Your Turkey Vest

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Your Turkey Vest

Postby orangefoot » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:12 pm

Lets hear what kinda turkey vest yall have and why you like it or dont like it.

I have a fieldline vest and it has all the storage i need. It has a slate call pocket and mouth call slots, neoprene box call slot, game bag, fold out orange flag on the back, really comfortable fold down cushion and back cushion, and neoprene sholders. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:43 pm

I use a Epeards tree lounge ( Little Bighorn product ). It has an internal frame built into the back so I do not have to sit at the base of a tree. This allows me to sit up in the best spot even if there are no trees ( edge of fields, marsh grass in swamps ). Plus it is so comfortable and quiet. Has plenty of space for all my calls and gear. I will not hunt with another vest....ever

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duk man » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:30 pm

orangefoot, i have the same vest and love it.
Team Fowl to the Bone "in it for the limit"
duk man
account suspended for advertising/promo

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Duk man, do you know a buddy of mine, he's one of your neighbors, goes by wilfowl???? Lives right on Maddox?
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Is a vest optional?

I am a pack light kind of guy. I usually use a running fanny pack or a thin backpack, with what I might need immediately stashed in zip pockets. Doesn't the vest get in the way as you are moving around in the woods? Once you are stationary, do you really need the vest anymore, if your stuff is in a fanny pack?
20bolt
hunter

Vest

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:38 pm

You know, I've had my vest so long I couldn't tell you who made it. Basically it's the same as you all with all the pockets, fold out seat, game pouch, etc in the leafy camo material. I love it.

20Bolt, I guess the longer you hunt turkeys the more stuff you think you need to take with you. When I first started turkey hunting 30 years ago, (Ok, I just dated myself), all we had was a box call. None of these other calls were even invented yet. Now I go out with a two box calls (one water proof for when it rains and my old faithfull), mouth call, slate call, chalk, two way radios, fighting purr calls, owl call, crow call, four decoys, and so on. The vest comes in real handy carrying all that stuff.

Good luck.
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:09 pm

I dont know what I would do without mine. It makes things so much easier and it's more comfortable than a backpack to me. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby echoXLT » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:54 pm

Has anyone tried the new "ol' tom" vests yet? I have been looking at these for the last couple of months and wondering how they worked out? They look really good to me, but are pretty expensive I think. I have been using the Mossy Oak brand vest for the last few years and really like it, but to me the seat is kind of uncomfortable.
echoXLT
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:23 pm

EchoXLT,

Are you using the Mossy Oak Super Elite III? I have been looking at that vest it's similar to what i got.
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:47 pm

Primos vest, used Mossy Oak vest in the past and love both of them.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby echoXLT » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:28 pm

Orangefoot,

Not really sure which one it is, all I know is that I bought it 2 years ago. It's a nice vest, has way more pockets and zippers than you could ever need, just wanting a new one. I think I'm gonna go with an Ol' Tom, they look pretty sweet.
echoXLT
hunter

Postby BullCajun » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:37 pm

The Super Elite III out of Cabela's is the the one I have used for several seasons now and it has the best foam seat out there. Good backrest pad also. Over twenty something pockets for everything under the sun. Removable waterproof game bag, with hunter orange flags for the walk out. About forty bucks. Mine is in Mossyoak Obsession
BullCajun
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:45 am

Mossy Oak super elite which I like but just got a NatGear vest & I think I'm gonna like the seat cushion & back cushion better.
cutt-down
hunter

Postby Bayou state shutterbug » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:00 am

I bought a Mossy Oak and NWTF vest that they made about 8 years ago that has a ton of space with over 20 pockets. I carry lots of stuff with me in the woods. Just as much gear with me than calls.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bayou state shutterbug
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:06 am

Same here Shutterbug I carry more gear than calls. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby brucetonbottombandit » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:48 am

I use HS Strut SUV.plenty of pockets. I guess i'm kinda a gear junkey as i weighed mine recently and it was right at 40 lbs. I carry 3 slates 1 glass 1 slate 1 crystal as they all have different sound. Like to carry 2 boxes Kentucky LongBox by Knight and Hale and HS that is waterproof. Usually carry 5 or 6 diaphragms with 2 favorites being primos limbhanger and deadly double.also 2 flashlights, small seat, garbage bag, t.p. knife wide assortment of chalk, sandpaper and scrub pads 2 pair gloves 2 headnets hen and jake decoy. yeah lot of stuff, but i'd be lost without any of it
brucetonbottombandit
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:04 am

Welcome to the site brucetonbottombandit. :welcome:

Yea i know what you mean. I hate getting in the woods and need something that you dont have.

You decided not to bring that one thing and your like damn i knew i shoulda brought that. :rofl:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:57 pm

I had a Primos vest and I liked it but the seat would come unlatched just from walking. I bought a hunter spec. SUV and haven't looked back. I love the thing, plus I've killed four turkeys with it, so its lucky :smile:
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Does anyone know any place that you can get a custom turkey vest? like one that i can get the pockets where i want them and design it like i want. :huh:

That would be a good business for someone to get in to buliding custom vest. :yes:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum