Roost Question

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Roost Question

Postby duckman27 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:00 am

So yesterday I set up over 100 yds away from the roost and we killed a bird at 6 AM. The gobbler that got killed was with a group of jakes and they weren't too spooked by the shot and stopped as soon as I called to them and then finally walked off. We gave the bigger flock of birds (around 50 or so birds) 10 minutes of so to leave the area so we could pick up the dead tom and moved on with the day. 30 minutes or so after the toms were about 300 yds away strutting around without a care in the world. I have hunted this spot a few times during the fall and you can tell that the birds roost in this area just about every night and have done so for many years.

That afternoon we set up to try to get another bird in the same area. For some reason the birds never came back to the roost. This is an area that is secluded with the nearest other patch of trees being over a mile away These are Merriams and Rios so they aren't afraid to travel but it seems a bit odd that the birds never came back. Do any of y'all know if birds will switch roosts for a night?
duckman27
hunter

Re: Roost Question

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:40 am

Absolutely. Turkeys will often just fly up wherever they are if they can. Sounds less practical where you’re hunting but there’s nothing at all that requires them to use the same roost every night, and this is especially true in the spring. Goes double for that actually.

In our area I’m actually noticing a 2 day rotation on the pattern of the birds. Initially I was thinking they were low in the morning and hillside in the afternoon and roosted accordingly, but it seems to be low one day and high the next. The wind has also been a factor in patterning.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 pm

The wind was blowing about 30 mph that afternoon so that may have had something to do with it
Last edited by duckman27 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duckman27
hunter

Postby talltimber » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:26 pm

I've seen them change trees during the night even. Well, not see them, but roost them and come back in the morning and they were in a different tree but not far away.
talltimber
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:51 am

I agree with what has already been said here on roosted toms/turkeys. They will change sites for many reasons,weather is a big factor,the second biggest factor is hens. The other is predators! Here in the northeast you can put a bird to bed and come back in the morning and set up and find that bird is 100-200 yards away,during the night for some reason they left the roost and went to another roost,my only guess is predators! Raccoons are the biggest threat to turkeys here,they climb trees and will take a turkey off the limb!

I also realize that out west birds have a larger area to travel and follow hens because of the amount of competition from other toms. That they have to stick with the hens,so if a hen is searching for food,she could drag toms miles away from the roosting sites. My suggestion is locating the hens and you will find the toms,food and nesting sites are the main priority in a hen,so these are the driving force that cause hens to move from one location to another,which in turn makes the toms follow!

Weather is another factor,cold,windy,stormy weather will make them look for thick stands of timber,fur trees here in the east,open hard woods in nicer warmer weather. Out west I would say valleys that are sheltered or provide some shelter from the elements!Or just below ridge lines that protect from strong winds and rains! Good luck in you hunting and hope you find some answers that work to help you find the birds and increase your success!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:37 am

They will be back, here most of one flock will roost high or low no matter the weather etc, but within 2,000 ft. to later in the season 1/2 mile of the main roost area. But they always head to the same old strutting area! (Spring info)
One shot one kill

Don't run in on another hunters gobbler EARN yours!

Female hunter and loving it.
RockyMtnGobblers
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum