decoys

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

decoys

Postby cONG » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:32 pm

how many decoys do you put out in early season I was thinking one hen and one tom
cONG
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Depends on the area, pressure and what the birds are doing at the time. I`ll use anything from a single hen to 5 hens and two jakes

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dep6 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:23 am

Most I carry is usually 3 decoys so most times it is a 2 hens and a Jake.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby cut_un » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:17 am

I too use 3, two hens and a jake, I will set the jake directly behind one hen as if getting ready to mount her, then the other off to the side like she is walking up on the pair.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:00 am

it really depends on the birds in the area and past experience. if hunting a new area i typically carry a jake and hen, but i have places where there is a possibility of the bird to appear from so many different angles and i'll use up to 6. usually this is when i got a big clearing surrounded by dense cover. or if there is an area that i know the birds are roosting around i'll bust em up early and place out all my decoys and they call back in fairly easily and when the see the 6 dekes it makes em practically run in. i have also found not to rule out a boss tom decoy. i have added 3 birds to my bag simply because of the boss tom. all 3 were hunted hard for roughly a week and i just couldnt get em to commit. so out comes the boss tom solo without a hen decoy and i brought the old birds in without hesitation on their part.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:19 pm

how many decoys would you put out if theres 50 turkeys in the morning and i want to kill the big boss tom
cONG
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Your joking right

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:48 pm

Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:10 pm

cONG wrote:how many decoys would you put out if theres 50 turkeys in the morning and i want to kill the big boss tom

If your not joking....do you need a partner :wink:

If that happens, I doubt you`ll kill the boss tom. 50 birds in one area means they are flocked up. Why would a boss tom want to leave all of those hens for your decoys or calls. He has girls all around him already. But there are a few things to try. First you can try only hen deeks. Then hit him with a bunch of kee kees. Hopefully he likes young ladies. Next with only hen deeks listen for the boss hen. What ever sound she makes cut her off and call louder and more agressive than she does. Hopefully you will get into her head and she`ll want to some over and see who the new girl in town is. If she comes, the gobblers will come. Next try two strutting tom deeks and purr as loud and as agressivly as you can simulating a fight. The boss tom will come to see who`s fighting who to show his dominance. These are just a few demonstrations of thinking out of the box cause that`s what it will take to kill the boss tom if their flocked up

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DiscoDuck » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:14 pm

Extremely helpful guys! Cause one of my next questions was going to be about decoys. The TV shows are really hammering the ads about the Bmobile dekes, etc. which are all toms. I was wondering what, when, and why of dekes?
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:20 pm

DiscoDuck wrote:Extremely helpful guys! Cause one of my next questions was going to be about decoys. The TV shows are really hammering the ads about the Bmobile dekes, etc. which are all toms. I was wondering what, when, and why of dekes?

First it`s all about $$$$ for those guys. A totaly new decoy means guys are going to run out and buy one.
Second those decoys play on a gobblers sense of dominense. Toms WILL fight to be the alfa bird and thus get prime mating rights. So when a mature tom sees a fully strutting gobbler hovering over a submissive ready to breed hen his hormons kick in and he comes a running.
But be warned, some gobblers have already had their butts kicked by an alfa tom and want nothing to do with another mature bird.

If I was to buy one of these decoys I would make sure the tom was a jake. Older birds ain`t to scared of jakes and get pretty mad if a jake is trying to mate with one of his hens

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:34 pm

first off a flock of 50 turkeys is quite impressive if your not kidding. as far as decoys and such with what tactics to use it really all depends. if your seeing these birds in flocks of 50 this time of year it doesnt meen that they will still be like that later on when spring comes around. the best rule of thumb is to be where the turkeys wanna be. flocked turkeys are hard to get at for sure. first of all i dont care how good your calls are and how real your dekes look, they are by no means the real thing. your best chance at the boss is to be where he wants and that means to be where the entire flock is. if you know day in and day out where these birds are going to, then i wouldnt use a call or a decoy 1. simply because that is 50 birds that you gotta trick into thinking you are real. thats 100 eyes looking for where the sounds coming from and 100 eyes looking at that turkey and realizing that it is standing in the same place looking exactly the same as it does and has been for the past however long them birds have been watching you. automatically the boss tom is not gonna approach you first, and that is just by nature.

now if you dont really know where the birds are going or they dont really have a general pattern as to where they wanna be, then you can try to find where they roost at. if you find this area yo can go in an hour or so before the birds should be flying down out of the roost and bust them up. you can then set up in that general location and can usually call the birds back into you. in this situation i would use 2 hens and a jake decoy. if that boss tom comes back any where near you he will not be able to stand the thought of that jake with his hens. i however caution you to this tecnique simply becuase it will make these birds extremely smart. use this approach only in last resort. if you still cant get him and think you need a partner let me know :wink:
trigger22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:04 pm

A couple of things some to mind in talking about the use of turkey decoys. First, when a turkey is slipping in to what he thinks is a hen turkey, he is looking real hard for that turkey. If he doen NOT see that hen, he is suspect that something is not right. When he sees that hen, it tends to put him at ease. Second, the hen decoy gives him something to focus on. He will be watching then decoy and if you should need to make that little move to get your gun on him, it's a bit easier with his eyes on the decoy. The use of a jake as a second decoy with play on his head, as stated, it all about the picking order, I've had the turkey walk right past the hen and stand toe to toe with the jake decoy. Have to say, my goal is to kill him standing directly in front of the jake decoy, but that is my goal, most times it "just doesn't make it that far" :oops:
Last edited by cut_un on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:37 pm

another thing to take into consideration is the movement of your decoy. if a bird is approaching from a long way off such as a field or from a pretty clear strip of woods your decoys need to have some movement. on days where there is some wind this is no big deal, the wind will add the movement for you, but whenever it is dead calm without even a slight breeze you might condider rigging up a jerk string. i do this with fishing line. i run some clear fishin line from the tail of my dekes all the way back to where i am sitting in my blind. i missed the chance on the bird of a lifetime 4 years ago due to not having movement in my decoys and ever since i have carried a spool a clear fishing line.
trigger22
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:42 pm

cut_un wrote:. Have to say, my goal is to kill him standing directly in front of the jake decoy, but that is my goal, most times it "just doen't make it that far" :oops:

Ain`t that the truth

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:02 pm

You guys ever nodded off and as you wake up with cobwebs in yer head, spot your deks and think a turkey has slipped in on ya :oops: At a glance, those things CAN look mighty real with a slight breeze :yes:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:15 pm

cut_un wrote:You guys ever nodded off and as you wake up with cobwebs in yer head, spot your deks and think a turkey has slipped in on ya :oops: At a glance, those things CAN look mighty real with a slight breeze :yes:

On more than one occasion :no: :no: :no:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:19 pm

not only have i done that i've woken up from a cat nap and had the real thing standing in front of me. and on another occasion i had a young tom approaching me and then dissapeared. then i caught a glimpse of my decoy and raised my shotgun and blew the whole deal. :oops:
trigger22
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:58 pm

I been seeing about 50+ turkeys out in a wheat field that i can hunt and about 4mils down the road theres 20+ turkeys and the creek I hope they will be there during hunting season.
cONG
hunter

Postby Tallhunter » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:35 am

Chances are that those 50 turkeys will bust up here in the next month or so. I personally have never seen or even heard of a flock of 50 strolling togehter come spring hunting season. So you need to keep your eye on the flock and the boss tom, and when they split up, try to know where most of the birds went, patterning them now really wont help you much, in a month that tom could be a mile away, or he'll stay there but there will be far less hens. so just keep watching and wait for the split up then start really pinpointing his moves and his hens moves and come opening day, try and get where they wanna be and wait him out with whatever decoys you wanna use and soft calling. If you don't pattern that big boss tom, there damn near impossible to pull away from their group of hens. This is just how i would approach it, hope it helps!
Tallhunter
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:55 pm

As a new wrinkle to decoy placement, I was reading an article today with the " expert" explaining that he likes to place a low staked hen "with her breast close to the ground" as if she is ready to breed with a jake behind her. I myself like to set a jake a few feet behind a hen decoy too but, as he suggested, with the hen in the breeding position, it will give any incoming gobbler the impression that the Jake is "in for the thrill" and he better take care of business. He says that late in the season it can and does make a difference. :hammer: :hammer:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:26 pm

WOW :eek: you got a flock of 50 turkeys your going to need a partner or 2. Thats a ton of birds in one place. Good luck killing the big boss tom. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum