Turkey loads

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Turkey loads

Postby msdawkins » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:24 pm

What is the best shell for turkey hunting. And what kind of choke. I will be shooting a Benelli Nova
msdawkins
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:23 pm

hmmm where to begin...
well, as with most any type of hunting, different people will give you different answers on what to shoot. I dont hunt turkey all that often, but will give you my .02. Most people will use a full or even extra full choke for turkey. they're generally a stationary target when you shoot, and will be around 25 yards out- people who hunt them more can correct me if im wrong on the yardage- and seldom will you shoot outside of 35-40 yards. it also depends on your shot selection and willingness to try to get them in as close as possible. I favor a 3" #4 for turkey, trying several different brands/types to see which patterns best. at relatively close range shots on a still target, using a full choke (IMHO) will put enough pellets together to easily kill a turkey no matter what type of shell you shoot. That's just my opinion though. by no means am I a great turkey hunter, nor do I hunt them frequently enough to say that's how to do it. Some other guys should be better help to ya, and if nothing else, I gave you an example of what works for at least one person. (Me)
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Re: Turkey loads

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:27 pm

msdawkins wrote:What is the best shell for turkey hunting. And what kind of choke. I will be shooting a Benelli Nova

First I highly recommend shooting 3" Heavy 13 or also goes by Heavy shot. The 3 1/2" don`t seem to pattern as well even though you have more pellets. As far as chokes I personaly recommend either Pure Gold or Indian Creek. Both are top of the line.

Then take the needed time to pattern your shotgun. And buy some True Glow style rifle sights. Will make all the difference in the world

STUMP

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:34 pm

Not sure what a nova shoots best but my 870 shoots remington nitro turkey with a full choke better than anything. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby DuckKing » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:45 pm

Remington Nitro 5's for a nova, used to use my nova for duck hunting but has some kick to it now just use it for turkey w/XXXfull choke :thumbsup:
CS
DuckKing
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Ive been using 3 1/2" Winchester Supreme XX #6 turkey loads out of my Nova. I use a Primos Jelly Head choke tube in Extra Full. With this combo my guns patterns very well. Ive killed birds out to 40 yd with it no problem. Anything beyond that ill get em another day. Just because this combo works for me, does not mean it will work for you.

What you need to do is buy one box of a few different brands and see what patterns best. Also test your pattern at various ranges. It may sound pricey, and it is a little, but its much better knowing your pattern than missing or maming a bird because you have a hole in your pattern. Youll want to test those loads with different chokes too to find the most effective pattern.

Happy shooting, happy huntin'. :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby dgraves » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:28 pm

I use a Benelli Super Nova with a 24" barrel and I shot the Winchester Spreme 3 1/2 #5's with a Benelli extended extra full turkey choke. And it shots great. I rolled 2 toms up at the same time at 52 yards last year with this combo.
dgraves
State Moderator

continuation

Postby 20bolt » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:48 pm

I personally think that #4 is too big. I use #5 in 3 1/2 loads. I also use an extra full choke. As was said they are pretty much stationary, and the extremely tight pattern is key.

++Edit++ I was actually patterning my gun this weekend and I got much more consistent spread with a full choke and #5, 3-1/2 loads. -On a 5" x 2" piece of aluminum tape, I was consistently placing 7-9 shots on the tape, with plenty of additional shots around the kill zone.
Last edited by 20bolt on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20bolt
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:47 am

Out of my Benelli SBE I with Carlson's Ext. Full choke i have got best patterning out of 3" shells. My go to ammo. is federal 3" copper plated 6 shot
That works best for my gun but you may want to try a few diff shells but i do think that you will find 3" shells will pattern better out of a benelli barrel than 3-1/2" shells will

Good luck
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:54 pm

Guess I'm old school, still like the Winchester Turkey loads in # 5. Stepped up to a Rem super mag 870 (Ex full tube)and still continuing with that shell in a 3 1/2". They do the trick out of my gun :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:27 am

Funny you say that about the 5's there Cut'un, I been using the 3inch Winchester Turkey Loads in #4 now for quite a few years in my 870 as my main turkey gun, hasn't let me down yet.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby trigger22 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:06 am

i concur cut-un. the winchester supremes are truly amazing. but stump your correct as well them heavy shots are somethin else. i shoot a number 5 winchester supreme unless i am in an area where my only cover puts me at a disadvantage due to range. then i shoot the heavy shot 6. both in 3 1/2 out of an sbe2 with a full choke. but as has been suggested before different chokes and shot type pattern differently in every gun. experiment and find what works the best for you.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby BullCajun » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:03 pm

Win. Supreme 3 1/2 # 6 out of a factory full tube in my SX2

s
BullCajun
hunter

Re: Turkey loads

Postby cutt-down » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:31 am

stumpjumper wrote:
msdawkins wrote:What is the best shell for turkey hunting. And what kind of choke. I will be shooting a Benelli Nova

First I highly recommend shooting 3" Heavy 13 or also goes by Heavy shot. The 3 1/2" don`t seem to pattern as well even though you have more pellets. As far as chokes I personaly recommend either Pure Gold or Indian Creek. Both are top of the line.

Then take the needed time to pattern your shotgun. And buy some True Glow style rifle sights. Will make all the difference in the world

STUMP

STUMP

I agree but will add that Win Supreme 3" 5's in 1 3/4oz are a great load as well. Gonna go pattern some Hevi-13 2oz 6's this afternoon outta my Indian Creek .665.
cutt-down
hunter

Postby dgraves » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:47 pm

In my opion I think these shells are the best. It is what a buddy of mine uses in Missouri. I about had a heart attack when I saw the price on them but he gave me 2 shells and let me pattern them. Let me tell you they pattern perfect. Read the info on the website and it will tell you what choke and shell to use with what kind of gun you have. http://www.nitrocompany.com/
dgraves
State Moderator

Postby echoXLT » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:57 pm

We have tried alot of different chokes and loads, and what works the best out of our guns are Winchester Xtended 3.5" #5 with either a XXXfull Comp-n-choke or a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder.
echoXLT
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum