1st Turkey of the year

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

1st Turkey of the year

Postby tripleCBoykins » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:27 am

First bird of the O8 season 21 lbs, both spurs 1 3/16, 9 3/4 beard. Today is the fourth day of the season and this is the first bird I've really got to work on. Took me 3 hours but I finally got where the hens wanted to go. The rest is history.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby David » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:24 am

Good job tripleC. :thumbsup:
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:35 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Man, don't ya just love in when you get into their head.

GREAT JOB& NICE BIRD TOO
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:42 pm

There ain't nothing like winning when you turkey hunt. It never gets old. I would hate to know the percentages of the wins to losses and I know they are always going to be in the favor of the turkey. A hen messed me up on this bird yesterday, but today they put him between a rock and a hard place.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:38 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
NOW THAT`S WHAT I`M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!! Right now you the man baby.
Way to bounce back and get in their heads!! NICE BIRD!!!! Looks to be a 4 1/2 year old gobbler. Well not anymore :eek: :eek:

I`m jealous now, and ITCH`N TO GO

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:52 pm

thats a nice bird and has got me itchin to go. way to hang in there and not let him get the best of ya. time and time again i've had birds get me all sorts of upset and riled up, and then next thing i knew i played all my cards just right and boom dead bird. i'm itchin to go now
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Hey Stump,
I'm looking forward to the NC opener too. I ain't been home to turkey hunt in three years. Little story about ten years ago I was responsible for about 20% of the birds killed in Macon County. My uncle and I limited out in two days. Then I helped a friend get one, 5 birds in four days of hunting. I think there were 26 birds checked in Macon that year. I'm not bragging but its a true story.
THANKS everyone, I wish ya'll luck!!!
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:48 pm

tripleCBoykins wrote:Hey Stump,
I'm looking forward to the NC opener too. I ain't been home to turkey hunt in three years. Little story about ten years ago I was responsible for about 20% of the birds killed in Macon County. My uncle and I limited out in two days. Then I helped a friend get one, 5 birds in four days of hunting. I think there were 26 birds checked in Macon that year. I'm not bragging but its a true story.
THANKS everyone, I wish ya'll luck!!!

BBBHHHAAAAWWWW you go brother. That is hilarious. I hope you kept the hunting report for your county when it came out as a keep sake.

I remember the year I killed a bird on a real small section of game lands in Stanly co. It was the first year turkey hunting was allowed in the county. Under Stanly county gamelands in the harvest report there was 1 bird killed. MINE. I still have the printout

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tripleCBoykins » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:08 am

Number 2 bit the dust this AM. A two year old bird 1 inch spurs, 9 inch beard, 16 lbs. Hens flew off the roost right behind me. The gobbler was already on the ground under them when they flew down. I ran them off. Then proceeded to call him in, a few yelps, a couple of cutts and three gobbles later he was DOA.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:03 am

this time of the year kills me, you "Southern boys" are gettin-er-done and all I can do is read about it. :thumbsdown: Glad you'all are having fun, my time will come so for now, keep the success stories coming. I LOVE it when a plan comes together :wink:

NICE BIRD :yes:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby drake~slayer » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:37 pm

Great bird. I cant wait till our season starts. This saturday. Tomorrow in fact. I cant hunt but i have a spot on a buddies property with some birds. I will get em real soon
Shoot 'em in the face.
drake~slayer
hunter

Postby hillman raider » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:48 pm

Great job, and a nice bird to boot. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
hillman raider
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum