turkey choke and load

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

turkey choke and load

Postby wright_hunter » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:07 am

i have a winchester super x2. with a patternmaster. (i know ill get hell for that patternmaster) but i was wondering if i should use it to hunt turkeys or if i should use my mossberg 535. my mossberg 535 has a truglo turkey choke and what load to use.

thankyou guys for any help and input.
dont scratch a tiger with a short stick.
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter
Banned - screwed member in classifieds

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:40 am

I guess I'm old school but I've been hunting turkeys every since spring seasons were introduced here in Va. :oops: I think all the talk about patterns, loads are overrated. Yes, you ARE looking for a gun with will shoot a dince pattern, and I'll give you that one load will work better in a certain gun that another, but...... I was killing turkeys grave yard dead with a 2 3/4 " full choke gun loaded with # 6 shot long before all of these "special loads, guns, chokes hit the market. If you are to kill a turkey at 20 yards( I hope you are trying to get that turkey as close as you can :thumbsup: ) with the guns of today will the "super tubes", you had better have it dead on his head or you will miss him.
I do shoot an extra full tube and use Win turkey loads in # 5 but it is not all that tuff to kill a turkey if you can get him in close, and for me, that what the game is all about.
I'm sure either gun will do the job :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:54 pm

Cut I somewhat agree with you. I think patterning you gun is more important than the actual load and choke. I have patterned many of my friends guns and at 20 yards I`ve seen patterns so far off that they wouldn`t have a chance at killing a bird. So for me a GREAT set of fully adjustable sights is number one. If you can`t hit the bird in his head and neck it doesn`t matter what choke or shot your using.

And by the way I recommend Williams Fire sights.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:16 pm

I too amazes me just how different shotguns can and will throw a load. I agree that any shotgun headed inot the turkey woods should have been patterned for shot density. And that adjustible sight will put it on his head :hammer:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:43 pm

i agree cut. i shoot most of my turkeys w/ my bow but the times when i did use a shotgun the standard rem turky choke and some 2 3/4 #5 1 1/2oz loads worked flawlessly out around 30yds. i figured good enough! they were kent shells by the way
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum