Campfire '08

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Campfire '08

Postby cut_un » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:05 pm

Figured I'd post this as a way to enjoy sharing our time in the turkey woods. Hope to share a few new stories soon but figured I would kick it off with "my first story". I say my first as it was the first real turkey I ever talked . I was a kid of about 12 years old, back before the days of turkey hunting videos and tapes. I did have a 45 record of Ben Rodgers Lee full of turkey sounds. The first call I ever purchased was a Lynch's Jet Call. It came with written instructions on how to make a feeding purr and a yelp, I had never heard a real turkey yelp or a feeding purr My father had me sit out in front of him about 50 yards so I could be the shooter and he the caller. He really did not know much more about turkey hunting than I did, looking back on it :oops: Anyway, a turkey gobbledon the roost out in front of me at about 200 yards, and he continued to gobble for about 2 hours. I guess my father finally gave up as I heard him start to make a few "bad notes on his wingbone caller" I came up with the idea, if dad can "goof off" so can I, sooooo, I pulled my brand new jet call out and started to make a few solf feed purrs. Within 2 mins. that old bird was standing not 40 yards in front of me, staring me down. I was had, gun laying on my lap, call in my hand, Only chance I had was to try to out draw this turkey :help: As I got my gun up, he ran by me, straight to my dad and luckly, he was ready to lower the hammer on him. So, I guess we both had a succcessful hunt, dad got the bird and I got to "talk turkey" That was a long long time ago, but it did lite a fire in me that still burns bright today :yes:
Last edited by cut_un on Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:03 pm

great story cut, thanks alot for sharing
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby rivertrash » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:57 am

cut_un, that got me thinking about my first turkey, more about what I wore for hunting gear back then. I had a pair of brown corduroy pants, flannel shirt in a green pattern, and cowboy boots. Those were simple times. I still have those old boots, with a big scratch across the left toe where I snagged a downed barb wire fence and feel down while carrying out my first bird. I think of that day every time I pull those old boots out. Good Times.
rivertrash
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Yea, river, when I look back at the camo patterns of years gone byand even before I had the camo, I had one hunting coat, brown, one pair of hunting pants,brown wore them to deer hunt, turkey hunt and squirrel hunt. Times have really changed, but THEY were all GOOD TIMES :yes:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:02 pm

Another story comes to mind, talking about days gone by :rofl: I guess I was in my early 20s. I was more of a sit and wait type of turkey hunter back then" old school". The first turkey deks just hit the stores and were plastic silos. I just did not have the momey to buy one soooooo, I came of with the idea of making one out of foam rubber. Made two of them, one for me and another for my father. After I finished getting them ready I set them up in the yard and at 40 yards, they looked pretty good...to me. Sat. found me setting in my usual spot with my "new turkey dek" in the edge of a peanut field. Later that morning I was able to draw a big old gobbler out of the gum swamp for a look at "Henrietta" and to hear her sweet talk". I spotted him about 50 yards looking straight at Henrietta. He stood around for a min. or two giving her the once over and slowly started to walk away. I stopped him at 60 yards with my wingbone, he turned and stuck his neck straight out to look at her again, this continued several more times, each time with him sticking that old long neck out to have a good look. I did not kill that turkey, told my dad about the effects of my homemade dek, he never used the one I made for him and I never used mine again either. :rofl: :rofl:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:35 am

Well guys, this morning was different :yes: Set a spell and I'll lay it out for ya...... :biggrin:
Daybreak(4-17) found me set up back down by the lake on the other side of "about where" I had heard a bird gobble a few times on Monday, been trying to locate a few birds so this was the first one I had slipped back in on for a show down. It took a few mins. to get to him so I was not able to get in as tight as I would have liked to. My guess I was about 100 yards from him , with the lake on my right, he was roosted about 200 yards off the lake to my left. As the day broke he was gobbling pretty good as a bird/birds down the lake 400 or 500 yards got really cranked up,( tomorrow morn) several birds as the gobbling of the futher birds were almost non stop at one point. :yes: My bird gobbled several times and with a few soft tree yelps( slate call) I heard him hit the ground. He would gobble about every 10 mins. and I could tell he was headed to the lake and probably to the other birds. After sev mins. I heard him gobble again and realizied the was actually moving my way instead of heading towards the other birds.I figured I had a good chance at that point :wink: My guess he was at about 50 yards when I yelped with my box call and he cut me off. I knew at that point he'd be looking at my deks any min. now.At about 40 yrds the first thing I was was that big old white head as he strutted back and forth. He was working his way around the little ridge I was sitting on so I let him walk into the gun. At 30 yds I got my first good luck at him, full fan and a nice long beard. From what I could tell I really wanted to invite him home for dinner so at 6:50 4/17 it was :hammer: time in the Va. turkey woods :yes:
20 lbs. 10 1/2" beard w/ 1 1/8" sharp spurs

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum