which Benelli gun should I use for spring turkey?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

which Benelli gun should I use for spring turkey?

Postby Kirksingleton » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:37 pm

Ok, thanks everybody for your help on chokes, I ended up buying the heavy shot turkey choke.
Now I am trying to choose between my guns:
Benelli SBE2 with 28" barrel, field stock, bead sight but I could het the weaver base and mount eotec on it, camo
Benelli m4 with 19.5" barrel, pistol grip stock and eotec and ghost ring sights, black color but I could add camo tape.
I am leaning toward the sbe with bead sights but think the short barrel may be fun!
I wonder if the m4 pistol stock will fit in the sbe?
thanks for your help!
Kirksingleton
hunter

Re: which Benelli gun should I use for spring turkey?

Postby GomerPyle » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:21 am

personally, I'd rather have the shorter barrel and pistol grip stock. but mainly, the shorter barrel because it will be significantly lighter and more maneuverable in brush....with that said, my all-purpose hunting gun is a Stoeger 3500 with a 28" barrel. It gets the job done, but if you do a lot of "run and gun" turkey hunting, it will flat wear you out. I've seriously considered buying a 24" barrel for it and the factory pistol grip stock, but that's about a $300 investment and I'm not convinced it'd make enough of a difference.

I've got a Winchester 1300 pump with a 24" barrel that I've thought about having camo-dipped and using it for turkeys. I've weighed both guns and the Winchester is a full 3 pounds lighter.
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby zoutly » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:59 pm

While all those guns are great i wouldn't waste the money on them for just a turkey gun, unless of course you plan on that being your duck gun too. I personally just use a nova pump with a red dot and ic choke. you really don't need anything amazing for turkey just make sure it can shoot 3 1/2 and you should be set.....just my 2 cents
zoutly
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:36 pm

zoutly wrote:While all those guns are great i wouldn't waste the money on them for just a turkey gun, unless of course you plan on that being your duck gun too. I personally just use a nova pump with a red dot and ic choke. you really don't need anything amazing for turkey just make sure it can shoot 3 1/2 and you should be set.....just my 2 cents

It has to be able to shoot 3 1/2's? :huh:
duckman27
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:49 pm

zoutly wrote:just make sure it can shoot 3 1/2 and you should be set.....just my 2 cents

:no: a lot of people find they actually get better patterns with a 3" version of a given shell than with a 3.5" version

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby Kirksingleton » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:37 pm

thanks guys for the comments!
I actually own both guns now. One is my duck gun and the other is my HD gun. So I don't need to buy anything new.
I think the SBE is probably my better choice but I really like to shoot the m4 more (entertainment value alone).
Kirksingleton
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:02 am

GomerPyle wrote:
zoutly wrote:just make sure it can shoot 3 1/2 and you should be set.....just my 2 cents

:no: a lot of people find they actually get better patterns with a 3" version of a given shell than with a 3.5" version

Especially Benelli and there smaller bore diameter..

I would opt for the M4 the ghost ring and or Eotech are both fantastic sighting devices for turkey.. With the SBE you are bound to hoping the POI matches POA with the load that patterns best or put the Eotech on which you will than take off again for fowl..

Additionally once you hunt a pistol grip for turkey you most likely will never go back.. Its a much more comfortable grip for turkey and the fact that recoil is displaced into too spots really takes the recoil and jump out of big turkey loads.
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:28 am

I bought a Benelli M2 20 gauge with a 24" barrel after hunting with my Cordoba 20 gauge with a 28" barrel for years bc I finally got sick of that long barrel hanging in the brush and limbs when moving around in the woods. That 4" makes a world of difference, not to mention that the M2 20 gauge weighs merely 5.7 pounds and comes in APG!

Before anyone starts on the whole "20 gauge isn't enough gun for the job..", I'll go ahead and say that it is plenty of gun if you shoot em in the head!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:19 am

Mojo281 wrote:Before anyone starts on the whole "20 gauge isn't enough gun for the job..", I'll go ahead and say that it is plenty of gun if you shoot em in the head!!

especially if you shoot TSS

GomerPyle
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum