Calling

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Calling

Postby Benelli12ga » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:41 pm

First year hunting turkeys in utah it opens tomorrow was wonder when you use a box call how often do you use it. When they gobble back do you answer back or wait for them to get closer. Any suggestions would help
Benelli12ga
hunter

Re: Calling

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Benelli12ga wrote:First year hunting turkeys in utah it opens tomorrow was wonder when you use a box call how often do you use it. When they gobble back do you answer back or wait for them to get closer. Any suggestions would help

Yes! I use a box call a lot. I mean most of the time. I can crank it up or tone it down. I also use a slate/crystal/aluminum pot call and a mouth call. Whatever call I use is based on what the turkeys like. It doesn't matter if it sounds good to you or me, only the turkey you are calling. I start out simply with a few yelps and a cluck. I want to take the birds temperature. If he answers, cuts me off, then he is hot and I will go quiet for a few minutes and see what happens. If he stays in the same place I will try to fire him up with more yelps transitioning to excited cutts and back to a couple of yelps. If the bird is coming, keep him on track with purrs and clucks sparingly. If he decides to stay in one spot, stay quiet and see if that gets the best of him. Curiosity kills. Don't overcall but keep them interested. Whatever is working keep doing it. If one call doesn't seem to strike their fancy, try a different one. Takes time to figure it out, but keep trying. You will screw up a lot but that is part of learning. You will kill more turkeys by being where they want to be learned from scouting than anything else. Spend the time in the woods and you will learn where they want to be. Over time you will find places that turkeys like to die! good luck :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Used a box call yesterday to get the birds to gobble first thing and then a mouth call to pulled a bird up to the decoys. They work great to get the birds fired up first thing in the morning and locating birds but I'm not a fan of them for anything other than that.
duckman27
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:54 am

Benelli12ga wrote:First year hunting turkeys in utah it opens tomorrow was wonder when you use a box call how often do you use it. When they gobble back do you answer back or wait for them to get closer ...

It all depends on the bird. Reading a turkey can be pretty difficult. I’d REALLY strongly suggest reading some literature on this one, pick up a couple of magazines with strategy on calling in them. Generally speaking LESS is MORE with turkeys. I personally never answer every gobble. You can be more aggressive with a bird on the roost with tree yelps, and cuts because the hens are often most vocal on the roost, but once they hit the ground, they typically don’t get really noisy again until they fly up or are about to.

ALL beginners call too much and too loud in my opinion.

Strategy is going to be different from bird to bird and from place to place.

I like to use box calls in high wind, but I still don’t really lay into them that hard because the acoustics of the box itself will carry the sound. I use slates most of the time now, and a diaphragm for purring … be versatile.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Lurch4004 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:04 pm

Most turkey hunters call too much in general. The true nature of things is for a hen to go to the gobbler. I think alot of folks forget this. I like to call first thing in the morning, if I get a response I will do a few fly down yelps and slap my hands against my thighs to imitate a fly down. I will also kick around the leaves to make the sound of a landing. Then I shut up. If he gobbles I may purr a little and scatter leaves with my hand.
I think box calls are the best for clucking and purring.
Early in the season it is tough to call a bird away from other hens, but when the hens start nesting it becomes easier. Be careful not to move too close if you know a hen is nesting as you can spook them off the nest and they will abandon the eggs.
Lurch4004
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 pm

Lurch4004 wrote:Most turkey hunters call too much in general. The true nature of things is for a hen to go to the gobbler. I think alot of folks forget this. I like to call first thing in the morning, if I get a response I will do a few fly down yelps and slap my hands against my thighs to imitate a fly down. I will also kick around the leaves to make the sound of a landing. Then I shut up. If he gobbles I may purr a little and scatter leaves with my hand.
I think box calls are the best for clucking and purring.
Early in the season it is tough to call a bird away from other hens, but when the hens start nesting it becomes easier. Be careful not to move too close if you know a hen is nesting as you can spook them off the nest and they will abandon the eggs.

I second this. Less is best. I cluck and purr 80% of the time. Just enough to get their attention. After they hit the ground I go from there... It's all about getting experience on your own though. I've come to the conclusion the #1 rule about killing gobblers is there are no rules. Nothing is definite. It's a constant learning experience.
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum