Does wind direction affect flydown?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Does wind direction affect flydown?

Postby Omaha Clucker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:24 am

Saturday I was set up about 60 yds from the roost but the birds all flew down the opposite way and headed off the property. They roost in this draw year round so Sunday I got there early, walked the long way around and set up between the birds and property line. Of course they flew down opposite again, right where I was sitting the day before. I'm sure my calling is suspect at best so trying to take me out of the equation as much as possible I got to wondering if the wind plays a factor in how/where turkeys flydown? Does anyone take this into account when you set up knowing where they're roosted?
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Re: Does wind direction affect flydown?

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 am

Omaha Clucker wrote:Saturday I was set up about 60 yds from the roost but the birds all flew down the opposite way and headed off the property. They roost in this draw year round so Sunday I got there early, walked the long way around and set up between the birds and property line. Of course they flew down opposite again, right where I was sitting the day before. I'm sure my calling is suspect at best so trying to take me out of the equation as much as possible I got to wondering if the wind plays a factor in how/where turkeys flydown? Does anyone take this into account when you set up knowing where they're roosted?

No I don't worry about wind at flydown. It sounds more like the hens are taking their toms away from the new hen. Hens are very possessive of their tom like a good woman and will lead them away from the new hen in the neighborhood. Try not calling or using a soft clean call with no rasp like a young hen. Sometimes if you challenge the dominant hen you can pull her to you looking for a fight and the tom will follow. It fails for me more than it works. Also, if possible set up on the same side as the birds come into the night before. They will usually leave the same way. Also, stay put, most mornings they travel a short distance and the return to go the other way. Don't know why, but have seen it enough to be valid. 60 yards is awfully close to get without being seen. It doesn't mean they will flush, but might just not trust you and go the other way. Are you setting up quietly in the dark? Don't be fumbling around if the fields are getting light, you can see a lot from a tree at daybreak. Think of yourself in a deerstand. Hope this helps :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks Cujo. I thought I might be pushing it but was there a solid hour before sunrise and didn't feel like I made much noice getting there and settling in. I knew the toms would follow the hens but I guess I didn't think about the hens actively leading them away from another hen. I'll try backing off a little this weekend
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Omaha Clucker wrote:Thanks Cujo. I thought I might be pushing it but was there a solid hour before sunrise and didn't feel like I made much noice getting there and settling in. I knew the toms would follow the hens but I guess I didn't think about the hens actively leading them away from another hen. I'll try backing off a little this weekend

Just talked to a good friend and turkey killer, he is still getting whipped this year. His birds are acting the same way. There just being turkeys :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:35 am

Wind ... ? No, don't thinks so really, but farting, talking, stepping on sticks and leaves, and bad calling will ... !
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby mjohnson81 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Omaha Clucker wrote:Saturday I was set up about 60 yds from the roost but the birds all flew down the opposite way and headed off the property. They roost in this draw year round so Sunday I got there early, walked the long way around and set up between the birds and property line. Of course they flew down opposite again, right where I was sitting the day before. I'm sure my calling is suspect at best so trying to take me out of the equation as much as possible I got to wondering if the wind plays a factor in how/where turkeys flydown? Does anyone take this into account when you set up knowing where they're roosted?

I agree with Cujo1. It sounds like the hens are taking the Tom away from a potential threat the the flock. If you know where the turkeys want to go just set up on there route, with no dekes and no calling and wait. A lot of people call to much, just sit wait and be patient.

Or don't call till the birds are off the roost and start off calling softly. If you have a hen answer you call back and cut her off with calling. You'll show her your a threat and hopefully she'll come to you, to assert her dominance. I would try shutting up first and see how that works.
mjohnson81
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:05 pm

Well I'll be back out again in the morning. I'll be leaving the calls in my pocket when I get there, and based on the other advice leaving the chili in the fridge tonight! Hopefully pics to follow
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am

stupid friggin turkeys! Saturday I had 3 hens walk by me at 20 yards and I could hear a gobbler with them but never did see him. Sunday was stupid friggin me. I shot right over the back of a tom at 30-35 yards. he took off like a bat out of hell after I shot and I came home with about 4 feathers for my trouble.
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:22 am

Man that sucks ... ! That happened to me on opening moring, but I thumped a toad last Saturday to make up for it.

On another note, when the birds are on the roost, you can get away with a lot more longer, louder and aggressive calling, but you have to bring the whole tool kit, no just yelps. Cuts, purs, yelps ... all of it. Hen's get pretty crunk on the roost. Often you can pull down the Tom by outselling their nastiness ...
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby mjohnson81 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:19 am

Pouledeau wrote:Man that sucks ... ! That happened to me on opening moring, but I thumped a toad last Saturday to make up for it.

On another note, when the birds are on the roost, you can get away with a lot more longer, louder and aggressive calling, but you have to bring the whole tool kit, no just yelps. Cuts, purs, yelps ... all of it. Hen's get pretty crunk on the roost. Often you can pull down the Tom by outselling their nastiness ...

Pouledeau, I'm not saying you're wrong, but from my experience and from hearing talks by professional hunters and guides, I disagree with the loud aggressive calling while birds are on the roost. When you listen to roosted hens call, it's always a series of soft yelps as they wake up. You don't normally hear any aggressive calling till birds are on the ground.

From experience and and hearing stories, yes, loud aggressive calling will get the Tom fired up, but what you're telling the Tom is that you are excited and ready to breed. As a result of this hot hen, when the Tom flys down he will normally stay where he is, strut and not move, waiting for the hot hen to come to him, or even worse he'll stay on the roost and wait for the hen to come.

I would say wait for him to come off the roost before you give any kind of aggressive calling.
mjohnson81
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 pm

mjohnson81 wrote:
Pouledeau wrote:Man that sucks ... ! That happened to me on opening moring, but I thumped a toad last Saturday to make up for it.

Pouledeau, I'm not saying you're wrong, but from my experience and from hearing talks by professional hunters and guides, I disagree with the loud aggressive calling while birds are on the roost. When you listen to roosted hens call, it's always a series of soft yelps as they wake up. You don't normally hear any aggressive calling till birds are on the ground.

From experience and and hearing stories, yes, loud aggressive calling will get the Tom fired up, but what you're telling the Tom is that you are excited and ready to breed. As a result of this hot hen, when the Tom flys down he will normally stay where he is, strut and not move, waiting for the hot hen to come to him, or even worse he'll stay on the roost and wait for the hen to come.

I would say wait for him to come off the roost before you give any kind of aggressive calling.

Well fair enough. Certainly to be considered. But a few comments:

I said aggressive ... not loud. Huge difference! The birds we hunt are typcially most aggressive with their calling on the roost in the mornings and again when they fly up and except for the gobblers nearly competely silent all other times. These are south Texas Rio's. Also, every Tom is different, there is no set rule and as valuable as a lot of that information is coming from the "Pro's" and guides. There's plenty of people who've expereinced the same if not more than they have.

I mean. What's it take to be a pro? 12 birds? 24? 48? Or a sponsorship ...
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:25 pm

If I have hens in a tree with the toms i call very aggressive. This will usually get a tom to fly down before the hens. If you have a decoy in sight. Its usually a done deal.

IF there are no hens then I just throw out a couple of yelps and a fly down cackle, with a couple more yelps and shut up.

I am pretty deaf so all my calling is loud. wild turkey #97 fell dead on friday. I cant think of very many (if any) where loud calling has ruined my chance
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:16 pm

phutch30 wrote: ... wild turkey #97 fell dead on friday.

HOLY cow ... ! I'm up to half that and thought I was doing good ...
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:21 pm

2 shotgun grands an archery grand and have hunted 14 states and climbing every year. I kind of have an addiction. lol
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:51 am

phutch we should do a radio show or podcast together. My 4 would make us completely honest when advertising "Over 100 wild turkeys worth of experience" :lol:
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum