What do you think???

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

What do you think???

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:21 pm

Folks are always takin sides on the discussion of shooting Jakes :huh: How do you feel :huh: Will ya or won't ya

:thumbsdown: ?? :thumbsup: ??
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:44 pm

I have shot my share of jakes in years past, but that was whenever i was much younger and had just started turkey hunting. But now a days i wouldn't even consider squeezin the trigger on a jake. I dont really see anything wrong with someone else shooting a jake, but I wouldnt myself. I have killed my share of big birds and to me shootin jakes doesnt really pose much of a challenge. I'd personally rather spend an entire season and not kill a bird than to settle for a jake.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:00 am

:thumbsup: It mostly depends on where im hunting and how good of a season im having and also how late or early in the season it is. So yea i would shoot a jake depending on some circunstances. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:13 am

For a young hunter or someone without expierence yes shooting a Jake is fine. I've killed three total, don't plan on killing any more than that. I would much rather see him the next year as a Long beard.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:49 am

hell ya, just cut the breast off and leave the rest just joking I will take any turkey or hen tom turkey but if i can i will try to get the big tom
cONG
hunter

Postby OneShot » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:37 pm

Getting any turkey in range is hard enough for me. If it has a beard, I shoooooooot.
OneShot
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:44 pm

I have never shot a jake and never will. I was lucky my first bird was a long beard and I figure why shot jakes now. Just like I don`t shot small bucks. Let them grow boys

Normaly if I take a new hunter I ask them if they will shoot a jake or if they want to wait for a long beard. I give them my views but they get the final desision. But if it`s a seasoned turkey hunter I make it known....no jakes period

Just my opinion guys. I`d rather wait and chase them as a 2 1/2 year old the following season. Just to let you know, I hunted with a muzzleloader for two years passing on 6 jakes. Finally got the long beard though and it was worth the wait

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 20bolt » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:08 pm

You guys know I am new to the game, and I have to say this spring I might, but come fall its all about big birds.

On bucks, man I am all about the young deer. For me deer hunting is about venison in the freezer. Where I hunt, they actually don't usually take many the big bucks. Their feeling is leaving the bigger bucks ensures a better gene pool.
20bolt
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:13 pm

If you're on public land you better go ahead and take the jake. Chances are if you don't someone else will. It's hard to find many big old critters on public land, at least around here where there isn't much hunting land.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:22 pm

I do just about 95 percent of my hunting on public land and have killed trophy class birds in several different states using public land. The birds are there, you just gotta put in the time and the effort to find em. Sometimes for me this has meant an hour and half walk to find that remote spot that is other wise unaccessible, or finding areas that are only accessible by boat.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:39 am

trigger22 wrote:I do just about 95 percent of my hunting on public land and have killed trophy class birds in several different states using public land. The birds are there, you just gotta put in the time and the effort to find em. Sometimes for me this has meant an hour and half walk to find that remote spot that is other wise unaccessible, or finding areas that are only accessible by boat.

:dito:

This will be the FIRST year I have ever hunted private land. So far all of the birds I have taken have been on Public land.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bluewing77 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:52 am

just say no to jakes!

i've been lucky to hunt private land for merriams out here in NM. but we're not always the only hunters during the season on those lands.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:22 pm

I too have shot a jake or two early on, when a gobbler was a gobbler, but the more turkeys I was lucky enough to play with, I realized it was more about the challenge of the hunt... not the kill. Myself, I have no problem with anyone taking a Jake, they do eat mighty good. :yes: But, I spring turkey hunt for the show ,the opportinity to match wits with the old Saltin of the spring turkey woods. :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Jakes or no jakes

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:49 pm

I gotta tell ya about an old man who once said to me in his old gravelly voice, he said,,,,son, do you wanna know how to kill a BIG buck,,,to which I answered, "yes sir". He said, don't kill a little one!

That was over thirty years ago. Made sense then, still does today.

Same thing goes for Turkeys. I don't do jakes.

I would also say that it's been my experince that by letting those jakes go by, many times there's a big one not far behind them.

I hope you all have a great season.

:thumbsup:
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:35 pm

Good point brother :wink:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un