Pattern HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Pattern HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Postby BanginBeaks » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:20 pm

I have a benelli super nove. 24" barrel. i bought a jelly head .655 choke and H.S. Strut Under Taker .675 choke. Im shooting 3.5" #4 federal copper plated with the flight control wad AND 3.5" #4 remmington nitro mag loads. Both are only shooting about 45-55 pellets ina 10" circle at 40 yards.. I need help! what loads should i buy? I dont really want to buy another choke tube. I just think i might be using the wrong size/brand of shells.. Please lmk what you guys think. Season is around the corner!
BanginBeaks
hunter

Re: Pattern HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:30 pm

BanginBeaks wrote:I have a benelli super nove. 24" barrel. i bought a jelly head .655 choke and H.S. Strut Under Taker .675 choke. Im shooting 3.5" #4 federal copper plated with the flight control wad AND 3.5" #4 remmington nitro mag loads. Both are only shooting about 45-55 pellets ina 10" circle at 40 yards.. I need help! what loads should i buy? I dont really want to buy another choke tube. I just think i might be using the wrong size/brand of shells.. Please lmk what you guys think. Season is around the corner!

I would suggest starting with a smaller size shot in the jelly head. You will also find that most often smaller payloads pattern better than the large payloads, you might try 3 inch shells with a 17/8 payload. The best patterns are coming out of Hevi 13 7's or mag blend. Although expensive, they are producing outstanding patterns. If you have some buddies that will trade a shell or two that is a good way to keep the expense down of patterning. Also, what does the rest of your pattern look like? Are you shooting at a large piece of paper to know where all of the pellets are going? If you are shooting a small target, you might just be seeing the fringe of your pattern on the target, which means your gun may not shoot straight. I use a minimum of 3 foot square pieces of paper for all of my patterning just to make sure what is what. I personally shoot an undertaker choke in my Mossberg, but out of my Benelli the undertaker is horrible. You will find different guns and chokes don't act the same any of the time. Start shooting and happy patterning. Let me know if I can help you more. Also, On Turkey hunting chat there are some guys that can probably help you more than myself :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby hawglips » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:52 am

Get some Hevi-13 #6s, 3", 2 oz. You'll triple the 10" count and greatly increase your gun's lethality.
hawglips
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:36 pm

Maybe I got a bad batch of hevi 13's but I had terrible luck with them. They patterned decent but wouldnt kill the birds for me. I had to shoot the 3 birds I took with my box 2x each.

I need to mention I had no other choice but to continue using them as there were no other options near by
Last edited by phutch30 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby talltimber » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:43 pm

I haven't noticed anyone mentioning them but the Win. Extended Range HD 2oz #6 are some bad boys also. I've shot them the last two years. I don't want to say how far I killed a bird with it last year as I don't want some kids or somebody to necessarily try one that far, but due to the circumstances at the time (we were attempting a double), and this turkeys body was protected by a small knoll he was standing behind. I could only see his head. It was a long ways. Dad killed the other one at 25yds that had turned and was starting away.
Killed my first bird this year at 47yds, he was hung up out in the pasture. Dad had a good setup and killed his first this year at 20yds.
talltimber
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Try the Hevi Shot Mag Blends. I had the same issue with my pattern blowing up with Nitro #4's and now i'm shooting the Mag Blends and have to say that they are they best thing I've ever shot. I shot a bird at 40 yds this past weekend and the neck and head were mangled with holes. The only issue with the Mag Blend is that they are the most expensive load i've seen and they kick HARD. They perform well enough that these "issues" aren't a problem
duckman27
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:46 pm

checking the pattern at 40 yrds. for turkeys :huh: I assume you are just seeing what the pattern is at max distance.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Get rid of the 4s they really have no place in turkey hunting
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:54 pm

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Get rid of the 4s they really have no place in turkey hunting

Amen to that
duckman27
hunter

Postby hawglips » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:50 am

phutch30 wrote:Maybe I got a bad batch of hevi 13's but I had terrible luck with them. They patterned decent but wouldnt kill the birds for me. I had to shoot the 3 birds I took with my box 2x each.

I need to mention I had no other choice but to continue using them as there were no other options near by

Did you pattern them prior to shooting turkeys with them to check your POA vs POI and the pattern density?
hawglips
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:03 am

oh course. patterned fine. Not as good as the old remington 3.5 #6 HD waterfowl loads I loved but a good pattern.

I rolled 3 birds at between 25 and 40 yards in 3 days and they got up and ran requiring backup shots. This will happen on rare occasions over a turkey hunting career, but it pretty darn odd for it to happen 3x in a row in 3 days. Ive shot sufficent birds to know when its me and when its equipment failure.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby BanginBeaks » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:32 pm

I bought the plane Jane hevi-shot #5 and 3x the pellets on target! Thanks guys!
BanginBeaks
hunter

Postby Maineduckhunter » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Start off by deep cleaning your barrel, even if it's chrome lined. Cordless drill, some green Scotch Brite pads, cleaning rod, soak in your choice of solvent, and go to town, make a few passes, Swab it clean, change out the pad with a new one, then scrub and swab clean, do this a few times.
Even though the gun takes 3.5" shells, use 3" instead, and try out the 3" Heavy-13 shells in #6 shot, or even the #7's, you should see an improvement in pattern density.
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Deep clean and polish your barrel is a great start. This is a pretty detailed post on how to, and what you can use
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=182.0

Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:10 am

Turkey season is approaching so bringing this from the dead...

Sounds like your choke is too tight for the size of pellets, would suggest a more open choke or smaller pellet size.

I for one shoot Hevi13 3" #6's and it patterns great and hits super hard. I'd suggest to give it a try.
rebelcj7
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Here's a link to a turkey load article that might be helpful.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunti ... _loads.htm

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:34 am

Almost all the turkeys I've taken were with 4's.I have no use for the over priced specialized "turkey" shells.They work but why pay more.I have taken a few birds with 6's but IMO you're much better off with 4's or 5's for the penetration at longer distance should the need arise.It rarely does but still.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby waterswater96 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 am

I have shot nothing but Winchester #5 shot 3" or 3 1/2 both work outstandingly never have had a turkey get up after the shot.
Hilljacks at there finest.
Too many birds not enough shells.
waterswater96
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:17 pm

I'll second several points above

clean the barrel really well and ditch the 4's for either some 6's (Try the Winchester Longbeard XR's if you can find them) or, better yet, the HeviShot mag blends. roughly $30/box but you can get a $10 rebate off their website. I've patterned multiple shells through my Stoeger 3500 with tightwad choke and 3" shells seem to always pattern better than the same shell in 3.5", with the mag blends and Winchester Longbeards performing the best.
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby m3500 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Smaller shot tighter choke or larger shot more open choke. I personally shoot 6 shot Winchesters (not sure exactly what they are). I was using a full choke and killed two birds with that last year, but they were only at 20 yards or so. Then I switched to x-full and completely stoned one flying at 35 yards or so. But as a general rule don't over choke larger shot or your pattern will be crap you can get away with tighter chokes and small shot, I would recommend 6 shot just try some different brands(try some Winchester loads).
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Postby d.winsor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:30 am

I want to hunt where you hunt, 3 birds in 3 days, WOW !
d.winsor
hunter

Postby m3500 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:54 pm

That's the way it sounds, but not the way it went. 1 in spring, 1 in fall, and the last one the next year in fall. You can however kill two in spring where I hunt, just need two tags. Lastly all gobblers not that it matters, but I have yet to put a bead on a hen, maybe this fall.
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Postby justinmi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:09 am

I would recommend HEVI-13 magnum blend. I steam rolled this overgrown chicken at 55 yards with 3.5# mag blend using a hevi shot turkey choke, I mean he went no where but in the dirt. He had several pellets that hit his head and exited the back and again this bird was at 55 yards no lie. The magnum blend load is straight nasty IMO. Good luck with whatever you choose.

P.S. The box in the pic is actually hevi-13 #6 for my wife's 20ga, my magnum blend box got sent back to take advantage of the rebate that they are offering!
Attachments
Turkey hunter.jpg
HEVI-13 mag blend doin work!
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Postby justinmi » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:20 am

BanginBeaks wrote:I bought the plane Jane hevi-shot #5 and 3x the pellets on target! Thanks guys!

Hey OP how did those plain jane hevi shot #5's work out for you on an actual bird?
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Postby duckr68 » Fri May 02, 2014 6:24 am

Winchester longbeard xr look at you tube videos awesome out to 70yrds
duckr68
hunter

Next

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum