Questions from a newbie.

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Questions from a newbie.

Postby GCox25 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:04 pm

I have a question for all you veteran hunters out there.

I am preparing to go on my first turkey hunt ever in a few short weeks. We have spent the last couple of weeks scouting the area and have a good flock of birds tracked down.

My question has to do with ammo and chokes. I have a Mossberg 835 with a 28" barrel and factory modified choke.

Do any of you think I need to buy a different choke to hunt turkeys and if so, what kind of choke and what size shells?

If my factory choke is okay, what size shells do you recommend I use?

Thanks in advance for your input.
GCox25
hunter

Postby Honkers41 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:09 pm

GC...why don't you go out on the range and pattern it at 20 yards then 30 yards....Try useing Kents turkey or winchester number 6's 3 inch mags....you've already done your homework on where the birds are....so shoot the gun and you'll be ready...Honkers41
Honkers41
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:35 pm

I agree with Honkers, see what you have first. I like # 5 shot, most folks recomend shot sizes of 4-6 so I split the difference. You may wish to get/try a full choke but the object is to get the bird into killing range of "our gun". I bet with # 4sor 5s, you gun will do just fine out to 30 -35 yards. BUT, shoot it just to be safe, Good Luck and :welcome: to the great sport of turkey hunting :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:52 pm

first let me take the time to welcome you to the wonderful world of turkey hunting :welcome:

I used to use an 835 ulti mag myself several years back and killed a whole lot of birds with that gun. I prefferred the winchester supreme in 3.5in #5. and i used a mossberg super full turkey choke. at 40 yards that gun was deadly. but just like everyone has said you need to find the shells you want to shoot, I'd suggest taking a couple different brands and take your gun out and pattern it. if it does good with your factory modified choke then you dont need another one, but just remember that you are gonna be shooting out to 35-40 yds and a turkey head aint that big. good luck to ya and again :welcome:
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:13 pm

I am using an 835 this year. I am using Remington Copper #5 in 3-1/2 in. I have a Carlson's X-full. It patterns great at 35-55 yrds. Closer it is a pretty tight pattern, but the relative size of the birds head is bigger too. Farther I think might be pushing it.

Just to be safe, I will have some #6 in the tube for follow up shots.
20bolt
hunter

Postby GCox25 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:56 am

Thanks for all the replies and the welcomes guys.

I still have two scouting trips planned before our season opens, so that will give me a great excuse to find some targets and shoot some shells.

Thanks again.
GCox25
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:50 am

I also shot an 835. I`ve tried a BUNCH of choke/shell combo`s over the years. Best to date ( an excellant pattern ) using an Pure Gold .670 choke and 3" heavy 13 1 3/4 oz load #6`s. Devastating.

But before you run out and get a new choke and a bunch of shells get yourself some good sights. I use William Firesights. Make sure that you can adjust windage and elevation first and foremost. Using Kentucky windage ain`t going to cut it when your looking down the barrel at a strutting Tom

STUMP
Last edited by stumpjumper on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:18 pm

I have 835 ulti mag and I shoot Remington 3.5 inch turkey loads out of a Mossberg Ulti Full choke. Five pellets in the kill zone is no problem. At 50 yards I put 5 pellets in a 1" bull.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum