my bird, and that's certainly attributed to some major ass-time! I am getting old, and can't take sitting on the ground like I used to. I have 4 blinds set up at different places where Iknow the birds frequent, and I pretty much hunt from them exclussively. I have big lawn chairs in them for comfort. I pack a lunch, and kill the relative boredom with the smart phone. With the extra ground blinds, you don't really run and gun, but you can definitely set up with a back up plan.....even though you might just as well sit where you are! :yes:

Good luck! Post pictures
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum