Missouri Turkey Season

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Missouri Turkey Season

Postby echoXLT » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Don't get me wrong, Missouri is in the top 2 for turkey hunting states. But, I for one, hate the way that Missouri sets up our turkey season. First off, this year our season starts like the 21st of April. My brother was out fishing last week and said that he heard a couple tearing it up. Year after year, our season is set way too late, and the thing is, MDC admits to it and says they want to prevent overharvesting. Most years, by the time season starts, they are pretty much done, which makes for some tough hunting. Last year, my buddy in Wyoming was hunting turkeys I think like two weeks before I was. How does that work?!

The next thing is how you can kill two, but only one the first week. So if you kill one opening day, you have to wait till the second week to hunt again. Then, if you don't kill one the first week, you have to kill your two on separate days in either the second or third week.

Just letting out a little steam. :mad:
echoXLT
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:39 am

I hear ya brother, sounds a little weird to me too :huh: Our season here in Va. comes in on the 12th of April. It, being planned on allowing the hunters to hunt just past the peak of the breeding allows us to be in the woods after most of the hens have been bred. Depending on how the spring weather is , like you, it can be about over or just beginning. Hope you get your birds :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Missouri Turkeys

Postby Chiefs » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:14 pm

I would have to rate Missouri as #1 not in the top 2. Some of the things that you question are the reason that Missouri hunters have the opportunity to hunt mature gobblers instead of jakes. I would much rather they are conservative with the resource and the quality remain high, then have an over harvest of gobblers and the chance for mature birds to decrease. The old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it applies, this is by far the best hunting for mature gobblers of anystate in the country and the reason is the management practices that have gotten this population to this point. The regulation requiring you to take your birds on different days eliminates the opportunity of flock shooting a group of gobblers, and then what happens is not only are 2 dead but often the chance of additional gobblers. It is hard to beleive that this regulation would be a problem when it is just"forcing " you to have to go out and hunt another day, now how bad can that be. All and all Missouri hunters can get spoiled, try going to a few other states that I have visited and you will appreciate the oportunites here.
Chiefs
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:38 pm

I kill at least one bird every spring off of a 85 acre tract. Season dates work for me. :biggrin:
goosetalk
hunter

Postby echoXLT » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm

I guess the main problem that is that MO seasons are set so that they benefit the hunters in the northern portion of the state rather than the southern half of the state. Come visit SE MO and you will see what I'm talkin about. I don't think that you will find many hunters down here that wouldn't like to see our season open almost two weeks earlier than normal. I know alot of good turkey hunters that went two weeks with out hearing a single gobble :eek: . Now you tell me that our season isn't jacked up!

What I would really like to see, is for the mdc to zone up missouri similar to what they do for ducks. Still have the same limits, but I think we could get by with just a north and south zone.
echoXLT
hunter

Postby duckhnter4life » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:22 pm

what is the number 1 turkey state
our season starts tomarrow
Justin

1-specklebelly
1-mallard
1-blue wing teal
1-grey duck
3-wood ducks
(only been out twice)
duckhnter4life
hunter

Postby echoXLT » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:16 am

The number one turkey state each year is always between MO and TX.
echoXLT
hunter

Postby duckhnter4life » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:43 pm

o ok I was sorta thinking that but I live here and have no idea where to go for easterns or rios but i saw 3 rios on land that they transported them to but its a no hunt.

where are the turkeys in tx?
Justin

1-specklebelly
1-mallard
1-blue wing teal
1-grey duck
3-wood ducks
(only been out twice)
duckhnter4life
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:52 pm

man west TX is covered up with some turkeys. also so is the area around lake fork. i hunted out in west texas for turkey last spring and i called in a nice double for us. Rio's are a ton of fun. where bouts in TX you at?
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum