Best beginner turkey call

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Best beginner turkey call

Postby orangefoot » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:30 pm

My buddy is wanting to get into turkey hunting and was wondering what call to start with. I told him to get a primos freak with crystals i love mine its my favorite call i have and fairly easy to use. He dont want to spend a butt load of money on one either around $20 or $25. :thumbsup:

What would yall suggest?
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:07 am

Yours sounds like some good starter stuff. A box call for sure and a slate call of some sort and learn to use a mouth call. Just a suggestion though.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby cut_un » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:19 am

I guess a call that you could pick up and go hunting with would be a "push- pin type" of a call, simple to use and it really sounds pretty good!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:18 am

I agree with Dep and Cut. Either a box call or a push button call. Both are great and will kill birds. Heck, tell him to get both

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:55 am

i'd reccomend a slate, box, and push pin style call as well. too many times i've had birds that would respond to one and not the other. you really dont have to go expensive but at the same time you truly do get what you pay for. i'd also suggest that he get a pack of diaphrams just to learn with. if i had to pick 1 type of call to bring in the woods it'd be a diaphram without hesitation. good luck to you and your friend.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:24 pm

This season is my first season too.
I actually got a mouth call for coyote hunting (makes a great whine) on advice from a friend. Anyhow, I got the starter set from Primos - 3 calls of different sizes, and an audio cd. My wife hates the cd, but I love it. I can do most of the calls now accept the Kakkakakakkaka call (THis might be called the kaklke, but I forget). I am sure that it will take some practice in the field, but knowing I have the basics, and not choking on the call is good start.

I have also found that alot of older hunters will talk to you more about places they hunt if they know you are taking the time to learn a difficult calling method, rather than just a box call, or that gobble horn thing.

I think I should also say that the mouth call is also much more versatile than the other calls due to the fact you can change the shape of the resonating chamber (your mouth) much easier than you can with a box call or slate. With a mouth call I can act like 1 or 10 different birds, but with my box call, I can consistently be one distinct bird.
20bolt
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:54 pm

20, first :welcome: to the sport :thumbsup: Turkey hunting is a very interesting sport as compared to others, as most of the turkey hunters take a genuine interest in newcomers "new found passion". I feel most hunters look at that person as a brother in the sport and are willing to help any way they can. Some hunting sports, others are viewed as "the enemy". I hope you will continue to enjoy the sport as it's a lifelong adventure, the more you learn, the more you will realize to need to know. Feel free to ask plenty questions, we have a bunch of veterans of the "turkey wars" on here and I'm sure they will enjoy helping out :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Calling

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:50 pm

I wouldn't worry about the Ke Ke run call, we use that mostly in the fall. Get good at the loud yelp for locating, cutting and yelping to bring them in, purring and putting for bringing them in close for the kill. :gatgun:

Like what's already been suggested, start with the box, slates, etc, but I would get a mouth call and start working with it. Listen to the birds while your hunting them this season and try and sound like that. I like the mouth call the best for a couple reasons. When you're good with it no other calls can come close. Second, it takes movement to use slates, box or push calls. Once that big slob's with in eye sight so are you. A mouth call at that point is just what the DR ordered. :thumbsup:

Get some good deeks. I like the love nest. a tom, Jake and a hen or two, make it a turkey party. :party:

Good luck.
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby slicendice » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:55 pm

Get a Ben Lee Superhen. It's fool proof. You can't not make good turkey sounds with that call because of the way it's constructed. It's a slate call, but the slate is about 4" inches long and about 1/2" wide.
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:15 pm

With the mouth call I make pretty good calls. I actually have a box call for louder calls, but I will probably use the mouth call more, as I can use it and keep my hands on the gun.

Stumpjumper- I saw your paint job in the other thread. I saw an old bolt action 20g mossberg with a polychoke at the at my lodge for $80. I might give it a try as a project gun.
20bolt
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:07 pm

A good beginner call for about $20 is "the egg" by H.S. Strut I think. It's a push button call and can be adjusted to go higher and lower. Also walmart has good slate calls for cheap some of them come with multiple strikers.
duckschooler
hunter

Postby TheHunt » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:15 pm

slicendice wrote:Get a Ben Lee Superhen. It's fool proof. You can't not make good turkey sounds with that call because of the way it's constructed. It's a slate call, but the slate is about 4" inches long and about 1/2" wide.

Do you have the super hen aluminum or super hen slate call?
TheHunt
hunter

Re: Best beginner turkey call

Postby bangflop » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:42 pm

I agree with the posted replys recommending a good push button or slate call. The best yelp from a push button I have ever heard came from an Ozark Ridge push button call. Thier slate calls are really awesome too; probably one of the best on the market. Here is a link to thier push button call description and sound byte: http://ozarkridgecalls.com/shop/frictio ... on-call-2/
bangflop
Newb

Postby Bernie P. » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 am

IMO The best to start with would be a slate simply because it's the easiest to learn to make all but a gobble on.The push calls can make OK yelps and clucks but the majority of them don't sound that good.I would strongly recommend getting a good twin reed diaphragm as well.The hands free part is great plus you can put more inflection into calling with them than any of the others.Good luck!
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 am

I could make decent sounds on a mouth call after a half hour of practicing.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum