gobbler decoy?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

gobbler decoy?

Postby justinmi » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:41 am

Should I get a gobbler decoy, are they more effective than using just a hen decoy? I'm still a newb to this I have only been out a few days the past few seasons, and I always get them to the 60-100 yard range and they hang up. Will the gobbler deke mounting a hen increase the odds that one will come charging in?
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Re: gobbler decoy?

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:30 am

All turkey decoys are completely unnecessary ... I've killed dozens and dozens of birds, and have never killed one over a decoy. In my experience, they spook more birds than they attract. They're NOT ducks ... BUT - I see people getting it done over decoys all the time.

... for what it's worth ...

I will say however, I'm really curious to try the Dirty B Wounded Gobbler Decoy. THAT seems like an ace in the hole ...
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Unless you set up on the big mature birds, gobbler dekes tend to scare more than help in my opinion. A young bird will hightail it outta there when he sees that big boy. BUT if you have a boss gobbler come in, he will go crazy on that thing tryin to whip him. Its hit or miss.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby justinmi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:45 am

Well thanks for the input gents! I will be in west Texas Friday thru Monday trying to get my first bird, so I will heed the advice and give it a go the first few days with no decoys and see what transpires.
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:14 am

I've had good success with and without a hen decoy.I would never use a gobbler decoy.As good a way to get shot as you could ask for.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:38 am

Ive shot turkeys over gobbler decoys and think they work great. Granted everything has a time and place. I hunt a lot of older mature birds, so gobbler decoys work great. I normally put 1 or 2 hens close to the gobbler. This setup works great ive found. I know one company makes a jake decoy in strut. I think that would work very well next to a hen because a mature gobbler even two years old will know that he can get that hen from a jake. Gobblers always beat jakes when they are competing for a hen.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby Three curls » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:50 am

Use of gobbler decoys has its place and time. If they are still flocked up & establishing pecking order you can have good results. Once the pecking order has been established and until breakup they are less effective. Once breakup occurrs it's a 50/50 crap shoot -so I go to a quarter strut jake and a hen. It seems this has scared fewer subdominant birds away through my encounters. Once breeding is mostly done and they get to the headache stage where the gobblers are isolated on the roost and through the day go to hen only if using a decoy at all.
I also avoid them in tight timber or brush. It helps to have the strutter or jake facing you head on - this way when the confrontational tom goes to swat the decoy he's putting his 20 degree blind spot to your advantage when his bum is square to you when facing the decoy head on.
Also as a safety measure never use a strutter on public ground and always try to set up on a tree wider than your shoulders when possible.
Three curls
hunter

Postby vermontster0341 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:19 am

I would try a half strut Jake before a tom decoy. I have the DSD Jake and breeder hen. Got them last year and had a tom leave two hens and come 300 yards across a field to beat his *** after he knocked him over he got on top of the hen and tried to breed her, I shot him while he was on top of the hen at 18 yards. That's the only bird I've ever killed over a decoy it was an awesome experience. With the half strut Jake even a less dominant tom will roll in on it. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vermontster0341
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum