Me newest toy

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Me newest toy

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:31 am

Well, I recieved a new toy that I have been waiting on for awhile. It is a custom Osage pot with a bronzed glass calling surface. I waited until Bruce found me just the right piece of wood. He then thinned down the over all hight so`s to get a higher frequency. Guys this puppy here will make your ears bleed, but breaks over so gental. And it will give me soft purrs to boot. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://media.putfile.com/CuttnRun-Osage ... ized-glass

Any one else have custom calls they use?

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:51 am

man that sure is purrty right there.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:31 pm

Nice lookin call brother. Only custom call I use ,and I make them myself is "The Wingbone". Nothing fancy :smile: the turks seem to like them :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Here is the one that I got for this season. My buddy makes tham, and he guides down here in FL. Good guy and good friend.

Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:26 pm

Nice looking call 970. Nice looking piece of bloodwood right there. Is a slate calling surface. If so I`ll beat she has great close in sounds

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby badandy970 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:21 am

Yeah it is a great call, I am really impressed with it. I like slate calls and it was made just the way I wanted it.
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:10 am

Here`s my normal glass call. It is a cocobo pot with a bronzed glass calling surface. I typicaly run this call with a tulipwood striker.

BD970 I to have a bloodwood slate and like you I love mine dearly. It is nice to be able to get a call that was made for you in mine not something off the shelf. Turkey calls are becoming alot more versitile now a days. There are so many to choose from its ridiculus. Keep your friend happy, it`s a blessing to have a friend as a call maker. You can get stuff no one else can :tongue: :tongue:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:12 am

cut_un wrote:Nice lookin call brother. Only custom call I use ,and I make them myself is "The Wingbone". Nothing fancy :smile: the turks seem to like them :thumbsup:

Got a pic of one Cut? Love to see those

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Hey cut, where`s the pic brother.

I made a wingbone from a gobbler I took a few years back. The tom was 3 1/2 years old though. I`ll snap a pic over the weekend.

From what I hear the best wingbones are made from hens. I can make a decent yelp on mine but that`s about it. Guess I just don`t know how to suck properly :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:24 pm

You think tha guy that makes those calls can put a picture in it that i send him. Just like that turkey in there but my personal picture. That would be awsome. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:25 pm

:lol: thats not necessarily a bad problem to have there stump. i've heard them home made wing bones are pretty good calls. i've just never seen one before. would like to see some pics
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:44 pm

orangefoot wrote:You think tha guy that makes those calls can put a picture in it that i send him. Just like that turkey in there but my personal picture. That would be awsome. :thumbsup:

Yep

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tripleCBoykins » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:08 pm

Let's see I'm carrying a David Halloran maple double glass, a Paul's calls Mahogony/walnut box, two Woodhaven's a cherry slate and a walnut alluminum, two long boxes one is a Dad's the other a Jerry Reynold's both are ceder and butternut. I've retired the Cody glass afraid of loosing her, killed a bunch of bird's with her.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:13 pm

trigger22 wrote::lol: thats not necessarily a bad problem to have there stump. i've heard them home made wing bones are pretty good calls. i've just never seen one before. would like to see some pics

Here you go T22.
I made this one out of a gobbler I took a few years back. Most people like to us jake wing bones BUT, I don`t shoot jakes. The call sounds good and I have killed two birds with it, so it is now retired

And here is a box call I made totaly myself. Funny thing is it`s made out of a pine 2x4. Hand filed the lid cuvrature, used a band saw to cut the profile and a belt sander to fine tune it, machined the tone channels on a mill in the factory. This call has been retired as I took a bird on it`s maiden voyage.

Made a peg box call, and a aluminum calling surface in a turtle shell as well. I USE to make the peg box calls and sell them or give them away as gifts to friends.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Nice lookin calls stump :thumbsup: Now that bone...... you moving in my circle now, hope you don't show up in my neck of the turkey woods :eek:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby T.Salt » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:10 am

stumpjumper wrote:Here`s my normal glass call. It is a cocobo pot with a bronzed glass calling surface. I typicaly run this call with a tulipwood striker.

BD970 I to have a bloodwood slate and like you I love mine dearly. It is nice to be able to get a call that was made for you in mine not something off the shelf. Turkey calls are becoming alot more versitile now a days. There are so many to choose from its ridiculus. Keep your friend happy, it`s a blessing to have a friend as a call maker. You can get stuff no one else can :tongue: :tongue:

STUMP

I also have this same call. Never had one that has the range this one has. Awesome top, bottom softer than a babies bottom. Transition is smooth and accurate. This is the 1st pot call I haven't had to add a sweet spot locater tab on the rim!! 360 degrees of pure sweetness here! :yes:

In case ya wondering what I'm talking about on the sweet spot locater tab, I take an adhesive backed sanding disc and cut a small circle, or strip from it and apply it to the rim where the sweet spot is. It helps keep head movement to a minimum and the spot can be found easily without looking.

Next Cutt-N-Run pot call will be a slate over glass Osage!
T.Salt
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Hey Tom, I think the call looks better displayed like this!!!

And by the way, your Osage slate is already finished. And she sounds puuuurrrty.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:49 pm

jeez stump, how do you make yourself look so young? :biggrin:
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:55 pm

idahofowler wrote:jeez stump, how do you make yourself look so young? :biggrin:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That`s my nefhew Idaho. I called that bird in for him Sat on a youth hunt. I`m much prettier than him though :wink:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:58 pm

hahaha, tell him he might need to clean his face if he wants to get the ladies, hunting gobblers is different than hunting two legged deer :yes:
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:02 pm

I painted his face so that he could get away from the ladies. They be on him like wildfire. He gets that from me as well :biggrin: :biggrin:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duk man » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:10 pm

i just got my jl taylor custom slate over glass in a brazilian tulipwood pot with a hickory striker. this call is awesome. i just looked at it and realized it had my name engraved on the bottom and was signed by james. he makes box calls, and has started selling diaphram calls. check out his website, its on my sig.
Team Fowl to the Bone "in it for the limit"
duk man
account suspended for advertising/promo

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum