Winter flock

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Winter flock

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm sure most of you midwest guys know what I'm talking about when I mention winter flock, and I'm not exactly sure that southern birds don't clump up the way they do here, but I was out yesterday doing some scouting. Anyway, I had a pretty cool encounter. I was sitting in the woods a bit drinking a beer, just listening and observing, when it all happened. I use the term flock loosely here, but a flock (actually herd) of turkeys decided to feed past me at 60 yards while I sipped my beer. I had my binoculars with me, and they stayed in a pretty even row, so I was able to count them. The grand total? 198, 23 toms, 27 jakes, and 9 bearded hens, with the rest being hens and jens. No strutting yet, because the weather is just starting to break, but I got to watch them for over an hour until they decided to feed off into the adjacent woods and property.

I sure do get amped up when the spring turkey season rolls around. I wish I had my camera with me, but unfortunately I only had my cell phone camera. That didn't work. The picture looks like pepper flakes in a field.

April 11th for me, but I have an idea where there might be a couple to choose from!

Good luck to everyone, and post them pictures!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Winter flock

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Beer+Turkeys= Great Day :grooving:
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:09 am

Thats cool they do that up here to in the northeast.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby barryboy08 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:23 pm

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Beer+Turkeys= Great Day :grooving:

I second this :beer:
Happy Hunting!
barryboy08
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:25 am

Best experience I've had around here like that is I was coyote hunting back a couple years ago in February and was going to my next calling set and was cutting across a hilly field. I get to the top of the field and as soon as I broke over the top of it there was over 100 hen turkeys just standing there 30 yards from me. Needless to say they spooked but let me tell you that watching 100 turkeys fly off all at once in unison is the loudest thing I've ever heard while hunting. just flat out ridiculous :lol:
luie b
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum