Favorite Call Type

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Favorite Call Type

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:09 pm

What are y'alls favorite type of call? Personally I like the diaphrams. They take awhile to pick up, but I like them alot. After that I like a box calls and friction calls. Box calls are easy to use, and my Primos Jackpot (which is glass not slate) can really get the volume cranked up. I'm planning on getting the Roberts Brothers Pro Hunter so I don't have to carry a glass friction call and a slate one.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:49 pm

I like the friction calls. Mostly the glass. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:55 pm

i'm a diaphram man myself
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:10 pm

I guess for me the friction calls sound most like a turkey to my ear. I guess I've killed more turkeys using a wingbone, with a friction call to close the deal. BUT, I have to say, I like/use them all :thumbsup: on any given day one will out perform all the rest, question is "which one" :huh:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:11 am

Super Aluminator! I like aluminum friction. Great for those scarp pitches as a locate call, and hard to beat the purr that comes off the call. I don't prefer box calls, because they just don't sound right to me. They have a sort of hollow sound. I back up the friction with a diaphragm call to alleviate movement at the time of kill.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tripleCBoykins » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:36 am

I'm going to say friction, but I use everything in my vest!!
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:14 am

My favorite type of call would be Bronzed Glass pot call ( CuttnRun ). It gives me the highest pitches and the softest purrs. I use it in conjunction with a diaphram call. But once the bird is getting close I use ONLY a diaphram perferably a Quackerboy screaming green

BUT, I don`t limit my calls or calling style. I carry WAY to many different calls into the woods. I use what the bird wants me to use

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MossyGO! » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:51 pm

Mainly diaphrams and glass.
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cutt-down » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:36 am

Whatever the turkey wants to hear! I mainly use a glass or slate friction call but switch to a diaphragm when they get in close.
cutt-down
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:35 pm

I prefer diaphragm calls but will use box, slate, and wishbone calls if not getting great response from mouth calls.
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby Bayou state shutterbug » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:51 am

My all time favorite is the Primos Power Crystal slate type call. I can go as soft or as loud as I need. I can really crank up the volume and pitch with it and the gobblers eat it up.

I can't use a diaphram anymore. I used to be able to but now my gag reflex has gotten bad and even after trimming them down I can't hardly stand one in my mouth.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bayou state shutterbug
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum