scouted yesterday

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

scouted yesterday

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:45 am

went scouting the red headed buggers yesterday, i got spotted nearly everytime! guess my camo didn't blend in with lowlands brush :no: oh well, i am hunting in pine forest next week so it really doesn't matter. REMEMBER, DON'T MOVE!
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:30 pm

Movement in the turkey woods is by far the most important thing. A deer will sit there and try to figure out what you are. A turkey will see you as a predator and bug out real quickly. Always listen before you move. You can normaly hear them scrathing around.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:33 pm

there were way too many ducks and geese making a ruckus to hear anything else, i'm sure they saw me move and saw my hat, so i made a camo hat cover yesterday. i'm 3/4 of the way done with that. they aren't talking around here yet so i dunno how good it will be next week.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:31 pm

Your on the right track. Go into stealth mode on them next time :thumbsup: Before you know it you`ll be posing in front of the camera with one of those big gobblers

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:33 pm

thanks stump, by the way, your avatar reminds me of the icons they use on the school news up here, pretty funny.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Idaho,

That avatar represents what`s on my mind 24/7 right now. I can`t stop thinking about turkeys. My wife says That one day they will drive me mad. Personaly I think that day has come and gone :eek:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:55 pm

same here, i have been told that i am muttering turkey under my breath at school. i have had my calls in my mouth for over a month now, made a dozen things for gobbler gettin' and wore my turkey camo to school today for no other reason than "i want to see if it still fits."
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:58 pm

:welcome: Welcome to the CRAZY world of the majestic wild turkey and the crazy fools that chase them :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:00 pm

no kidding, my mom banned me from buying duck stuff last season, but for turkey i have my dad on my side to keep her quiet :biggrin:
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:01 pm

i hear ya there stump, as if i didnt have it bad enough before saturday i got it BAD right now. this weekend cant come quick enough, and to top it off i just talked a guy from work into giving turkey hunting a try and he's gonna let me do his calling :biggrin:

idaho, you got to be extra still in the turkey woods and when your hunting and moving locations or scouting right before season be sure to take a couple of steps and stop and look around making sure not to bust any birds that may be near by and when you come upon a new area be sure to start your calling really softly so that you dont scare a bird that may be near by.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:03 pm

thanks trigger, yeah, besides mine and my dad's hunt, i talked several of my buddies into giving it a shot this year and letting me do the calling for them, because i am just that generous. so i am pretty well booked for the season.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:09 pm

thats the best part about turkey hunting anyways. dont get me wrong i love droppin the hammer on an ol boss tom, but callin a bird in for someone else is where it's at.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:12 pm

You got that right there Trigger22.
You`ll be dropping the hammer soon with that sweet calling of yours.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:04 pm

i cant wait for saturday. i think i woke up in the middle of the night at least 5 times last night cause i heard gobbles. 1 time i guess there was a gust of wind or something, but i thought i heard a bird fly down out of the roost. saturday needs to hurry up or i'm gonna go insane :help:
trigger22
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:12 pm

stump, didn't you say somethin' about some guy who woke up suddenly and when his wife asked what was the matter, he told her to be quiet cause the gobbler was coming in? man that would be hilarious to see.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:24 pm

Ha, been there done that.

Also we were in PA a few years back. I woke up and told her I heard a gobble. She told me I was crazy. I laid back down and heard it again. I walked down stairs and listened out the back door. Yep, I heard him gobble again. Yelped with my voice and 10 minutes later everyone in the house watched a bird strutt 5 feet from the window. Then he went and whooped up on a goose statue in the neighbors yard :eek: :eek: :eek: True story

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:46 pm

bet she had fun eating that statement for breakfast :thumbsup: jeez stump, birds come to you no matter what. you must have long beard runnin in your blood or somethin.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Idaho, I wish I was half turkey though.
I was never lucky enough to be taught how to turkey hunt. I just decided to try it. After hearing my first gobble I was hooked. I have a library lituraly on turkeys at the house. I bought every book I could get my hands on and studied. I was lucky enough to understand woodsmenship from my days in the military and applied that and what I read to scouting and hunting. Also I don`t consider a mistake in the woods bad. I see it as learning and apply it to the next outing. I take a proactive approach. Plus the fact that ALL of the birds I have taken or called in for people were on gamelands. I have to be on my game on those gamelands if I am to put myself in a good situation. I enjoy the challenge more than anything

But if you ask the wife she simply says I an a cross breed of human and turkey :rofl: :rofl:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:05 pm

same here stump, i killed my first bird on a hunting trip as a young kid and took it home to dad and he fried up the breast and it was the best thing that i have ever eaten, and still is to this day. after that i had dad take me to the local sporting goods store and i got a few diaphram calls and a magazine on turkey hunting. i started practicing with the calls and once i got it to finally make some noise it was on. i killed the first bird that i called in a few weeks later with the simple chick chick chick sound and thats really what it sounded like. but from then on out i've been hooked and after years of reading every article and book that i can find and LOTS of practice with the calls here i am. not a great hunter, but i consistantly kill birds on public land and bring birds in for other people. mom says i am a turkey and dad and little brother are always asking when i'm gonna come home so they can kill a bird or two. woodsmanship is the biggest part about turkey hunting imo, if you know where to look, what to look for, and how to look for it you'll consistantly kill birds.
trigger22
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:17 pm

I agree, theres allot to be said about woodsmanship. You definitely need to know the lay of the land, how the turkeys use that land and how you can use it to your advantage. Being where the turkeys want to be will kill you allot of birds. Incorporating calling and decoys to that scenario make it that much more deadly....and allot more fun. :yes:

And i must agree, that you need to take your mistakes with a grain of salt. Pay attention when you make mistakes. You need to access the situation. Why did things go south and what can i do next time to stop that from happening again? I gaurentee youll be a better turkey hunter if you use that mentality.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum