Weird Locator calls

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Weird Locator calls

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:30 pm

You guys use any "odd ball" locator calls???? Some 20+ years ago, I hit on the goose call, the spot I hunted had a few geese across the river in a local pond, The geese would crank them up at daybreak so I started carrying one, only because we had geese in the area, since then with more geese being around, it's on the list of locator calls , back then, who would have thought :huh: You guys using anything not that popular that I just may be carrying one day :huh:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:58 pm

cant say that i carry anything unusual although i do use my diaphram for a locator call. i can do an owl, crow, loud annoying screams and can somewhat simulate a goose. i've also discovered that the jake brake on a semi truck will make em gobble everytime.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:52 pm

Silent dog whistle :thumbsup:

Turkeys can hear at above the 15,000 decible range. I have tested the whistle against other locator calls and found that I get more responses out of the whistle.

Example: Late last year I went to a friends land to help him out. We hiked to the highest point on the land and waited for dark to see if any birds gobbled. Nothing. So I first tried a owl hooter, then a coyote howler, hoot tube, and even a fly up cackle. Still nothing. My friend was so disapointed. I told him lets try one more thing and I pulled out the whistle. I no sooner hit it when TWO longbeards goobled about 250 yards out. Trust me it works guys. Just don`t bring it to my neck of the woods. I have enough compatition already

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:44 pm

Hey thats my top secret call Stump, not any more though I guess. I also use a Screamin Peacock. It reminds me of being at the zoo but it works some times when nothing else will. When Im in the woods for work and cant find the turkeys we just yell "hoooot!" It works but I wouldnt do it if I was hunting.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Peacock works alright, yote call is probably the best in my neck of the woods.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby DUCKWHACKER » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:28 am

Had a bird gobble on the roost openin' mornin' to distant gun shots and an ambulence siren. :yes:
Regional Director United Waterfowlers of Florida

Member of the Bay Area Quack Ho's
DUCKWHACKER
hunter

Postby Bayou state shutterbug » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:57 am

I have never had any luck with the dog whistle, screaming peacock, or hawk whistle. I have ok luck with the HS Strut Crow call and a Haydel's coyote call. I've had very good luck with the Palmer's Hoot Tube by HS Strut. I've also done well using the Primos Power Crystal and doing a lot of cutting and cackling.

I used to use a Primos Power Owl with some success but switched because it's too inconsistent and found that the Hoot Tube was more reliable and easier to use.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bayou state shutterbug
hunter

Postby uncle paul » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:30 pm

back when we were kids, we would ride through the bottoms and drop a big chain in the bed of the truck just to hear them gobble. Try a woodduck call......you would be suprised at the way they sound off at it.
uncle paul
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:55 pm

Decided to buy a second crow call, just to keep in the truck, got a Primos Power Crow, all I can say is it's a pretty call but to my ears it sound like sh*&. Only way it even resembles a crow is to blow your lungs out :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: Weird Locator calls

Postby brucetonbottombandit » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:53 am

cut_un wrote:You guys use any "odd ball" locator calls???? Some 20+ years ago, I hit on the goose call, the spot I hunted had a few geese across the river in a local pond, The geese would crank them up at daybreak so I started carrying one, only because we had geese in the area, since then with more geese being around, it's on the list of locator calls , back then, who would have thought :huh: You guys using anything not that popular that I just may be carrying one day :huh:

Till last year would have laughed at you but went huntin with buddy on his farm where he has pet geese. Had one that would fly over ridge cluckin and the gobblers went crazy. anytime that goose got within 50 yds of em they'd double or triple gobble. It was pretty amazin hunt ended up with doulbe. we couldn't of done it without that old honker though.
brucetonbottombandit
hunter

Postby Crash » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:28 pm

I have found the truck horn works pretty well, moring or afternoon.
If you're gonna hunt ducks in AMERICA, please use an AMERICAN shot gun.

Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.
Calvin Coolidge
Crash
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:16 pm

i have used a Primos goose flute cause theres a 200 acre marsh next to my farm with geese on it that seems to get the turkeys going at dawn.
WIgunner30
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum