Morning and evening

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Morning and evening

Postby orangefoot » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:49 pm

Why dont turkeys gobble as much in the evening as much as they do in the mornings? In went scouting one evening and didnt hear a single turkey and went back the next morning to the same exact place and heard about 10 turkeys gobbling. :huh:

Are they just tired and not as fired up about a new day out in the woods like we are? :rofl:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:45 pm

We have just started allowing hunters to hunt "all day" during the last two weeks of the season two years ago.. before that ,we knock off at 12.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:48 pm

We can hunt all day although I usually head out at about 10:00 or 11:00. But I did get a shot at a gobbler at 1:05 P.M. one afternoon because i didnt go hunting till 11:00. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:59 pm

between 9 am and 2 pm seems to be the most productive time for me. however, i always tend to find myself out in the woods bright and early and coming out nice and late. that is of course unless i am successful. i really dont think that i have noticed a really big difference in how vocal a turkey is from morning to evening with the exception being while they are on the roost. whether your in a roosting area well before they wake and you witness all the commotion that is made just before fly down, or if your in an area thats a roost after they have already flown up for the night. thats when i hear the most gobbles. before coming down from roost and after there in the roost.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:25 pm

its there gobbler spot most of the time they will gobbler were there not afrade, or struting zones, i here turkey gobbler every day at the same spot for 4 days its kind of weird but its true
cONG
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:58 am

cut_un wrote:We have just started allowing hunters to hunt "all day" during the last two weeks of the season two years ago.. before that ,we knock off at 12.

my biggest regret in this business of chasing turkeys, is 2 years ago, buddy and i were walking back to the truck down a logging road. it was getting late, but not quite dark yet. 2 toms come silently walking up the road towards us, (i'm guessing to roost) we bailed to either side of the road and let em walk up. they turned off the road at about 30 yards and we let em go. the idea was to go back and hunt them the next morning and "do it right". well, you know how the story ends = didnt see a thing the next day! and that was it for me, no more time for turkey that year :no:
bluewing77
hunter

Re: Morning and evening

Postby cutt-down » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:18 am

orangefoot wrote:Why dont turkeys gobble as much in the evening as much as they do in the mornings? In went scouting one evening and didnt hear a single turkey and went back the next morning to the same exact place and heard about 10 turkeys gobbling. :huh:

Are they just tired and not as fired up about a new day out in the woods like we are? :rofl:

My take is that in the mornings they are in a "pecking" order thing & trying to get as many hens to come to them as possible. After the hens go to nest they start looking for more hens. You'd think that when they are alone they'd gobble their damn heads off & some do. I have noticed that between 10-2 if one gobbles then I feel REALLY confident that I'm gonna kill him. Most of my success has happened during the middle of the day.
cutt-down
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:30 am

There are a few reasons why there is more gobbling in the mornings than in the evenings.
First, they have been sitting there mostly tight lipped all night. Holding in all that testastorone wears on them. Second, they gobble to attempt to call hens to them. The more hens the more fun they will have. Almost ALL mating takes place in the morning until mid-day. Third, domanince, they gobble to set a pecking order.
At about mid-day most if not all hens are setting on the nest, gobblers then go into a feeding mode. They will attempt to regain energy for the next day. They will still gobble and can be worked quite well at this time and you don`t have to contend with all those hens. A hour or so before fly up some birds will re-group to go to roost. Remember there is safety in numbers. Gobblers with hens or another gobbler for company don`t need to gobble due to the fact that the hens aren`t coming to them. They are already there or are going to roost themselves. You can at times get them to shock gobble in the evenings but it`s a little harder.

Took my nefhew out last year on youth day. Found an area torn up. Set down 1 hour before fly up. I hit every locator at fly up time but got no reply. But with that much sign I couldn`t walk away. The next morning at dawn 8 birds gobbled only 200 yards away. GO FIGURE.

And yes, he got his fisrt bird

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Congrats to your nephew. I heard 5 gobbling this morning and 4 of them were in the same tree. Probably a bunch of jakes. Im going to go back this evenin and see if i can "put them to bed" before season opens tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Im so ready for it. :yes:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:23 pm

OF, you can tell a jake from a gobbler 95% of the time by their gobble. A jake can not do a full gobble, it cuts off about 3/4 of the way to a full gobble. Once you`ve heard it you will be able to recognize it in the future.

Best of luck to you tomorrow. I hope everything goes as planned.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:46 pm

Good Luck orangefoot :thumbsup: I know you will enjoy being in the turkey woods, Hope the turkey Gods smile on ya , come back and tell us all the details :wink:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:37 pm

Thanks i will let you know all the details. Im going to try to get my papaw his first turkey. I will be carrying a shotgun to though. :rofl:

I heard 3 gobbling this evening im going to get setup on the edge of a field in the morning they were gobbling about 200 yards from the edge of the field in the woods. Hope everything goes as i plan. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum