New to turkey hunting

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

New to turkey hunting

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:38 pm

I hunt all the time but have never tried turkey hunting. I'm going to turkey hunt hard and a lot this coming up spring and was wondering what some of the better calls are and the gear and things I need to be successful at it. I have the gun, choke, bullets and patience what else do I need.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

New to turkey hunting

Postby Mojo281 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:46 pm

I'd start working on a turkey diaphragm now... Focus on the basics!! Doesn't take much to get a tom to respond during spring season. Other than that, sounds like all you need is turkeys...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Re: New to turkey hunting

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:04 pm

I've got one spot I see turkeys in every year during squirrell season, another spot I see them during deer season, and a wma that has a turkey program. So a diaphragm call is the way to go? Which styles and brands are the best?
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:04 am

I will usually put out a full body Tom along with a couple of foam hens and depending on the time of year I will put a jake in the group. Also I hope you are shooting shells and not bullets.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:12 am

10 gauge 3.5" number 4 hevi-shot. What time of the year would you put a jake out? earlier? I really have no idea about types of calls and the good brands of calls. Money isn't an issue. One guy said diaphragm calls. I know nothing about good ones. I use Zink goose calls are their turkey calls any good?
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:50 am

rebelp74 wrote:10 gauge 3.5" number 4 hevi-shot. What time of the year would you put a jake out? earlier? I really have no idea about types of calls and the good brands of calls. Money isn't an issue. One guy said diaphragm calls. I know nothing about good ones. I use Zink goose calls are their turkey calls any good?

Turkey calls are fairly cheap compared to duck calls. Go check out Walmart. Primos makes a starter pack with a diaphragm call a slate call and a crow call and comes with a how to DVD. You can find a good box call for like 20. Check out YouTube and it will explain what the different calls are.
I know your shooting shot gun shells but you sound like a noob( not saying you are) when you say I am shooting bullets out of my shotgun.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:10 gauge 3.5" number 4 hevi-shot. What time of the year would you put a jake out? earlier? I really have no idea about types of calls and the good brands of calls. Money isn't an issue. One guy said diaphragm calls. I know nothing about good ones. I use Zink goose calls are their turkey calls any good?

Turkey calls are fairly cheap compared to duck calls. Go check out Walmart. Primos makes a starter pack with a diaphragm call a slate call and a crow call and comes with a how to DVD. You can find a good box call for like 20. Check out YouTube and it will explain what the different calls are.
I know your shooting shot gun shells but you sound like a noob( not saying you are) when you say I am shooting bullets out of my shotgun.

Who gives? I might be new to turkey hunting but I've been hunting my entire life. I've been shooting a 12 gauge since I was 8 yrs old.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Turkeys=Ground Voltures
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:24 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

Who gives? I might be new to turkey hunting but I've been hunting my entire life. I've been shooting a 12 gauge since I was 8 yrs old.

Last year was my first season but and I have been shooting for over 15 years now and the first thing I learned about my shoot gun was I shoot shells and bullets go in the rifle. Don't be so damn sensitive.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

Last year was my first season but and I have been shooting for over 15 years now and the first thing I learned about my shoot gun was I shoot shells and bullets go in the rifle. Don't be so damn sensitive.

My bad on coming off that way. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything like that. Thank you for helping with info on turkey hunting.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:44 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

My bad on coming off that way. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything like that. Thank you for helping with info on turkey hunting.

All good. It just reminds me of some of my friends that I shoot with that don't hunt and they say it all the ti :beer: me.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:47 pm

What call do you use? diaphragm, box, slate, glass? What about decoy brands?
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:08 pm

rebelp74 wrote:What call do you use? diaphragm, box, slate, glass? What about decoy brands?

All 3. Think of a slate call like a hail call. That is what I use when they are out of sight. Box call when they are within a few 100 yards. Then you go hands free with the diaphragm call when you are gettin ready to finish them. As for decoys it not really like duck hunting. I have a big rubber full body Tom. 2 hens and 1 jake foam decoys that fold up into my pack. I just check cabelas for when they have sales and you can find the Tom for like 50 and the 3 set for around 30
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby newsman1969 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:43 am

That's a good calling strategy. I also use a Gunslater with my slate call. It mounts on the gun allows you to make soft clucks & purrs when the bird is in close. For mouth calls, I prefer the Hunters Speciaties Derringer. All of their calls seem to come out of the package ready to use. They're also easier for a beginner to start with. I've tried Primos and Quaker Boy—They're good calls, but not as easy for a beginner to learn with.

I'm relatively new to turkey hunting but I've learned some important lessons in a few short seasons.
1) Turkey hunting without scouting isn't hunting at all. It's more like rolling the dice or buying an instant lottery ticket—There's a (slim) chance you could win something. Unlike deer hunting, you don't have to scout for weeks & months before a turkey hunt. A walk through the woods close to the beginning of the season is plenty to get the job done if you do it right. At the very least, head out the day before the hunt to look for sign. You should also try to roost a bird the evening before the hunt to increase your odds.
2) Don't expect the bird to work hard at being shot. Set up so he has a straight & clear path into your sights. A gobbler is unlikely to cross a creek/ditch/fence to get to you. Make it easy for him!
3) Don't overdo the calling—that's a bit cliché but it's true. I have scared several birds off by getting over-zealous with my calling. Success finally came when I learned to slow down and ration the calls. Use a good loud slate or box call to locate the bird. Use it sparingly to call him into sight. Then go easy. Not calling can be just as effective as calling. If the tom thinks a potential hen has lost interest, he may move on her before she moves on to another tom.
4) Practice, practice, practice with your calls BEFORE you head to the woods. Don't try to learn in the field—You'll end up being frustrated.
5) Good camo is just as important as a good gun. Without both you won't stand a chance. Turkeys see in color. Choose a neutral camo pattern. Too light or too dark will be a dead giveaway. I use government issue Multi-Cam. It works in a lot of situations. On one occasion I had a coyote come within 8 feet of me. He looked past me and had no idea I was there until he got downwind. I've also had deer walk almost on top of me. Good camo is necessary to get the job done.

Good Luck
newsman1969
Newb

New to turkey hunting

Postby fletch125 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:25 pm

rebelp74 wrote:I hunt all the time but have never tried turkey hunting. I'm going to turkey hunt hard and a lot this coming up spring and was wondering what some of the better calls are and the gear and things I need to be successful at it. I have the gun, choke, bullets and patience what else do I need.

Decoys will help alot i like using a jake with two to three hens. Seeing that jake really angers gobblers. Diaphragm are the best but you need to start now if you plan on using them. Make sure you pick a good turkey load and pattern to see what your effective range is. Every load is different
fletch125
Newb

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:03 pm

fletch125 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I hunt all the time but have never tried turkey hunting. I'm going to turkey hunt hard and a lot this coming up spring and was wondering what some of the better calls are and the gear and things I need to be successful at it. I have the gun, choke, bullets and patience what else do I need.

Decoys will help alot i like using a jake with two to three hens. Seeing that jake really angers gobblers. Diaphragm are the best but you need to start now if you plan on using them. Make sure you pick a good turkey load and pattern to see what your effective range is. Every load is different

I've got a kicks turkey tube in a 10ga. browning, and it patterns great to 50 yds and holds up really well all the way to 80 yds w/ winchester supreme turkey loads.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby hawglips » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:01 pm

I always recommend new turkey hunters leave the decoys at home and learn to hunt without them first. Kill a few without decoys first and then later on, if you want to try hunting with them, give it a try. The essence of the sport is calling them in to the gun, with their eyes and ears on full alert. Decoys take some of that away from them, which changes the nature of the quarry somewhat.

You'll eventually thank me if you take this advice...
hawglips
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:46 pm

I would start practicing on a mouth call but I would also become familiar with several different calls like a slate and a box call also. I do a lot of walking and calling (runnin n gunnin). If you can't locate a tom to hunt in the morning then I'll usually walk about 150-200 yards and make a couple of calls. I do that until I find a tom or until I'm ready to stop hunting. Sometimes I'll set up for about 30 minutes to an hour and I'll call in a field or some other place. Good luck and good hunting! :sniper:
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Also remember just because he quit gobbling does not mean that he isnt coming anymore. I cant count how many birds I messed up just because they stopped gobbling when I first started. Just be patient :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:33 am

hawglips wrote:I always recommend new turkey hunters leave the decoys at home and learn to hunt without them first. Kill a few without decoys first and then later on, if you want to try hunting with them, give it a try. The essence of the sport is calling them in to the gun, with their eyes and ears on full alert. Decoys take some of that away from them, which changes the nature of the quarry somewhat.

You'll eventually thank me if you take this advice...

Nice to see you here Hal.. Hals a very good turkey hunter and his advice is SPOT ON..

Decoys. Learn to hunt without them.. Hunting without decoys will teach you so much more about proper setup, something that will never be learned with the use of visual stimuli.. I feel sorry for alot of new hunters starting in this new Outdoor Channel era of turkey hunting.. New turkey hunters today feel as if they need to set in a blind with a field full of high quality decoys to kill turkeys. But you will be further ahead if you ignore this perception and learn to truly hunt turkeys.

Being new to the sport alot of the aspects can be overwhelming.. Unlike years ago where info was sparse for a newbie today alot of good resources exist to help you get a jump on the learning curve and allow you to ask specific questions on forums like this one..

A good start would be to purchase and read this book. http://books.google.com/books?id=ukYqfB3PmfIC&printsec=frontcover Probably the best book I have read for a beginner to get a good foundation on every aspect of killing turkeys and Ray avoids alot of the B.S. myths and misconceptions commonly found in alot of turkey hunting media and talking circles..

Another good thing to purchase is a CD or DVD with Real turkey sounds.. Repeatedly listening to a guy run a call will make you try to sound like the guy and not a real turkey.. Tree Top Turkeys has great recordings as does Wildtalker with their Spittin Feathers CD.

As for calls.. The possibilities are seemingly endless from box, pot, mouth, trumpet, tube, scratchbox etc etc.. Most common are box, pot, mouth calls.. Box and pot are labeled as easier to use, and that is true to a point. They are easier to make noise which somewhat resembles a turkey, but much practice is needed to become proficient.. No matter what you choose out of those two I would recommend you get a mouth call or 10.. A perception exists its macho and needed to kill turkeys with a mouth call.. But as Harold Knight described, "The Mouth call is the greatest conservation tool in the history of the wild turkey".. It takes alot of time to be proficient across the entire vocabulary.. Learn to cluck and yelp a little for close in work while practicing outside the woods to become proficient.

As for brands.. There are just as many bad calls out there as good.. Turkey calls are broke down into two categories mass produced and more custom calls.. The calls found at big box stores from the huge names will kill turkeys but there is also alot on the shelves that is downright horrible.. Custom calls on average in the right hands are much more realistic, but there is also alot of garbage in the custom call world as well. Alot of folks take the road and purchase cheap readily available calls because they are only a beginner.. But the fact remains if a highly proficient caller cannot make realistic sounds on such a call, how is a newbie supposed to.
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Are you hunting public or private land?
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Hawkeye76 wrote:Are you hunting public or private land?

On both. The public land is on wma that doesn't get much pressure.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:48 pm

I would definitely recommend some kind of strutting decoy.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 am

m.teeter wrote:I would definitely recommend some kind of strutting decoy.

I wouldn't! Beginner hunters NEED TO LEARN how to actually HUNT the birds. Leave the big full strut decoys and blinds at home and get some good camo that blends with your area/terrain, learn to call (a good box call is about the best beginer call). Learn to sit still and use your eyes to look around, then move your head, not the other way around. PATTERN YOUR SHOTGUN with the loads and chokes you intend to use and make your maximum range the distance you can cover a 10" circle with at least 100 evenly spaced pellets and STICK TO THAT RANGE, learn to judge the range of a turkiey on the ground so you don't go over your max range. SCOUT, SCOUT, and SCOUT SOME MORE. The best way to kill a turkey is to be where he is in the first place. The most important thing here though? Don't be afraid to make kistakes but more to the point, LEARN from those mistakes...it'll make you a better turkey hunter, believe me. :beer:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:03 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Hawkeye76 wrote:Are you hunting public or private land?

On both. The public land is on wma that doesn't get much pressure.

Just realized that you are right down the road from me. I'm not sure when the season opens here, but if you need someone to help you out let me know. There are some things that can be taught, and alot that is trial and error. I've turkey hunted since I was 8 on both public and private, and if I had a dime for every time I got outwitted by a semi-flightless bird with a brain the size of a peanut, I would be a rich man.
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Next

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum