Late Spring in MD - Observations and Advice

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Late Spring in MD - Observations and Advice

Postby bpo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi Folks, This is my third season turkey hunting and I am completely hooked. I have not been out enough years to understand the patterns but I can tell this spring is much later than the previous two springs in the Maryland area. I suppose it is not so different elsewhere. MD keeps to the same dates regardless of the conditions. Last year the season opened long after the woods were leafed out and it seemed that there was a good couple weeks in April and the gobblers were done by early May. I've been out a couple times this week- heard two birds Monday and heard nothing on Wednesday. I'm hoping that they haven't really hit their stride so that I will have more opportunities later into the season. Can any seasoned turkey slayer weigh in on this and give a greenhorn hope that the season is going to last!

Happy Hunting!
bpo
hunter

Re: Late Spring in MD - Observations and Advice

Postby fowlhabit4 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:48 am

Its all about the dates. Hens nest and lay according to daylight time. Its to provide the brood the greatest chance at survival during the best temperatures and seasonal rains. The gobblers may peak at different times or hen up differently year to year. But I promise they wont be done. If gobbling seems minimal, hang tight and hunt slow. Patience will kill turkeys when gobbling is low or weather is bad. Scout your area, know your birds, and you will tag out. Good Luck!!
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby bpo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:25 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to get out later this week.
bpo
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Get after it!! Are birds have gotten tight lipped, hopefully the next few days of rain will give them an attitude adjustment!! Bout to piss me off!! For some encouragement check out my new youtube channel and share with your buddies!!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF-F-nChHQvnpqAPG_mG9lg :beer: :beer:
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:31 am

I'm all about getting a turkey early in the season, but sometimes I just can't get back to the home place in kansas till late season. I can say without a doubt, the best turkey hunting I've ever had in Kansas was when we weren't able to get back to kansas till the third week of May, with season almost over I was concerned that there wouldn't be much activity and honestly I'd never hunted that late before. What I found was the woods devoid of hunters and the birds going crazy. Most of the hens were down with the old toms finding any jennys they could. It was far and away the best hunting for big birds I've ever been in on. I certainly don't worry about late season hunting anymore. I shot my two biggest gobblers in 29 years on that late May hunt.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:14 am

As the season drags on, the number of un-bred hens continues to decrease. Once the breedable hens are gone you end up with gobblers wandering around trying to find whatever un-bred hen might be left. Hens often wander over large areas looking for the ideal nesting location. Gobblers will do the same thing looking for hens late in the season.

In my opinion the best stretch of the season is the tail end of it.

Look at it this way: Would you rather sit in your living room and have all the women come to you or would you rather go out to the bars and have to work for it? Turkeys really aren't much different than any other guy. Early in the year the women are coming to them so there's no reason for them to go out and work for it. As the supply of women goes down though, just like any other guy, he has to go out, work and try to find one. This is when you'll see the wandering toms. Good Luck :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:12 pm

:clapping: :clapping:
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Mon May 05, 2014 11:11 am

fowlhabit4 wrote:Its all about the dates. Hens nest and lay according to daylight time. Its to provide the brood the greatest chance at survival during the best temperatures and seasonal rains. The gobblers may peak at different times or hen up differently year to year. But I promise they wont be done. If gobbling seems minimal, hang tight and hunt slow. Patience will kill turkeys when gobbling is low or weather is bad. Scout your area, know your birds, and you will tag out. Good Luck!!

Truer words have never been spoken. I hear every year people telling me it's "happening early", etc etc ... fact of the matter is, gobblers will start in Jan./Feb. you just aren't hearing them cause you're probably not out there ... ! Bottom line, you're trying to kill a rooster, and those damn things are always making noise - kept at em boys! They'll do it for you.

Great post!
Pouledeau
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum