poor pattern

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

poor pattern

Postby chrispbrown271 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:52 pm

This year my nephew is going turkey hunting with me for the first time. I took the old stock for my 870 express and cut it down to fit him so I am using my Grandpa's old 870 wingmaster with a fixed full choke and 2 3/4 inch chamber. I thought that full choke would throw a great pattern...I was wrong. I have tried just about every load out there in every shot size and nothing patterns well. As of right now federal 5's with flitecontrol wads are the best I can get, but even those aren't throwing a pattern that I am real impressed with. It will kill one but doesn't leave much margin for error. Shy of buying a new barrel with screw in chokes does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I haven't tried is federal 6 shot with flitecontrol because I can't find any.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Re: poor pattern

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:56 am

chrispbrown271 wrote:This year my nephew is going turkey hunting with me for the first time. I took the old stock for my 870 express and cut it down to fit him so I am using my Grandpa's old 870 wingmaster with a fixed full choke and 2 3/4 inch chamber. I thought that full choke would throw a great pattern...I was wrong. I have tried just about every load out there in every shot size and nothing patterns well. As of right now federal 5's with flitecontrol wads are the best I can get, but even those aren't throwing a pattern that I am real impressed with. It will kill one but doesn't leave much margin for error. Shy of buying a new barrel with screw in chokes does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I haven't tried is federal 6 shot with flitecontrol because I can't find any.
Chris

Your on the right track, that is what the Fed FCW is designed for.. The 6s should help to give you a denser pattern.. With your gun, its chamber length and fixed choke you are going to have to sacrifice range.. Every gun can be a turkey gun as long as you understand its range limitations.. Where your gun fails to put 80-100 evenly spaced pellets in a 10 inch circle you have surpassed your max range.
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:17 pm

I use the exact shell you're talking about with 0ne exception. It is 3 inch, and number 6 shot. My Son won a new shotgun from a waterfowl banquet. It's a mossberg 500 with an extreme choke in it, and has a 24 inch barrel. We tried patterning the gun last year, and I must say it shot an even pattern, but was extremely low with the bead that was on it. It was so low that we actually had to aim above target to get it to strike close to where we wanted it to. He killed a bird last season, but said he aimed to miss, and I wasn't happy about him forming a possible bad habit. I ended up buying a red dot for the gun (Sightmark Sure Shot Reflex). I ended up bore-sighting the gun before the actual sighting in, and the gun shot 10 inches low and 6 inches left. I'm not sure if the Federal ammunition was the cause, but I've had buddies who say that you shouldn't use a very restricted choke, if using that particular type of ammunition. Perhaps the choke is the actual problem? Either way, I ended up sighting in the red dot, and the effective range is definitely forty and beyond, even thogh I'm not one to shoot beyond thirty....I can wait lol. Once sighted in, it was very consistant, and does not waiver in the least. This was a brand new gun, and a brand new choke, but I will blame the choke tube, or the the design of the ammunition, and it's probably a combination of both.

I would ask if the pattern is good, but off it's mark, or full of holes? If it's full of holes, I would definitely blame the choke.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby chrispbrown271 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:22 pm

There is a hole in the pattern dead center. I would like some 6's to fill in the gaps, but can't find em. As far as range goes, when I started turkey hunting 30 yards was the max anyway and if I can't get em to come to that range then I am not doing something right. Set the decoy at 20-25 yds and if they hang up at 30-35 ya still got em. With the 5 shot flitecontrols I have a pattern that will kill a turkey at 30-35 yds, which is all I ask for. I would prefer to fill in the gaps and have something a bit tighter in that range.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:36 pm

I just sighted in his gun using that shell (sixes and three inch), and that flight control wad is very rigid and heavier than your average wad. Usually the wad would drive a hole through the cardboard target upper left, and the pattern where it should be, and sometimes right through the middle of the pattern like a shotgun slug. the pattern was still there, but the wad was there too. Maybe your wad is beating some of your pellets to the target depending on how close you are? At first I was thinking the restriction of your fixed barrel was too tight, and now I might be leaning too open, even though it's a fixed full?. I'm no expert here, but it sounds like your wad is driving through your pattern and busting that hole. Might not be possible, but what else causes this unless the shot cup is holding some of the pellets? I reloaded for many years shooting trap and sporting clays, and your speed of your load was imperitive for shooting distances at 26 or 27 yards. If you had too hot of a load, and equally to weak of a load, your pattern, and score surly reflected this.

I shot Winchester for years, with no problems, I would try them again if you haven't already. What actually made me switch was price. We had a local Gander Mountain move to a different localle, and they sold all of their inventory rather than move it. I bought twenty boxes of Federal flite control in number six for a buck a box. It's hard not to make the switch when the cost per shell goes from 2 bucks to 10 cents. I always shot number five, but the sixes work just fine. After shooting my Son's gun with the choke that came with it, I'm pretty confident that a turkey will be decapitated at 10 yards. Almost too tight in my opinion, but that red dot sure makes target acquizition a breeze!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby chrispbrown271 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:29 pm

The constriction on the choke is .692, not the tightest I have ever seen but not too shabby. Until I checked the constriction I was leaning towards the choke being too open, but now I don't think that is the issue. The wad doesn't seem to be the issue. I am shooting at some pretty thin paper so if the wad was blowing through the pattern and hitting the paper I would know it. I was not at all impressed with the winchesters in the gun. The federal's have been the only loads that have held patterns I would be comfortable using for turkeys. I really think the 6's would be the ticket...if I could just find some of em.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:04 am

I use to use Remington Nitro mags when I first started turkey hunting in 2 3/4 shells,and then we went to using duplex shells,you might want to try some of those shells they may work! They were made back then to enhance the preformance of our shotguns back then,so my suggestion is to try some of these shells!All the newer ammo for shotguns are based on the newer style of shotguns,chokes ect..ect..,so give the older style shells a shot! Might work out for you! Good luck!!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Got out there again and did some patterning. I went back and tried some of the loads again and apparently I did something wrong. The Kent 6 shot loads and the Winchester 5 shot loads both threw a pattern I can live with. Not sure if I was flinching or if it was the way I was sitting. This time I was sitting in my new turkey hunting chair and all is well. Thanks for all the help guys and good luck in the up and coming season.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:06 am

You might be able to get the barrel reimed and threaded to put in screw in chokes
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:31 pm

It's my Grandpa's gun it will stay just the way he had it.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:47 pm

okay im just saying
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Sorry man didn't mean to snap at you....had to finish up some algebra homework and I was not in a good mood....in what world do I need to know the slope of a line graph based on its y-axis?
Anyway, if the gun didn't have sentimental value to me I would consider having screw-in chokes put in it. Somewhere down the road I will probably find another barrel for since I would like to do some duck hunting with it too. Once again, sorry for snapping at ya.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:47 pm

you weren't snapping and im not a candyass. That gun just means a lot to you and i don't blame ya. Go for a new barrel or new gun either or.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum