Turkey Terrain?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Favorite Terrain To turkey hunt?

Flat Swamp land
7%
Pines
13%
Burnt timber
7%
Mixed pines and Hardwoods
67%
Hill country
7%

Total votes : 15

Turkey Terrain?

Postby orangefoot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:01 pm

Whats everyones favorite terrain to hunt turkeys? Mine would have to be swamps with sloughs and creeks. With big hardwood timber with a few ridges.
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:09 pm

I guess this , for me is a trick question. :huh: You ask what my favorite is, I used to hunt in a low, swampy county, it had a ton of turkeys and even though it was hard hunting, I had a lot of success. On the other had, another area I used to hunt was a mix of hardwoods and pines, could see the turkeys coming for a long ways, it was cool. I guess my correct answer is" My faviorite is hunting in the turkey woods" :huh:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:02 pm

I`ve hunted turkeys in all of the above, but the swamps are my favorite. Yes it is hard but the beauty the swamps offer is next to none. I could set there all day and be happy. Next I would say hill country. That will test a man walking up and down the steep terrain. And if your in the right spot you can hear a gobbler a long ways off.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bluewing77 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:15 pm

ponderosa pine, gambel's oak, and aspen. above 7500 ft. elev. in mora & san miguel county, northern New Mexico. Merriam's country!
bluewing77
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:12 pm

this is pretty tough. i have always hunted hardwood/pine but the one time i got to go out to Texas and hunt the mesquite flats it was pretty amazing. i looked around everywhere and thought to myself there aint no turkeys livin around here. as time passed by my assumption was proved to be wrong. i think i have to agree with cut on this one, i'll pick F all of the above, plus anywhere else a turkey may roam.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum