Duck Hunting Forum banner

dont really know what to do.

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  trigger22 
#1 ·
im pretty new to turkey hunting. i have a slate call its a MAD call with hickory and carbon striker. i kinda know how to use it like purr and yelp but really nothing else. im wondering how you call turkeys and what would be a good approach for me. im looking at a push button call but like i said im new and dont know how to do turkeys. so what kinda tips could you give a begginer.

thank you guys for any input.!!!!

#2 ·
Brother, with all the Videos on the market today you are in like flint. Just watch as many as you can, H S Strut puts out some good ones,Primos( the truth series) too. They will take you on "the hunt" , you will see different situations that they deal with, you will hear all the different calls , how and when to use them. Also, some of the calls on todays market will come with an instructional tape too. The slate will kill a lot of birds, but you need to master a plain yelp as it will be your bread and butter, the purrs will close the deal. A box call is a must and they are great for yelping and cutting on. Good Luck, hope this helped :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Great post Cut.

WH, the first thing I would recommend to you is to go to Wally world and buy the how to book on turkey hunting. The are located in the hunting department. Read that baby from front to back. It contains a buttload of useful knowledge from habitat to patterning your gun. Next find land that has birds on it and scout, scout, scout. For example, I hunt public land. 3 weeks before the season I go out every weekend before sunrise and listen for the birds at dawn. I mark these areas with a gps. I try to find out where they are and what they are doing ( are they flocked up, hens nesting etc ) DO NOT take a turkey call with you. The urge to hit it will be to great and all your doing is educating them that the season is about to open. Stealth is what you want at this time. After 1 hour after sun rise I SLOWLY walk through the woods listening and looking for fresh signs ( dropping, scratches etc ). Come opening day I know where I`ll be hunting and what to expect...hopefully.

STUMP

#4 ·
both really good point cutn and stump,

you can do a google search and find several instruction tapes on how to use a turkey call. being a new turkey hunter the easiest call for you to use will be the push pull style call and a box call. both are really easy to use and can be learned with the instructions on the back. a slate call is also pretty simple and sounds better than the box or push pull calls. most importanly just as with any call you gotta practice practice practice. my favorite call is a diaphram (mouth call) i have been using this style of call since i was 13 years old and even still anytime i am riding in my truck i am practicing. i practice with my calls from the moment duck season ends up untill turkey season goes out. that is the only way to get good. good luck to ya and welcome to the world of turkeys. they are gonna get ya ticked off and worked up about as much as a nagging wife will, but stick in there and you'll get your bird eventually. and when that time comes it will be one of the prouder moments in your life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.