A Little Forida Rainy Day Turkey Action

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

A Little Forida Rainy Day Turkey Action

Postby badandy970 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:37 pm

I shot him on thursday after 2 1/2 hours of sitting in the pouring rain. Thank God for frog toggs & the good ole Remington 11/87 Super Mag.

Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby captainduckhead » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Nice bird. Do you ever put them in a smoker to cook them? Very delicious!
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:02 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great job..!
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Chris Bishop » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Nice Badandy!!! sure wished we had turkeys around here. The flying kind!!!
Chris Bishop
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:46 pm

I usually don't but I may have to give it a try. I have cooked tame turkeys that way just not da wild kind.
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gadwall getter » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:46 pm

great lookin gobbler! :thumbsup:
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby hillman raider » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:52 pm

Nice lookin bird man. :thumbsup: :yes:
hillman raider
hunter

Postby mashin_da_ducks » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:57 pm

Hey congrats on your first bird of the season. It is right? :rofl:
Give a kid a duck and he will be happy for an hour, teach him to hunt and he will be hooked for life!
mashin_da_ducks
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:49 am

Nice turkey Bad. "and WHO said you cant kill turkeys in the rain" Details, how long did it take to close the deal, what call did him in. Would love to hear the story :wink:

Chris, was you your way bear hunting several years ago, "Love your neck of the woods" you may not have turkeys ...but the woods are FULL of critters, BIG critters :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:53 pm

Now for the story, I have been really busy with today being the wifes birthday. I had to drive like 3 hours after work to get to the camping area. Then set up tents in the hurricane force winds. Then try to whip up something to eat. Finally went to bed at about midnight.

Woke up at 4:30 to the rain, so I figured well time for some coffee. Got the coffee started, went to the truck to get my clothes and they were soaked. I was like what the Friek. Then realized that I had left the sun roof open. Well thank God for the waterproof seat covers. Well got the extra clothes and got dressed.

So now i hear the coffee is done, so I grab a cup and go to take a sip and I thought that I had drank Lava. LOL Burned the Sh!t out of my tongue. So i got dress, loaded the truck up and headed for the hunting. Got to the turn off and realized I had forgotten my billfold. So had to go back and get it.

Got to where I wanted to hunt and started walking. Mind you that it is still raining cats and dogs and blowing like crazy. I had decided to take a guy with me that had never seen a turkey up close let alone killed one.

So I found a spot and set up, I put him, in front of me and to the right figuring that he would come from my left. So we sat there for about an hour and hadn't heard anything and it was now 7:00 am. I hit the diaphragm a few times no joy. Hit the box call and no joy. I put my bag in front of me and hit the slate call and you guess it no joy.

So reached in my bag of tricks and hit the old raspy girl and he fired of a couple good gobbles a long long long way's away. I called him past three other guys and had him on the run. He was running so fast that he ran right past me and I had to call him back to me.

So he so a strutting left to right along the timber line I am set up on. I catch a gimp as he walks bet wince two bushes. He steps out in the open full strut. He sees the other guy and perks up and I say now er never. he doesn't move so I snatch the remington and bam. He does about 3 back flips and I run out and grab him.

I look at the other guy and he is shaking like a leaf. So I took him to the check station and he is weighed and measured.

So later we are going to look for some turkeys for the next day and this happens.

So after I had to walk back to the road and go get help. Hitched a ride with a couple of guys, and they couldn't get me out. Finally got out and cleaned it up an it had a wild vibration.

So I left and headed home and fixed it. Nothing big so I had a wild turkey hunt and it all paid off.
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUCKWHACKER » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:21 am

Nice bird Andy. I know the spot your mired down in, caught many a catfish near there. :biggrin: Good job pullin' a bird out of that area. I've deer and duck hunted around there quite a bit and very rarely saw turkeys. Congrats. :thumbsup:
Regional Director United Waterfowlers of Florida

Member of the Bay Area Quack Ho's
DUCKWHACKER
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:38 am

Nice turkey. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum