Turkeys in the snow

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Turkeys in the snow

Postby birdslayer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:19 pm

I am in eastern wa., and it keeps snowing up here. Today I saw three flocks of silent turkeys. I was wondering if anybody knows about snows affect on gobbling and breeding? Last year the breeding seemed to peak about April 5.
birdslayer
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:22 am

Here in Alabama cold weather can shut the turkey's down. I've hunted in snow in NC and it never bothered them. In fact Ive killed birds in the snow in NC. I think it just depends on what the turkeys feel like and what part of the breeding cycle they are in. Last year at the start of the season the turkeys were still in winter flocks. This year they have already busted up into smaller groups. Get out there and keep an eye on them and you will have a good idea of what they are going to do come opening day.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Only hunted in the snow once & killed a bird that gobbled. It was 65+/- degrees the day before & it started snowing with a cold front. Temps dropped to 28 degrees the next morning. Bird gobbled up till I shot him. That's in West TN. & man was I cold that morning. :yes:
cutt-down
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:05 pm

It was explained to me many years ago that that old gobbler is a lot like you and I, meaning that if we get up in the morning and it's a beautiful day, birds singing, blue warm skys, it just feels good to be alive and "we& the gobbler are very talkative. If it's cold, rainy, general ugly outside all we want to do is sit around and stay warm. That's what I've been told. :huh: I personally do not think snow, itself shuts them down. We had snow on our youth day just last year and a few of the young-uns dropped the hammer on some big old snowy gobblers :yes:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum