gobbler decoy?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

gobbler decoy?

Postby justinmi » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:41 am

Should I get a gobbler decoy, are they more effective than using just a hen decoy? I'm still a newb to this I have only been out a few days the past few seasons, and I always get them to the 60-100 yard range and they hang up. Will the gobbler deke mounting a hen increase the odds that one will come charging in?
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Re: gobbler decoy?

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:30 am

All turkey decoys are completely unnecessary ... I've killed dozens and dozens of birds, and have never killed one over a decoy. In my experience, they spook more birds than they attract. They're NOT ducks ... BUT - I see people getting it done over decoys all the time.

... for what it's worth ...

I will say however, I'm really curious to try the Dirty B Wounded Gobbler Decoy. THAT seems like an ace in the hole ...
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Unless you set up on the big mature birds, gobbler dekes tend to scare more than help in my opinion. A young bird will hightail it outta there when he sees that big boy. BUT if you have a boss gobbler come in, he will go crazy on that thing tryin to whip him. Its hit or miss.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby justinmi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:45 am

Well thanks for the input gents! I will be in west Texas Friday thru Monday trying to get my first bird, so I will heed the advice and give it a go the first few days with no decoys and see what transpires.
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:14 am

I've had good success with and without a hen decoy.I would never use a gobbler decoy.As good a way to get shot as you could ask for.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:38 am

Ive shot turkeys over gobbler decoys and think they work great. Granted everything has a time and place. I hunt a lot of older mature birds, so gobbler decoys work great. I normally put 1 or 2 hens close to the gobbler. This setup works great ive found. I know one company makes a jake decoy in strut. I think that would work very well next to a hen because a mature gobbler even two years old will know that he can get that hen from a jake. Gobblers always beat jakes when they are competing for a hen.
thomashamm2
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum