best Diaphragm call turkey

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

best Diaphragm call turkey

Postby cONG » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:19 pm

what mouth call have you killed the most turkeys with or you like the best?

I have the new primos sonic dome but it just dont sound good but it has good reviews on it at cabels's
cONG
hunter

Postby Labs » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:27 pm

I don't like any of the diaphrams that have the plastic dome piece, if this is what you are referring to. They are ok for the new caller, but they don't let you make all the other noises you need to be able to make. HS came out with a new line this year, that I was impressed with....their older calls were stiff and a little too big....the new yellow ones are awesome. MADD also has excellent diaphram calls, as does Knight and Hale....

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby O'Mordha » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:48 pm

You really have to buy a few and find out which ones work the best and fit the best for you. I use the sonice domes and love the tone and fit I get out of em. However, my father can't stand the sonic domes and typically uses the other styles from Primos. Both are very effective, but both might not be right for you. Also, I really had to break my calls in. Wear em down a bit and they fit and sound much better! :thumbsup:
O'Mordha
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:52 pm

I bought a three pack of the Primos calls from Gander today. Each one is different. I wanted to be able to play with each one and figure out which one fit best, etc. It had an instructional CD with it, which was kinda nice since I'm somewhat of a beginner. IMO, the biggest factor with those three was which one fit best. The one that really was the best fit in my mouth, is the one I'll use the most. There were a few things that I could do with the other ones though (and couldn't with the other), so I'll be totin those along as well.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby birdslayer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:49 pm

Any of you guys gobble with a mouth call?
birdslayer
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:07 pm

That was the easiest call for me to pick up. I was showing a buddy mine the new calls I got the other day. The one that I liked the least as I was trying them out, happened to be the one that I can gobble with. I didn't realize that you could gobble with a diaphram until I did it listening to that CD. My buddy was torqued about it cause he can't do it. I told him it's the exact same thing as doing the feeding chuckle on a duck call. All he said was, "friggin duck hunters"! It really is though, and I think it sounds great.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby TommyW » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:03 pm

When I turkey hunted, I used Quaker Boy old boss hen and a couple of other Quaker boy mouth calls.
WHAT SAID IN THE BLIND STAYS IN THE BLIND
TommyW
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:49 pm

I use the HS Strut line of mouth calls. Haven't let me down yet :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:43 pm

I`ve killed more birds with a Presston Pittman Black Diamond diaphram. It is my go to mouthcall.
I think I`ve tried almost every mfg out there and all of the gimics. The bottom right criper draw in the fridge is full of diaphrams. About 3 years ago I was in Fayett Al and stopped at a store called the Gobbler Shack. I picked up two diaphrams out of there. A small company. The one call is SWEEEEEEEETTTTTT. I have tried to remember who made it but just can`t remember. I called the factory I was at and asked one of the guys I know to go over to the shop and pick me up a few more calls. But he said the went out of buisness. This will probably be the last year I will be able to use that call :thumbsdown: I`d do anything to find out what small company makes it

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dep6 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:22 am

I been getting the best of the Quaker Boy mouth calls.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby trigger22 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:13 am

i've yet to find a brand that actually makes better calls. every time a company comes out with a new call i give it a whirl just to see if i like it. i hate them dome calls though. they sound ok but you really are limited to what you can do. if i had to pick a favorite it'd prolly be cody or knight and hale. not all of their calls are worth a hoot but a few are pretty good. i am a really big fan of the local man. if there are local call makers in my area i generally support them and use their products. most of the time they are the best.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:23 am

birdslayer wrote:Any of you guys gobble with a mouth call?

yeah i gobble, can do a crow caw, and an owl with my mouth call. i can also do a really loud squeal that will make em gobble when nothing else will. i have gotten to the point that i dont even carry an actuall locater call with me anymore.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:25 am

Stump,
Did I catch that right, you keep em in the fridge? I've been wondering what the care or maintenance for the diaghrams is. Any recommendations?
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:25 pm

DiscoDuck wrote:Stump,
Did I catch that right, you keep em in the fridge? I've been wondering what the care or maintenance for the diaghrams is. Any recommendations?

All diaprhams are made of a latex or syntetic material. These products are very prone to dry rotting. To clean them use an alcohol free mouth wash. Alcohol will break down the latex. Use small toothpicks to keep the reeds seperated ( or can can leave a few stuck together to change the pitch ). ALWAYS keep your diaphrams out of direct sunlight in a dry cool place. A crisper in a fridge works great. Keeps them cool, sunlight free, and regulates the moisture!!!!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardman68 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:07 pm

stumpjumper wrote:
DiscoDuck wrote:Stump,

A crisper in a fridge works great. Keeps them cool, sunlight free, and regulates the moisture!!!!!

STUMP

Keep mine on the door with the eggs :yes:
Save a duck-shoot a predator!
mallardman68
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:25 am

Mine stays with the butter :yes:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:54 pm

keep em on the butter shelf myself. good tip with the alchol free mouthwash i'll definately try that one out this season.
trigger22
hunter

Postby uncle paul » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Preston Pittman Black Diamond is the only diaphram call they make, isn't it ??
uncle paul
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:16 pm

I use woodhaven calls. I picked up a Legacy triple bypass today & like it but I'll have to see how it sounds in the woods. The woodhaven calls are very good calls.
cutt-down
hunter

Postby echoXLT » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:35 pm

I second the Woodhaven's. I use to really like a Strut Cut made by HS, but can't find em any more.

The call that I have been using the last couple of years is made by a local guy in Farmington, MO called Tru-Tone. Pretty good calls in my opinion. Haven't found any lately that are any better than his!
echoXLT
hunter

Postby cONG » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:46 pm

man Woodhaven's call is like $10 bucks for one, i just buy the cheap ones mabe I will give it a try
cONG
hunter

Postby rivertrash » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Quaker Boy's old boss hen or the Kee Kee if you can find it. Great people there at Quaker Boy.
rivertrash
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:41 pm

Well I have to renig on the Presston Pittman calls. I picked up some Quacker Boy screamin greens and MAN do the sound and blow nice. Also got a Wood Butcher cutter that is real crisp

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Sonic Dome

Postby brucetonbottombandit » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:37 pm

Yeah man those sonic dome calls suck, but I do use alot of Primos calls. Really like the simple limbhanger and piggy back models.
brucetonbottombandit
hunter

Postby SouthARKduckslayers » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:31 am

I use two diaphrams that have given me some success. one is made in dierks Arkansas, called premium calls and the other is the Primos Piggy Back that I bought a year or so ago. both are awsome calls ...
Nov. 22nd the river runs red .....

Mallards- 27

Grey's-74

Woodies-5

Teal-15

shovler-7

jacks-3

wedgion-37

pintail-3

Merganser-1

172 after 9 hunts
SouthARKduckslayers