I need some advice

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

I need some advice

Postby wright_hunter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:06 pm

i have been scouting all week and i am a first year turkey hunter. well the land i hunt is 90 acers. well im set up in a blind on a field between the woods and creek. i was sitting and watching a hen run around and cut about 75 yards from my blind and on the hill top i can hear all these other hens and one big gobbler. how can i get him to come in. he gets about half way down the hill and i will watch him sit and look at these hens. what can i do to pull him close.
dont scratch a tiger with a short stick.
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter
Banned - screwed member in classifieds

Postby trigger22 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:30 pm

i would suggest moving further up the hill. if you can get set up on the ridge line then do so. its far easier to make a turkey come parallel across the hill or even up the hill than it is to get him to come down it.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:31 pm

almost forgot, if you do get set up on the ridgeline remember not to skyline yourself. you should be about 5-10 ft lower than the top of the hill in order to prevent silouetting yourself.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:42 pm

How long are you hunting wright? Are you setting up a day break, watching the birds fly do or what. Chances are , time is on your side,if you call to him at daylight, he may hang with the hens but if you sit tight, he will slip in thinking he can breed "one more hen" If you have the time, wait him out. He will slip up :thumbsup:
Good Luck and keep us posted :wink:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby wright_hunter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:47 pm

well im going out again in the morning and setting up at day break and im gonna wait him out.
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:16 pm

:thumbsup: You will again have the hens around but just enjoy the morning, relax, I bet after a while he'll come alookin :wink:

Another way to deal with gobblers that are henned up is to call to the hens, with a bit of cutting you may fire the hens up and call those hens to your location , they in turn will drag him along!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:59 pm

Great advice guys,

I will add to the info. Alot of times a big old gobbler will stay with all those hens what seems like an eternity. BUT, eventualy they will go to nest leaving old longbeard lonely at mid day. If you can`t make it to the ridge before day light without getting busted, can`t wait him out, or call the hens to you, then try a mid afternoon hunt if legal in your state. Slip in there around 12 or so and see what he does.

Also if your using decoys then you may want to try using a strutting tom deek hoping he will feel threatened and come on over to whoop some new comers tail.

Over all, if you don`t bump him EVENTUALLY he will mess up.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:31 pm

If that doesnt work wright what i would do is see if hes using the same route from the roost to the nesting grounds. Sounds like hes using the ridgeline as his access. I would get up tommorrow to see if he does it again. Use tommorrow to sit him out like the other guys said and if he uses that same route in the morning get up before its even gray outside. Go up to the spot on the top of the ridge and hunker down. Get in between where they are and where they want to go. You better show pics if you smoke em.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:56 am

cut_un wrote::
Another way to deal with gobblers that are henned up is to call to the hens, with a bit of cutting you may fire the hens up and call those hens to your location , they in turn will drag him along!

That's worked for me in the past several times. If the hens start talking back to you then cut them off & mock them. Imagine someone interuppting your conversation mocking you. It eventually p!sses you off. Some times the boss hen will get p!ssed & come in looking to whip up on you. Had one not too long ago come in & couldn't find me so she whipped the hen next to her that was 10yds from me. I almost spit my diaphragm out laughing. Had one drag in 3 toms strutting once & lowered the boom on the biggest one. It works sometimes & sometimes it doesn't but it's worth a try.
cutt-down
hunter

Postby wright_hunter » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:17 pm

i went this morning and i waited and waited but he finally slipped up and came on down. well he got closer and closer but never close enough for a shot. but i tried calling at those hens and they came on up towards me and he followed. but he was about 60 yards out so i never took the shot but those hens came in at about 15 yards from me. it was nice watching them all put on a show. even tho i dident get him where i wanted him. i enjoyed the hunt. im gonna get him though i know it hes wanting to come on past me into the next field and so are those hens. but if im there making chatter they are pretty well contempt and sticking around. but he was in full strut again this morning and gosh hes a nice bird. but im gonna get him. like yall said if i cant get on him im gonna get on the ridgeline or on the backside of the hill where hes roostin and get him waken up in the morning. :biggrin: but thanks yall were really helpful and dont worry hes gonna be mine.

you know i have been using a knight and hale tom coffin and a MAD aluminum slate call and im pleased how there working the birds.
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:18 pm

And "the battle begins" :thumbsup: Neat thing about T hunting, it's about the hunt, not the kill, enjoy the challenge of "getting in his head" When it does happen, you will be soooo proud :yes:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:02 pm

Wait him out.............he'll get lonely one day! :yes:
cutt-down
hunter

Postby wright_hunter » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:20 pm

im trying again in the morning and you guys wait im gonna bag that old tom
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:27 pm

cut_un wrote:And "the battle begins" :thumbsup: Neat thing about T hunting, it's about the hunt, not the kill, enjoy the challenge of "getting in his head" When it does happen, you will be soooo proud :yes:

Well said cut

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:47 am

Get up that ridge see what happens

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

jrockncash
hunter

Postby uncle paul » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:49 pm

Pretty Boy! with a jake fan.
uncle paul
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:23 am

Well did ya kill the dam turkey or not?

jrockncash
hunter

Postby wright_hunter » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:41 pm

no this morning we had a nice game of cat and mouse. i tryed waiting him out then he came in and never came back. so i started stalking him i followed him 200 yds + then he turned and went around me to the same spot we were in in the first time
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:55 pm

Where are you hunting? TN I hope. KY doesn't open till the 12.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:12 pm

:lol: oops

jrockncash
hunter

Postby don taylor » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:46 pm

I've found the best cure for a tom that won't come in is a hot little .223. Not very sporting you say? use a .22 hornet.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby wright_hunter » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:59 am

my hunt was scouting at first but this weekend i took my bro hunting on youth weekend
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:38 am

wright_hunter wrote:i went this morning and i waited and waited but he finally slipped up and came on down. well he got closer and closer but never close enough for a shot. but i tried calling at those hens and they came on up towards me and he followed. but he was about 60 yards out so i never took the shot but those hens came in at about 15 yards from me. it was nice watching them all put on a show. even tho i dident get him where i wanted him. i enjoyed the hunt. im gonna get him though i know it hes wanting to come on past me into the next field and so are those hens. but if im there making chatter they are pretty well contempt and sticking around. but he was in full strut again this morning and gosh hes a nice bird. but im gonna get him. like yall said if i cant get on him im gonna get on the ridgeline or on the backside of the hill where hes roostin and get him waken up in the morning. :biggrin: but thanks yall were really helpful and dont worry hes gonna be mine.

you know i have been using a knight and hale tom coffin and a MAD aluminum slate call and im pleased how there working the birds.

My bad I must have misunderstood. Good luck this weekend
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum