MAKE sure you pattern your chokes.

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

MAKE sure you pattern your chokes.

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Or use iron sights, small targets and tight choke tubes demand it - I could just cry.

I've been hunting the same gobbler for 2 years and he’s always gotten the best of me, mainly because I haven’t wanted to push him too hard. I know it’s the same bird because he lives up in the corner of the property on a 15 acre peninsula on the river that’s surrounded by cotton fields across the river and open CRP on our side and there’s never more than 1 gobbler and 5 hens in there.

Last weekend I roosted him, and snuck in on him on Saturday morning. Had him going ape **** on the tree and heard him fly down, predicted the trail he’d use after finding all his strut marks in the sand on the road I was using to go in and out. The hens started flying down all around me and I could hear him coming. Got my gun up and waited. Heard him drumming and looked over and he’s at 12. Squeeze the trigger and the gun doesn’t fire. I start mashing on the trigger and it just won’t shoot.

I know it’s loaded. I checked the action, the bolt was closed, double checked the safety … it was off … and now he’s at 25 yards strutting away from me, I’m panicking. Out of pure desperation I crank another shell into the gun thinking maybe I’ve got a dud in the breach and line up to fire on a now moving away rapidly target and basically take the feathers off his back without hitting anything vital and he flies off, PROBABLY never to be seen again. 2 years of working that damn bird down the drain to a gun malfunction. I’m absolutely sick to my stomach.

Damn thing probably weighed 28 pounds with a 12” plus beard as big around as my wrist at the bottom. Absolutely the biggest bird I’ve ever seen.

The wrost part of it is, I patterend the gun on Sunday and found out at 30 yards I have a 5" pattern. Might explain the basic wiff ...
Pouledeau
hunter

Re: MAKE sure you pattern your chokes.

Postby hawglips » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:47 pm

...I patterend the gun on Sunday and found out at 30 yards I have a 5" pattern. Might explain the basic wiff ...

Whoa! You need to go to the next Still Target Championship asap!! That's a world record rig you got there!
hawglips
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 pm

hawglips wrote:
...I patterend the gun on Sunday and found out at 30 yards I have a 5" pattern. Might explain the basic wiff ...

Whoa! You need to go to the next Still Target Championship asap!! That's a world record rig you got there!

:lol3: Thats what I was thinking Hal
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:28 pm

dam bro, sorry to hear that. losing a turkey in any matter hurts. I must say tho ur pain is making me feel lil better, just lost my wallet. :fingerhead:
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:37 am

So this is funny how ... ?
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby QuackAddict95 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 am

i took my friend last saturday and he was using his dads gun that he never patterned before. He missed 2 different turkeys. one at about 20 yards the other at around 10. I dont know if it was him or the gun but dang :no:
QuackAddict95
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:41 pm

QuackAddict95 wrote:i took my friend last saturday and he was using his dads gun that he never patterned before. He missed 2 different turkeys. one at about 20 yards the other at around 10. I dont know if it was him or the gun but dang :no:

I would be guessing him, but only a peice of paper will tell.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:06 pm

I just about took ones head off yesterday at about 10 yds. The only thing holding his head on was a little bit of his throat and a tendon on the back of the neck :lol3:
duckman27
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum