do you move towards them?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

do you move towards them?

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:13 pm

if you are on a ridgeline and the turkey are below you in a bottom, do you sit down and start trying to work them to you or would you suggest being quiet and move towards them to shorten the distance and then pull em in to you?
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
User avatar
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 6650
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:54 pm
Location: Livingston, Montana


Postby trigger22 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:33 pm

first i'd do my best to bring them to me. but depending on what is between you and the turkeys would be the biggest deciding factor. if there is anything between me and the birds that will cause them to "hang up" then i am gonna try to get to a location where i am afforded the opportunity to get the bird within shooting range. however if there are no hang ups i much prefer to bring em in to me. turkeys having keen eye sight and hearing, slipping in on them is pretty tough. but now your putting yourself on a ridge line that only makes you more visible. i hope this helps and answers your question.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
User avatar
trigger22
hunter
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Postby jrockncash » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:08 am

IMO sit and wait cause they are coming up to strut. If you can get hid then you will be ok. If its later in the day and they are going down then try and get to them. Western Turks are a little different. I like really aggressive tactics but thats me. I shot a 9 and a quarter beard last year by running at them after we busted them up. Good luck. Nampa do you really have to drive far to get to the turks?
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
User avatar
jrockncash
hunter
 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:13 am

yeah, there are no turkeys near town. well there a few at the river but there's no season in this unit. where i am going doesn't even have that dense of a population, i have over a two hour drive to get where i'm huntin. the best habitat is north idaho, 5-6 hours away.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
User avatar
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 6650
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:54 pm
Location: Livingston, Montana

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:10 pm

If it were me, I would more 20 yards below the ridge line and sit my butt down!!!! Most of the time a gobbler will work up the hill to you. That way when he gobblers and struts he is seen and heard thoughout the area. You have a great chance to take this bird seeing as you have the high ground. The only way I`m doing any real moving is if there is a barrier. I`ll move parellel to this obstical and sit down.
The only thing that should hinder you is if he`s henned up. If the hen calls to you, cut her off and call louder than her. This is your best bet to pull her and the gobbler to you. Last ditch effort purr aggressivly and rake the leaves. Simulate a fight between two gobblers. Hope the one below wants to come see who wins.

Always try to stay above your bird in hilly terrain. You have the advantage

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
User avatar
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 2645
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: NC

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:24 pm

thanks stump and everyone else, i really appreciate it. so stump, basically i should act like a macho boss tom who owns the place and wants to "throw down"?
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
User avatar
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 6650
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:54 pm
Location: Livingston, Montana

Postby trigger22 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:51 pm

i caution that method idaho, due to the fact that if it is a tom that may not be the boss and has got his butt kicked in the recent past, he is not gonna want a thing to do with you. if you know hes the big man on the block then yeah tempt him to throw down
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
User avatar
trigger22
hunter
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:02 pm

trigger22 wrote:i caution that method idaho, due to the fact that if it is a tom that may not be the boss and has got his butt kicked in the recent past, he is not gonna want a thing to do with you. if you know hes the big man on the block then yeah tempt him to throw down


Well said Trigger22.

Remember this is a LAST RESORT!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
User avatar
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 2645
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: NC

Postby DuckinFool » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:29 pm

It depends on how close I am to the birds and the amount of foliage. I usually prefer to sit tight and see what the birds will do. If they are fairly close and not moving away I will try to work them my way.

If the birds begin moving away then I carefully move toward them or if possible go around them and setup from the opposite direction. If a gobbling bird suddenly gets quiet stay put and get your gun up and get ready because he is usually coming in to check you out. Also keep in mind that he is capable of suddenly popping up anywhere including right beside or behind you.

In my younger inexperienced days I messed up many gobblers by getting up and moving toward them when they got quiet. I finally learned that patience and the ability to sit in a spot for a few hours usually works better than a 5 mile hike in the morning.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Image
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
User avatar
DuckinFool
hunter
 
Posts: 1477
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:47 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Postby cutt-down » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:24 am

stumpjumper wrote:If it were me, I would more 20 yards below the ridge line and sit my butt down!!!! Most of the time a gobbler will work up the hill to you. That way when he gobblers and struts he is seen and heard thoughout the area. You have a great chance to take this bird seeing as you have the high ground. The only way I`m doing any real moving is if there is a barrier. I`ll move parellel to this obstical and sit down.
The only thing that should hinder you is if he`s henned up. If the hen calls to you, cut her off and call louder than her. This is your best bet to pull her and the gobbler to you. Last ditch effort purr aggressivly and rake the leaves. Simulate a fight between two gobblers. Hope the one below wants to come see who wins.

Always try to stay above your bird in hilly terrain. You have the advantage

STUMP


That is what I'd do! Toms like to strut on ridge tops so they can be seen. You can also use the back side of the ridge to hide you if you have to move. If the tom won't come in then call the hens. They'll usually drag the toms with them. Cutting off the boss hen whenever she calls sometimes makes her mad as hell. Where she goes..............he'll usually follow.
cutt-down
hunter
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: West TN.


Return to Turkey Hunting Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest