Your style of hunting

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Your style of hunting

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:54 am

I know some /most of you will tell me that you let the turkeys dicate your style of hunting on any given day, "Old School"= sit and wait em out OR new school= run& gun.. I must say that as I've gotten older I can appreciate setting up on a fields edge, with a couple deks doing their thing, but I have to admit, I'm more of a cover ground kind of a guy, sooooo many turkeys and so little time :oops: What's your style or have you stumbled on to something else that works :huh:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:11 pm

my dad want's to set up and get em off the roost. i want to cover ground and call them in with a mouth call from behind a tree.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:57 pm

I too love to work a roosted bird, something about hearing him gobble and moving in on him. If all goes well, it's just a matter of time :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:03 pm

as you mentioned in your first post that most will say the birds dictate my way of gettin after em. it also depends on if i am hunting a new area or not. if in a new area i will "run and gun" so to say. it allows me to cover more ground and scout while i am at it. if i am on familiar ground then i will usually set up early and try and call the birds to me. if that proves ineffective then back to the run and gun method.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby TommyW » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Run and gun has always worked for me and my friends. trigger22 said it the way we hunt them in NJ
WHAT SAID IN THE BLIND STAYS IN THE BLIND
TommyW
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Had an invite to hunt with a fellow in the southern part of our state, his club had access to 10,000 acreas broken up into different farms& timber lands. We were running and gunning out of his truck. Hitting spot after spot, from sunup til 12:00, man,we saw some pretty turkey woods, it was a "very effective" style of turkey hunting

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby usmchunter » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:09 pm

Situation pretty much dictates...

If I am home in PA, I have a fairly good idea where they will be, so I will tend to sit more than other places.
If I have them roosted then I get above them if possible and sit it out with some light calling.
If in a new area I will try to get to a high area in the morning to find one on the roost then high-tail to his area.
If nothing is happening or they appear to lose interest then I do a lot of moving and calling.
I am an rather imatient person so I tend to lean toward more of a "walk" and gun.
usmchunter
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:03 pm

My style is based on one word...PATIENCE

I`ll sit in a spot all day if I believe the birds are in the general area. This has worked well for me in throught the seasons.

If I do move around looking for birds, I move SLOWLY and pay close attention to signs of birds. If I locate fresh gobbler scratches I will follow them until I feel I am close enough, sit and go to work.
I found fresh gobbler scratches two years ago on a hunt. Moved up 100 yards and heard him in a small vally scratching. Set down, purred twice and started scratching. 20 minutes later and my thunder stick went BOOM.

I don`t turkey hunt fast UNLESS I hear birds gobbling off in the distance. Then I move to get to them. But once in range I again SLOW down.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:02 pm

I sit for 30 minutes or so and call, no response-I'm moving. If your in sparsley populated turkey country you could sit all day scratchin' your slate to big, beautiful, empty woods and never hear a bird. Just as everyone says "situation dictates" and if your not sure, sit still.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Yup

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Yup, what everybody said! :thumbsup:

I hunt in the finger lakes region of NY and we do all of the above.

First I'll try and roost one the evening before I hunt. That's works about half the time. In the am I'll get to where I think they may be roosted and where I can hear for a long ways. When I hear them gobble I beat feet within a 100-75 yards and hope I don't jump hens off their roost on my way in. :eek: Most times they're roosted with hens where I'm at that time of year. I'll do some wing flaps, scratch the leaves and some very light calls. Once the Coyote comes through and messes that all up :mad: (as they've been known to do), or my buddy shoots at one and roles it, :headbang: (which has also been known to happen), or I just plain don't hear anything I'll start the bump and run calling every 50-100 yards or so depending on terrain. We usually use a couple of trucks and preposition one five or so miles down hill from where we plan on starting our treck through the mountains. The only problem with that is if you get one when you first start you got a loooong way to carry that sucker. They grow heavier the further you carry them. :crying: A Jake will end up weighing about a hundred pounds buy the time your at the truck, LOL.

After a few days into the season and the birds have seen more hunters then hens I'll then do the patience hunting, both on field edges and in the woods. The only problem with setting up in the woods is they're more then likely to come in silent and show up while your wiping your nose or repositioning yourself because your butt fell asleep from sitting so long. I most always hunt with my buddy so if we're going to sit I'll position him about 50 yards up hill facing up hill to hopefully avoid being busted. Where we hunt the big Toms usually like to circle and come in high to the call so they can see better.

We actually do better with the bigger slobs mid to late morning once they're done servicing their hens and are looking for more.

We can't hunt them past noon.

Hey, just my two cents. Good luck everybody. I hope you all have a great season.
:thumbsup:

mac
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum