Patternmaster Code Black 'Turkey'

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Patternmaster Code Black 'Turkey'

Postby duckhunter175 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Has anyone patterned this choke tube or even seen one on the shelves? Interested to hear about how it works with diff size shot and the blends/High Densities that are out there.

http://patternmaster.com/categories/100

I've seen the goose and duck tubes but never a 'turkey' specific. Sounds like they are tightening down and also keeping the wad stripping.
duckhunter175
hunter

Re: Patternmaster Code Black 'Turkey'

Postby macdaddykeefer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:09 am

I have one for my new a5 and wasn't impressed...I have the long range patternmaster in my stoeger and it patterns way better
John 3:16

Never let work get in the way of a possible duck whackin'
macdaddykeefer
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 pm

There is very little talk of them on any of the turkey specific boards.. There are other chokes: Sum Toy, Indian Creek, Pure Gold and even the Tru Glo SSX and Primos Jellyheads that are maximizing performance of todays modern shotshells for less money.
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Use the coupon code Patternmaster at marshmutt.com and save 15 percent
www.marshmutt.com "Keeping the Steel Flying and the Dogs Retrieving"
A Duck Hunting Chat Sponsor
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby macdaddykeefer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Muddy12 do yall have um for the invector ds?
John 3:16

Never let work get in the way of a possible duck whackin'
macdaddykeefer
hunter

Postby mjohnson81 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:39 am

I used one last year in my mossberg 935 and loved it. I used Winchester 3.5 #4's and smoked a Tom last year at 54 yards. Dropped him stone dead. Also shot another one at 15 yards with 3 inch #6's and it looked like I took a sledgehammer to his head. I got another one for my benelli sbe2 but I haven't patterned it yet.

I'm excited to get it out and see what it'll do.
mjohnson81
hunter

Postby mjohnson81 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:41 pm

So I took my sbe2, with 26" barrel, out with the patternmaster and Winchester xtended 3.5 #4's. At 20 I had good patterns with the majority of the spread landing in about a 6 inch circle. Moved back to 50 yards and I had a HUGE pattern with only 6 hits in a 6 inch circle. Not to happy with that kind of spread. I'm thinking about going to a smaller shot size, 5's or even 6's, but they're hard to find right now.

Any other suggestions?
mjohnson81
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:19 am

mjohnson81 wrote:So I took my sbe2, with 26" barrel, out with the patternmaster and Winchester xtended 3.5 #4's. At 20 I had good patterns with the majority of the spread landing in about a 6 inch circle. Moved back to 50 yards and I had a HUGE pattern with only 6 hits in a 6 inch circle. Not to happy with that kind of spread. I'm thinking about going to a smaller shot size, 5's or even 6's, but they're hard to find right now.

Any other suggestions?

4s are worthless for any type of shot for turkeys for the most part.. Yes they do have more penetration than a similar pellet, but the penetration abilities will never be realized once the ethics of pattern density enters the equation.. The smallest pellet with ample penetration at the ranges you intend to shoot, usually is the best choice.

Seeings that Win XTD are now discontinued I would move to either a H 13 6 or 7 loading..
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby mjohnson81 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:29 am

Yeah why the hell did winchester do that??
mjohnson81
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:54 am

mjohnson81 wrote:Yeah why the hell did winchester do that??

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rising cost of raw material.. Probably forecasted a huge drop in sales in an already niche market, not worth the effort.. Seeings that Win were packaged in a 10 box instead of 5 the sticker shock would have probably been way to much for the average joe turkey hunter.
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby mjohnson81 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:38 pm

ICDEDTURKES wrote:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rising cost of raw material.. Probably forecasted a huge drop in sales in an already niche market, not worth the effort.. Seeings that Win were packaged in a 10 box instead of 5 the sticker shock would have probably been way to much for the average joe turkey hunter.

And $30 for 5 shells from hevi shot isn't sticker shock!?!
mjohnson81
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:40 am

mjohnson81 wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And $30 for 5 shells from hevi shot isn't sticker shock!?!

Oh it is but naturally its easier for someone to drop the same PPU but half the total cost to try something..
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum