Best box call for Turkeys

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Best box call for Turkeys

Postby brkncly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:02 pm

So, I'm new to turkey hunting. I'd like to get started with some basic calls, one of them being a box call. There are so many different kinds on the market, I don't know which one to buy. I'd like to know which brands you are using and what made you decide on the one you bought. I'd like to just buy once and not have to buy $100 or more to find one that works great here in Oregon. Thanks for your valuable input.
brkncly
Newb

Re: Best box call for Turkeys

Postby marsh-mello » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Best would be a relative term...as it would be readily apparent that most work just fine. For me the easiest I have found to use and have had several new hunters work with ease, is the Lynch model 101 fool proof turkey call. Pretty good name and it pretty much works that way if you ask me. Just chalk it up and pull the paddle and your good to go. I have tried numerous other models and some are a bit tricky, this one however will get you going and make you sound good from the get go. :thumbsup:

You shouldn't limit yourself to just a box call...another user friendly call is the Ole Yeller slaytek. Easy to use and sounds great.

Get yourself a mouth call..single cut diaphragm and practice with it until you can get the yelp down...you might need to have someone give you some tips as to holding it in your mouth properly and making the sounds? You tube might also be of some help. You will find you "need" to use a mouth call when things get busy(shaky as in gobbler fever) you don't want your hands fumbling with anything other than your gun!

Good luck!
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby jbshunter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Thats a milion dollar question but as stated all will work just fine. It all comes down to a personel preference as with many other things hunting related. I have the "Sweet Box" and it is small enough that it doesnt require much room and that is the main reason I have it. A good old slate is easy to use. May want to give one of them a try. You def dont need the high dollar calls to kill a turkey. I have been on 2 diferent birds with my HIGH dollar calls and was about to give up on them. My son has the $10 push button call and he made a last ditch effort to call them in and believe it or not we ended of killing both birds after he called. By the way he is 6 years old!!!!! Best of luck to you!!!
jbshunter
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Personal preference. Personally ... I like using different calls for different situations. Finishing a bird in close quarters ... slate calls make really soft and raspy clucks, purrs, and cut really well. Windy day ... box call (I'm using a 21 year old H.S. Strut I picked up in 'Bama one spring that was probably 12 bucks at the time). Once the bird gets close and I get the shakes, I call by mouth - you don't even need a diaphram, just listen and replicate ...

Just head over to the closest store and try a few different calls out - put em back in the box if you don't like the way they sound, and READ up on tactics. Odds are if you can make a call sound anything like a turkey or a sea gull, you can call a bird in. All it takes is persistence.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:45 am

The first call I ever owned was a Lynch Fool Proof,101,and still carry it in my vest to this day,34 years later! I recommend this box call to all the newbies I take out! This is the call you need to learn first,then move on to other types of calls!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:36 pm

My favorite is the Lynch 101 like mentioned above. This is a proven call and has killed a lot of T's. I also recommend getting a good pot call probably a slate. Slate are very forgiving and easy to run. As mentioned a variety of calls is a good idea. For example right now the turkeys here are not responding to my Lynch, or mouthcall. However, my aluminum pot with a carbon striker is knocking them down. One year we couldn't get a turkey with anything but a slate. Try different sounds until you find the sound the turkeys like :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum