Scope vs BEad

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Scope vs BEad

Postby preacherdan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Whats the favor of you guys, open sight or scope. I have always shot just with the standard BB on my turkey gun but i see all these guys with scopes, whats the plus side of the scope? To me it seems like one more thing to go wrong, i also hunt alot of thick woods, let me kno your opinon
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Re: Scope vs BEad

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:08 pm

I've tried scopes and red dots, but I still prefer a bead. It is just so much more versatile in low light, quick aiming situations for me.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:50 pm

It all depends on your preference. I personally like just a plain old bead. I know some die hard turkey hunters that swear by red dots. As long as you hold steady on the bird it doesn't matter what you shoot in my opinion. I think the main reason people miss turkeys is because the pull the shot high or to the sides. You can do that with both a bead and a scope
duckman27
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:44 am

ive used a bead sight for turkey hunting. i think with the range of turkey hunting scopes are unnecessary and is just something to go wrong. i wouldnt mind trying a red dot because it would give a more open sight picture but for now im sticking with my bead sight.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby hawglips » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:56 am

I like plain beads.

But I think it's very important for any hunter to make sure he spends enough time at the range so that he'll be able to put the core of his pattern where he's aiming it.
hawglips
hunter

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:34 pm

I use true glow sites, love them.
One shot one kill

Don't run in on another hunters gobbler EARN yours!

Female hunter and loving it.
RockyMtnGobblers
hunter

Postby coyote2 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:56 pm

I use a ghost ring peep and a fiber front bead.
coyote2
hunter

Postby arkrem870 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:28 am

I only used the bead for years until I got a browning gold 10 on trade. I intended on making it a dedicated turkey gun but when I patterened it the gun was over a foot high. I ended up drilling and tapping the gun and getting an open red dot so I could pull the pattern down. In the last two years I've killed quite a few birds with the gun and love the open red dot. You can see them from their feet to the top of their head when you pull the trigger. I'll never go back to shooting bead only now I've had the optic
arkrem870
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum