Slamming???

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Slamming???

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:29 am

Anyone trying to "do the slam". It's my dream to "get some of dat" Will be hunting Florida next year for the first time but so far I've been hanging tight to the easterns. How about you guys :huh:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:52 pm

i would kill for the opportunity to do a slam. but it would have to be solely un guided. i have killed all easterns except 1 beaut of a RIO that i killed last year in west texas.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:48 pm

A slam is only a dream for me. I wish I could have the time to do it, but in reality it ain`t going to happen. Now I might some day go out west and hunt a merriams. That for me would be enough.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:59 pm

i doubt i'd ever have the chance to do a slam either. at least not in the near future. maybe later on down the road sometime, but in the next 5 years i know its not gonna happen. but i do think i could possibly try for one of each of the species every year for the next few years and then maybe save some money and take 30 days leave and try for the slam. but i'm dreamin right now.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby matchbook454 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:30 pm

I've got easterns and will hopefully get my Merriam in NE this year. Hopefully a Rio next year and then the Osceola in FL the year after that.
matchbook454
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Two years will find me with all the time in the world to chase turkeys. I plan on hitting "de slam trail" I remeber reading a while back :huh: of a guy that had killed a turkey in every state, now THAT would be cool :wink:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby dgraves » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 pm

I am trying mine this year. We have easterns and rio's in Oklahoma. Hopefully if everything goes right I will be leaving in in 3 weeks to Florida to hunt. Then I am leaving April 28 for South Dakota for my Merriam and on the way home I am going to hunt in Missouri. I have a outfitter in Florida and Missouri that is friends of mine and they told me all I have to do it show up and buy my tags and that is it. South Dakota is $450 plus tags and they are $110 for one turkey and $100 for the second. We are hunting on a Indian Reservation.
dgraves
State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:41 am

DG, keep us posted as to how it's going :wink: Good Luck brother :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:02 pm

good luck dg and like cut said keep us posted with stories and pics.
trigger22
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Best of luck dg. Right know we are living thru you bo. Hope you get it done!!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:03 am

Finnished my 2n shotgun grand slam in 05. I am 1/2 way through my archery grand and am planning to get some goulds in 2010. So far I have been unguided on all my hunts.
phutch30
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 pm

:bow: Great to hear, have you managed to get any of your hunts of film? I can only imagine how good it's got to feel. Maybe, one day I too will have to experience "that feeling" :yes:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:36 pm

cut_un wrote::bow: Great to hear, have you managed to get any of your hunts of film? I can only imagine how good it's got to feel. Maybe, one day I too will have to experience "that feeling" :yes:

I feel the same way cut. Phutch30, you sir have my admiration. Well done. And all unguided to boot. SWEET brother :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:46 am

It was just luck of the draw so to speak. I grew up in NH and was in the marines in NC. I got to hunt easterns in NH, VT, PA, NY, WV, VA, NC, SC an MS. Then I went to college in MT and we have merriams here. After college I worked in central OR where there were rios. Then moved back to MT. Im friends with a guy in FL and thats how I got my osceolas. It just worked out good. I am heading down to FL next spring to stick a osceola with my bow. I wish I could do a goulds and oscallated without a guide but thats not possible so I'll have to pay someone to follow me around.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum