help

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

help

Postby Ely » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:29 pm

This will be the second year in a row that we havent had turkeys on our property.There is a ton of turkeys 1 mile north and 1 mile south of us and they never come over in our area,i havent heard them or seen them or any sign of them.can everybody help me is there something we need to plant.we own 160 acres and have 5-6 wheat fields.
Ely
hunter

Re: help

Postby marsh-mello » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Hard to say what you need to do...what do you have besides wheat fields? What do the other properties have that you do not? Roost trees? Nesting cover for the hens? Brushy/Thermal escape cover they can hide in from predators? Water sources? Natural cover and insect food...do you spray your crops and kill off insects? Migration corridors between properties inadequate. Open fields highways, dogs, neighboring properties not conducive either for all habitat needs?

Many variables, take a good look around and see what's missing. Correct the problem if you find one...certainly I would think that if you make your property just as attractive that some birds would make it their home. They do wander around and if they find what they like they should set up shop?

Good luck in your detective work.
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:05 am

marsh-mello wrote:Hard to say what you need to do...what do you have besides wheat fields? What do the other properties have that you do not? Roost trees? Nesting cover for the hens? Brushy/Thermal escape cover they can hide in from predators? Water sources? Natural cover and insect food...do you spray your crops and kill off insects? Migration corridors between properties inadequate. Open fields highways, dogs, neighboring properties not conducive either for all habitat needs?

Many variables, take a good look around and see what's missing. Correct the problem if you find one...certainly I would think that if you make your property just as attractive that some birds would make it their home. They do wander around and if they find what they like they should set up shop?

Good luck in your detective work.

Exactly ... you might also considering feeding them depending on the local law as well. 50 gallon drum style quail feeders will work as will broadcast feeders. Give'em milo, peas, corn ... if you want to plant, which may be a more "ethical" in not legal in not a more healthy choice for the birds - Chufas ... hands down, probably one of if not THE best turkey plot maker around.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Ely » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:37 pm

we dont spray our fields and most of our property is thick and it seems perfect for turkeys..were they stay is around a bunch of houses
Ely
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Do you have any coyotes or bobcats on your place that you know of? if so take care of them and maybe they will come on over. Good luck :thumbsup:
chinogoose
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 pm

They are probably feeding them.

Looks like you need to build a few decoy houses then... :eek: :eek: :eek:
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum