Humble Pie

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Humble Pie

Postby tripleCBoykins » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:14 am

This morning is the second time in two days I have had a piece of pie for breakfast. Yesterday I was hunting a bird and I got within 150 yards and made some cutts. He was on a little ridge that drops off into a small creek bottom. He double goobled when I cutt. I know he's coming. He comes off that ridge in half strut and gobbles at eighty yards. I'm watching the show, he steps behind a big black gum. I raise my gun, he putts :huh: and he marches off the way he came.
Today I sneak into the same bottom, day light comes he's sixty yards away in a sweet gum. All I see or hear is him flying down with a hen. Nothing not a peep!! I leave and seek enjoyment elsewhere.
I park the truck in a local park thats open to hunting. Get out, walk across the paved road and make some calls down into this creek bottom. GOOOOBBBBLLE. I run back to the truck get my gear. I move about sixty yards off the road and set up. Ten gobbles later he's at forty yards. Head up looking for that hen he heard. Boom, sweet gum about the size of your thumb falls over :mad: five yards in front of the bird. Away he fly's. ANOTHER piece pie for me!
Two great setup's and nothing to show for it. Oh well it wouldn't be hunting if you got them all. I just hate to mess up the easy ones :yes: .

3CB
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:39 am

Man, that tree falling was a tuff break :thumbsdown: But you did get to watch the show, that counts for something. As you said, the turkeys have to win a few too. Good Luck, "just a matter of when...not if" :wink:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:16 am

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, but THAT IS turkey hunting. Alot of things can go wrong. Murphey I believe lives in the turkey woods.
Take what you have learned and apply it to the rest of the season. In two hunts you`ve learned more about turkey hunting than a guy that hunts private land and has is all work out perfectly. Your now a butter turkey hunter from making those mistakes

Best of luck to you on your next outing

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tripleCBoykins » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:28 pm

Thank's Stump but when you been turkey hunting 20 plus years. I've learned those lesson's several times over. I still hate to make them. You only get so many chances every year.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:17 pm

It happens to the best of us brother. Me as well, just ask my daughter

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum