Slow Spring, but not bad so far!

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Slow Spring, but not bad so far!

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:39 am

Spring is coming slowly here, but we're off to a good start considering the weather we've had. Saw a gobbler yesterday standing in a foot of water while crossing a wheat field. Cool thing about it was a flock of Blue-wings and a pair of Canadas around him.

My youngest son and I have killed 4 so far and the Osceola he got in Florida finished his World Slam. Our best was a bird he killed in Georgia that had a 12 1/2 inch beard. Hopefully it will get better and the birds more active as it warms up.

Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby David » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:47 am

Very nice looking bird and congratulations to your son on the world slam.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:40 am

I'm new to turkeys. I'm familiar with the Grand Slam (I think that's what it's called), what comprises a World Slam? :help:

We only get one week to get one bird here in Michigan, if your application is drawn.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Slams

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:58 am

Grand Slam- Eastern, Rio, Osceola, Merriam's.
Royal Slam- the 4 above plus the Gould's, 5 total.
World Slam- the 5 above plus the Ocellated, 6 total.

I'm supposed to hunt Michigan this year for the first time. I look forward to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Thanks for the breakdown. And congrats to your son. That's quite the accomplishment!

For the spring turkey season? Awesome and good luck! Michigan is a pretty nice place, of couse, I'm somewhat partial to it. ;) What side of the state will you be hunting?
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Michigan

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm not sure. I felt sorry for some guys down from Michigan that were on a bad duck hunt in Arkansas last season and put them in one of my pits and they invited me to come up.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:18 pm

Thanks for the pic and sharing your hunts Fowler, sounds like you guys in fact are doing.... "OK" :thumbsup: Here in Va. had not had the best spring like weather yet either. Our season comes in on the 12th with this Sat. being our youth day, soooo we will see what we will see. It will be good to finally get after em :hammer:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:19 pm

That was generous! On your part. :)

Hope you have a good time up here!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:03 pm

Awsome bird man thats a good one right there. :thumbsup:
Congrats
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:39 pm

WOW, what a beard on that bird. Talk about sweet! Congratulations on the slam. A task not taken lightly. So what`s next on th agenda? New Nealand or Hawaii for some lava rio`s

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:42 pm

I've already been to New Zealand twice and the turkey hunting over there is all you've heard about. Ray Charles could have killed turkeys over there. I'm going back to the Sierra Madres for Gould's again in a few weeks. I love it down there. So many turkeys, so little time!

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:55 pm

man all that talk about a world slam has my mind goin all sorts of different directions. right now i'd kill for a grand slam. congrats cause that is quite an impressive accomplishment :thumbsup:
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Re: Next

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:20 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:I've already been to New Zealand twice and the turkey hunting over there is all you've heard about. Ray Charles could have killed turkeys over there. I'm going back to the Sierra Madres for Gould's again in a few weeks. I love it down there. So many turkeys, so little time!

You lucky dog you.
Maybe someday I will get the chance as well. I would like to do it on gamelands and 100% unguided. Just to see if I have what it takes

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bayou state shutterbug » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:08 pm

I'd be happy with just my first Eastern. Been at this for 9 seasons now and haven't killed the first bird, even though I've plenty of chances. Public land hunting sucks sometimes.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bayou state shutterbug
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:28 pm

:welcome: to the site :thumbsup: Hang in there brother, Seems like the first can be awfully tuff to get somethimes, Bet the second will be a cake walk for ya :yes:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

public land

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:06 pm

It can be some of the toughest hunting for turkeys there is, especially for Easterns, which I consider the toughest of the 6 different species or subspecies to hunt. They have heard every call, 4-wheeler, door slam, cough and safety click for the most part there is. The Easterns are around people enough to know what trouble is and have learned that the ones that gobble the most live the shortest time. Some western turkeys, Gould's and for sure Ocellateds have never seen a human, let alone know the danger they represent. If you continue to hunt public land you will earn your turkey and don't hesitate to walk that extra mile and stay that extra hour and you'll be rewarded. Good luck and when you kill that first Longbeard you'll certainly be elated and proud. Good luck.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum