Youth Day!

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Youth Day!

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:13 pm

Our state offers a youth turkey hunting day the Sat. before our season comes in on the 12th. Does not look like I will have a child to take out this year. :huh: Still looking :yes: BUT, my question is, how many of you take the opportinity to share the sport with a young un :huh:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:00 pm

how old do you have to be in Kansas to take someone out?
cONG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:20 am

Hope someone can answer that, here in Va. the hunter can not be over 16 and the adult can not carry a gun. It's really a great time to introduce a child to the wonderful world of turkey hunting :yes:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:57 am

Our youth day in on the 5th of April one week before opening day.

A friend from Ft Bragg called me about a youth hunt that the QDMA group was putting on. They are taking 10 kids who`s fathers are currently or about to be deployed to Iraq or Afganistan. Bruce and myself ( CuttnRun Calls ) were asked to put on a seminar on using locator and turkey calls and discuss hunting tactics. We GLADLY acceppted. We had a great time working with these kids and offered our assistance in any way possible. I was told that they needed more or better callers for the hunt. So I got on the phone/web and contacted some friends of mine to help these kids out. In total I have pulled 4 GOOD callers. Two friends around where I live, Bruce Randall himself, and Mr Trigger22 himself right here at DHC ( THANKS BRO ). Unfortunitly I will not be able to call in the morning for a child due to prior arrangments to take my nefhew out again this year. But as soon as he drops one it`s off to Ft Bragg to help anyone out who hasn`t been successful. Ft Bragg has opened 140,000acres to these kids that contains 1000 food plots and in areas is covered in birds. The biologist are going out daily and documenting the birds on these food plots to put the kids in the best area possible on youth day. They have contacted Will Primos and Uncle Ted trying to get some BIG support. Right now Will is trying to get a film crew there and Ted is attemtpting to clear his calender. But with it being so close to turkey season it is still i n question as to if either will be able to come thru. So arrangements have been made to have at least one film crew on a hunt, multiple base personel will show up for the after hunt dinner, and both the base and local newspaper will be there. And we are still working on get donations for the kids like gloves, masks, shells, etc.
All I hope is that everyone involved has a great day and these kids get to hear or see thier first wild turkey.
We are already working on the hunt for next year and plan on it being a HUGH event

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:11 am

Stump, may I suggest you get in touch with Buck Gardner. He is VERY active in promoting all activities that include kids. I'm sure he will step up to the plate in a big way. Good Luck, sounds like you guys are "up to something good" :thumbsup:

Also, you may want to talk it up on our "new "military site, bet some of those guys would /could help. They are looking for ways to help & also wanting to get/be involved :wink:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:27 am

Thanks for the advice Cut!!!!! Greatly appreciated

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:58 am

Stump, we had a similer hunt a while back here in Va., we posted it on our state site and local folks here on DHC really stepped up. I was running around late the Friday night before the hunt picking up shells and the like. I bet those NC boys would do the same.

Good Luck brother, hope you guys rack up a BIG pile of feathers :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:53 pm

I'm really looking forward to it Stump, and again thanks a bunch for the opportunity. I cant wait to see the smile on that kids face when he gets his first bird.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum