Is new technology worth it?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Is new technology worth it?

Postby hurtin_honkers » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:34 pm

My thought for the day, with turkey hunting up and coming is wondering if all the new advances in chokes, barrels, ammo, wads, and shot are worth it? Recently I had to change stocks on my remington 870 20gauge youth, (cracked stock) and once I put the synthetic black stock on it got creative and bought a saddle mount, and a red dot, and it gotm me thinking. For turkeys I use my rem 12 gauge 1100 with a fixed modified barrel. For those who do not know, that means the barrel does not take a choke tube. I have patterned turkey loads, and waterfowl loads and buck shot loads, and I have found that the longest shot I should take is 30-35 yards. The pattern is very wide, which makes it a perfect bird gun. Now I have missed 2 turkeys with this gun (both first turkeys of the year) and both were around 50 yards. I know a lot of people who buy super tight chokes, expensive flight control ammo that holds tighter patterns longer, and with shot heavier than lead to be more lethal at far ranges, and even scopes. But I can honestly say I have had so much more fun and it's been way more exciting getting that bird 20 yards or even closer, (closet shot about 10 yards) where your adrenaline is pumping and u can hear the bird breath almost. What's the excitement in shooting a bird at 60 yards?
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: Is new technology worth it?

Postby duckman27 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Are you doing body shots on these turkeys? "Very Wide" is not something you really want to associate your turkey pattern with :huh:
duckman27
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:25 pm

I'll take the "new technology" any day. particularly quality chokes and specialty shells......and it's not because I want to shoot them at 50+ yds....I still plan to shoot at 30yds or less, but when I do hit one at that range, I don't want just a few pellets hitting them....I want to knock them d!ck-in-the-dirt dead.
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:24 am

Is it simply delegated to the shooting aspect of the sport? Look at decoys, 15 years ago we had unrealistic foam decoys that did not work more than they worked.. Than we moved to the highly realistic DSD type decoys and success with decoys climbed, than came the strutters which are undeniably the most effective decoy ever and allows folks to kill birds they never would have killed.. I have been down the decoy road and I realized that it allowed me to do things I could not have normally done as the bird is so focused on the decoy.. Alabama should have never caved and allowed decoys to be used for hunting..

Lets look at blinds.. We are hunting a critter that relies solely on visuals for defense, Yes he has a sense of hearing but the audio is simply a cue for the visual to confirm or deny the presence of danger. Essentially sitting in a blind you are hunting a turkey with a blindfold on and making up for ones lack of ability to set still and move when essential.. With a turkey having little no sense of smell for me hunting out of a blind is the equivalent of hunting a whitetail with no sense of smell while having a invisibility cloak on.. There is really no reason an able bodied hunter should ever sit in a blind..

Outdoor TV and the marketing machine they are have watered down turkey hunting for the new and naive.. We have taken a sport where the quarry is truly not that hard to kill if you pay attention and added gadgets and gizmos to make the sport easier. The portrayal that this is the norm is a slap to the face of the true essence of the sport..

While long range turkey gunning truly disgusts me and I personally try to hold shots under 40 yards the advancement of guns, chokes, loads is the least degrading aspect of the sport IMO..
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:07 pm

I thought the point, ultimately, was to kill a bird that you (presumably) plan on eating? sure, the "sporting" aspect is fun for a lot of people, but there are a lot of people to varying degrees that just want to go out and pop a bird as quickly and efficiently as possible...

maybe you should stick to throwing rocks at them
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby waterswater96 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:11 pm

The newer technology is a great advantage. I shoot a mossberg 835a with a pistol grip , adjustable stock , and a red dot sight. My choke tube is a mossberg accumag which is basically a extra full. I prefer to shoot turkey's with 30 yards but sometimes you have a stubborn tom who won't come any closer than 55-60 which the accumag choke comes in very handy. I hunt turkey's for ss port and sustenance so a down bird is a down bird. I'd he gets within 20 yards now I have a very small pattern an a very small object to hit which increases the odds of hitting the bird.now of course turkey guns are not needed with the right shells and choke for patterning but it puts you at a better advantage . I don't want to call in a bird to 55-60 yard and have him get away all it does is educate them since your trying to break the laws of nature and have the tom come to a hen .

Good luck this season
Hilljacks at there finest.
Too many birds not enough shells.
waterswater96
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:02 am

I also have an 835.Mine came with the Ulti Mag .695 tube.While this choke works great Mberg intentionally went with what they felt would be best going by what the NWTF said was the distance most turkeys are shot.I also have Kicks GT .680 tube.This one really tightens up the pattern for long shots but also makes aiming more critical at short range.IMO it's worth it both for the range and less shot in the meat.While the FO sights that came on the 24" barrel also worked well I put Weaver's Micro Dot on anyway.I've never had to rush a shot on turkeys but if and when the time comes this sight is much quicker than the open FO's to get on target.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:57 am

hurtin_honkers wrote:My thought for the day, with turkey hunting up and coming is wondering if all the new advances in chokes, barrels, ammo, wads, and shot are worth it? Recently I had to change stocks on my remington 870 20gauge youth, (cracked stock) and once I put the synthetic black stock on it got creative and bought a saddle mount, and a red dot, and it gotm me thinking. For turkeys I use my rem 12 gauge 1100 with a fixed modified barrel. For those who do not know, that means the barrel does not take a choke tube. I have patterned turkey loads, and waterfowl loads and buck shot loads, and I have found that the longest shot I should take is 30-35 yards. The pattern is very wide, which makes it a perfect bird gun. Now I have missed 2 turkeys with this gun (both first turkeys of the year) and both were around 50 yards. I know a lot of people who buy super tight chokes, expensive flight control ammo that holds tighter patterns longer, and with shot heavier than lead to be more lethal at far ranges, and even scopes. But I can honestly say I have had so much more fun and it's been way more exciting getting that bird 20 yards or even closer, (closet shot about 10 yards) where your adrenaline is pumping and u can hear the bird breath almost. What's the excitement in shooting a bird at 60 yards?

What was the point of determining an effective range again if you're going to shoot 20 yards past it? Or did you miss and then go back to pattern and find out why you missed?
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum