New to turkey hunting

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Re: New to turkey hunting

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Hawkeye76 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Hawkeye76 wrote:Are you hunting public or private land?

On both. The public land is on wma that doesn't get much pressure.

Just realized that you are right down the road from me. I'm not sure when the season opens here, but if you need someone to help you out let me know. There are some things that can be taught, and alot that is trial and error. I've turkey hunted since I was 8 on both public and private, and if I had a dime for every time I got outwitted by a semi-flightless bird with a brain the size of a peanut, I would be a rich man.

Thanks man, where you hunt at? Im going to try bodcau wma, some private land and enter the lottery for loggy bayou.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:27 am

I hunt private in MS, private and some public in AL, and private in TN.
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby Wingbuster58 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:22 pm

No one taught me how to turkey, I learned all by myself. I'm a very accomplished caller and hunter and guide during the spring even though I am only a junior in highschool. Here is the advice I can give to you:

Lesson #1: Unless it is an old bird that has heard a lot of calling, you dont need to be state champ to call one in. If you buy any old mouth call and go on youtube, then you will be set to call in a big tom within a few days.

Lesson #2: Don't call to much on the roost. It only takes one or maybe two series of yelps to let him know where you are.

Lesson #3: Movement, Movement, Movement! This will hurt you even more then calling too much.

Lesson #4: Calling too much is bad. In nature a hen always goes to the gobbler. By trying to call one in, you are trying to reverse nature. When you call and then reposition closer and call again, it makes the gobbler think you are coming to him and he will be very reluctant to move any closer. This is where your locator calls come in when your ar running and gunning.

Those four lessons aren't even 1% of what you will learn by just spending days in the field. All of these guys seem to have great advice and this is just my two cents. Just get out there and try hard and you will be successful! Best of luck from a felllow hunter! :beer:
Wingbuster58
hunter

Postby johnmoses » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Please try to get them inside of 40 YARDS. I prefer them to be closer, alot closer. If the turkey won't come inside 40 yards, it means he has another chance and so do you!!! Aim for the wattles at the base of the neck and shoot him in the head. PATIENCE IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
johnmoses
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Wingbuster58 wrote: In nature a hen always goes to the gobbler.

So do you use only gobbler vocalizations
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Wingbuster58 wrote:No one taught me how to turkey, I learned all by myself. I'm a very accomplished caller and hunter and guide during the spring even though I am only a junior in highschool. Here is the advice I can give to you:

Oh son, do you have a lot to learn about turkey huting!

Lesson #1: Unless it is an old bird that has heard a lot of calling, you dont need to be state champ to call one in. If you buy any old mouth call and go on youtube, then you will be set to call in a big tom within a few days.
A mouth call is about the hardest call to learn on and can take a whole lot longer than a few days to learn operate correctly. A box call for long distance calling and a good slate or glass pot for the in close work will kill ANY bird in the woods...including those "old birds"
Lesson #2: Don't call to much on the roost. It only takes one or maybe two series of yelps to let him know where you are.
That depends on the terrain, time of day, the number of hens THAT HAVEN"T BEEN BRED and a host of other non-finites...you have obviously not been hunting long enough to have seen a hen on the roost cackeling and cutting like her hair was on fire to get a gobbler (s) fired up. Sometimes you MUST call aggressively and often in order to compete with the real thing.

Lesson #3: Movement, Movement, Movement! This will hurt you even more then calling too much.
Movement is so far about the only thing you have right. You blink your eyes hard with a bird inside 30 yards and he's gone.

Lesson #4: Calling too much is bad. In nature a hen always goes to the gobbler. By trying to call one in, you are trying to reverse nature. When you call and then reposition closer and call again, it makes the gobbler think you are coming to him and he will be very reluctant to move any closer. This is where your locator calls come in when your ar running and gunning.
Again. Here you go with definites. Depending on the day, the mood of the birds, the number of hens that haven't been bred, the terrain, and a BUNCH of other variables, there really is no such thing as calling to much. There IS however such a thing as using the wrong calls at the wrong tme, with the wrong volume levels. I have killed birds that took one or two notes to have them sprinting in and birds that I had to yap at the whole way in or they would lose interest and hang up or head out. Hens don't ALWAYS go to the gobbler either. If that were the case you would never call a gobbler in using HEN CALLS now would you? As far as moving on a bird? I have killed birds that I have had to chase and set up on 8 or 10 times before I finally got in the right spot for HIM. Depending on the time of day a locator call is no definite to getting a bird to answer you either.

Those four lessons aren't even 1% of what you will learn by just spending days in the field. All of these guys seem to have great advice and this is just my two cents. Just get out there and try hard and you will be successful! Best of luck from a felllow hunter! :beer:

I may sound like I'm putting you on blast here, but all I am saying is that YOU ARE YOUNG and have a TON to learn about turkey hunting and "guiding" and that there are simply NO DEFINITES when it comes to turkey hunting. I have been chasing turkeys around for 30 years and if I have learned one thing about them is that THERE ARE NO DEFINITES.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:19 am

The single most important and useful call to learn is the yelp learn it well, you don't have to be an expert but that call will bring in most of your gobblers with nothing els used. If you want decoys I wouldn't spend a fortune even the old cheapest ones will work, If poss get the gobbler interested in you before the other hens start up in the morning. A mouth call will seal the deal when a gobbler is within sight but not moving.
Good luck!
One shot one kill

Don't run in on another hunters gobbler EARN yours!

Female hunter and loving it.
RockyMtnGobblers
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:09 am

Thanks for all the help ya'll
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Wingbuster58 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:43 pm

I may sound like I'm putting you on blast here, but all I am saying is that YOU ARE YOUNG and have a TON to learn about turkey hunting and "guiding" and that there are simply NO DEFINITES when it comes to turkey hunting. I have been chasing turkeys around for 30 years and if I have learned one thing about them is that THERE ARE NO DEFINITES.[/quote]

I was just trying to offer some basic advice based off what I have learned, not what others have told me. You're certainly right about there not being definites, I was just trying to get a point across. I may be very young, but I believe that for my age I am a very consistent and successful turkey. However, nothing I said is by any means the gospel truth on every hunt. You're also right about me having a lot to learn and I look forward to a life long turkey hunting education ahead of me!
Wingbuster58
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:13 pm

They will drive you mad! :help: I have taken over 100 gobblers and I STILL learn something new every season.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:30 am

Great to see so many useful comments on this thread. I, too, and going to be turkey hunting for the first time this season. Learning to call is pretty daunting especially since I'm not sure I'll be able to use a diaphram due to having a partial upper denture from a 4-wheeleer accident.

What advice do you guys have regarding concealment. I'm assuming camo from head to toe including gloves and a facemask... right? Or does that make you a "black hoodie, barrel sticker tool"?

Also, do most of ya'll just post up against a tree or are ground blinds the new norm? I'm not too keen on the idea of a ground blind but I just wanted to hear what you guys had to say.

Again, Thanks for all the help and advice. It's nice to see so much comeraderie, especially after lurking in the waterfowl hunting area for the last few months and seeing all the jerks that just want to blast the noobs and make fun of them.
I was told people wouldn't take me seriously without a signature.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:34 pm

sigpi906 wrote:Great to see so many useful comments on this thread. I, too, and going to be turkey hunting for the first time this season. Learning to call is pretty daunting especially since I'm not sure I'll be able to use a diaphram due to having a partial upper denture from a 4-wheeleer accident.

What advice do you guys have regarding concealment. I'm assuming camo from head to toe including gloves and a facemask... right? Or does that make you a "black hoodie, barrel sticker tool"? Not sure how being fully concealed from a bird with extremely good vision compares to black hoodies and barrel stickers, but no. I've always been told that if turkeys had a sense of smell, you would never kill one. I have had them hear my brother clicking off his safety at 20 yards, and see me move my trigger finger at 30. Nothing wrong with trying to be as hidden as possible.

Also, do most of ya'll just post up against a tree or are ground blinds the new norm? I'm not too keen on the idea of a ground blind but I just wanted to hear what you guys had to say. Depends on your hunting style. "Run N' Gun" style hunters are not going to have time to set up a blind, as they are going from one spot to another trying to strike a bird. Those that already have the birds patterned and know their daily habits typically use blinds. I personally don't because I feel that I can't see or hear everything around me, and I like to "Run N' Gun".

Again, Thanks for all the help and advice. It's nice to see so much comeraderie, especially after lurking in the waterfowl hunting area for the last few months and seeing all the jerks that just want to blast the noobs and make fun of them.
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:06 pm

real good advice in this thread...only thing i would throw out there is especially on public land, be careful. i sit up against a wide tree not only to help break up my outline, but also so i dont get shot in the back by some idiot who 'stalked' my decoy or heard me calling.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Previous

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum