First time Turkey hunting

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

First time Turkey hunting

Postby finalflighttx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Hey guys this will be my first time to turkey hunt in our area in Texas I will be hunting Rio's and was wanting to get an idea on some needed equipment that you all might recomend for me I am going with a guy who has hunted there in the past but I am looking at trying to get to were I can hunt on my own. Any advice on this would be great! This is the place for ducks so I hope to learn some things about the ol tom turkey, thanks guys! :thumbsup:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Re: First time Turkey hunting

Postby Wingbuster58 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:50 pm

What area in Texas? I've been doing well in the hill country with one nice bird, but south Texas has been fantastic. I've taken 2 down here and have helped clients get 3 so far. The gobbling action is starting to wayne a little bit though, I think it peaked about a week ago. You should still do well, especially if you are going with someone who knows what they are doing and knows the area well. As far as gear goes, I would stick with the minimalist aproach. It doesnt take much more than a few calls (locator, diaphragm, and friction) and a hen and jake decoy to have success. My best piece of advice is to drive your guide crazy. Pick his brain so much he gets tired of the questions. I wish I had a resource like that when I was learning. Not that many people down in south Texas really get into turkey hunting; too much focus on deer.

Good luck! Hope you break a beak or two! :thumbsup:
Wingbuster58
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 pm

I m going in the lake whitney area if you were gonna pick a brand of call what would you get? Just a hen and jake decoy is all I need? I dont guess its like duckin though LOL :lol3: you would look kinda funny settin 2Doz. Turkey decoys!!!(Over Acheiver) I saw a pretty cool kit of 2 hens and a jake made by ol tom for like $40 and a 4 pack of calls made by H.S. that had pretty good reviews. Even during the spring could I still wear Realtree Hardwoods HD not the green but would it work if we got the shadows right? I have gloves boots face mask hat the whole 9 when it comes to camo (I bow hunt too) but it's all in this pattern. Thanks for the help the guy I am goin with isnt a guide but a freind who has more experience than I do he said he had a couple of tom's the afternoon before opening day gobbling by just making a calling hen cadence with his mouth! Sounds like fun to me! :grooving:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:07 am

This is my third spring so I'm definitely no expert but I don't think the camo pattern is as important as being comfortable so you're not fidgeting, and trying your best to anticipate where your shot will be to minimize your movement. We have a fall season too and during deer season I shot a tom at just over 20 yards. Was wearing my blaze orange vest and hat and he still closed from about 50 yds before he gave me a shot.
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Wingbuster58 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:21 pm

As far as calls go I would just start with a good box call and then maybe a friction call (Knight & Hale makes a good starter one with a ceramic surface). If you think you can get the hang of a mouth call then go for it. YouTube can pretty much answer any questions you have about technique with any of these calls. On the decoy side I would say that a hen and jake is just about all you need. I have almost a dozen different decoys that I like for different reasons, but I hunt over a hen and jake a good 70% of the time. Camo pattern doesn't matter as long as you watch your movements and cover your face. Good luck in the A.M. Let us know how it goes!
Wingbuster58
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum