Tested some turkey loads this weekend and......

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Tested some turkey loads this weekend and......

Postby hollowcd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:08 am

Well my buddy and I did some turkey load testing this weekend. I will post our results below, as I am surprised at what we found. I am looking for suggestions on other shells to try.

My Gun:

Xtrema 2, 24” Barrel, Kicks Gobblin Thunder .670 Choke

With New 3 ½ Hevi Shot, 1 3/8 oz, # 6 shot - Pattern was decent, well uniform, but terribly off target. At 30 yards, I was 6-8” to the left of target neck, At 40 yards, same result but obviously expanded

With New 3” Hevi Shot, 1 3/8 oz, # 6 shot – Virtually same result as the 3 ½ “ Shell

With New 3 ½ Hevi Shot, 1 7/8 oz, #6 shot – Same pattern as above at 40 yrds, but this time it was 5-6” to the right of target neck

With Last years Remington 3” Hevi Shot, 1 5/8 oz, #6 shot – Awesome pattern at 40 yards, dead on target, highly uniform

All the shells above held a good pattern through the Gobblin Thunder Choke. I would prefer to use a 3 ½ inch shell, but it is not going to be the new Hevi Shot. At 50 yards, I would aim for the neck and be putting pellets in his tailfeathers.

My Buddies Gun:

Benelli SBE, 24 “ Barrel, Old Patternmaster Choke(we know its not designed for turkey but its all he had)

With New 3 ½ Hevi Shot, 1 3/8 oz, # 6 shot – Pattern was uniform, but not near as tight as my gun, His shot was also to the left of target, same results as mine

With New 3” Hevi Shot, 1 3/8 oz, # 6 shot – At 40 yards, Same as mine, but my pattern was tighter

With New 3 ½ Hevi Shot, 1 7/8 oz, #6 shot – At 40 yards, he was right on target, not nearly as tight of pattern, but a dead bird none the less, at 50 yards we still probably had a dead bird, but pattern was diminishing quickly

With Last years Remington 3” Hevi Shot, 1 5/8 oz, #6 shot – Same as mine

The new 3 ½ hevi Shot in the heavier load would do the trick in my buddies gun, but was far right with mine. What loads are you guys using? Only problem that I am having now is how empty my wallet is after patterning all of these loads, it is ridiculous what they charge for these shells. I looked at the federal Hevy Loads today, and the where $49.99, unbelievable. If you guys have any patterning info you have discovered, or an idea on a 3 ½ “ shell I should try I am open to ideas.

Hollow
hollowcd
hunter

loads

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:05 am

If you're shooting a .670 choke, try some of the WW Elite Extended range shells. A little expensive, but down-right deadly. The people at Winchester reccomended me use a less tighter choke and it's proven to be deadly for the last 3 years shooting 3 1/2 inch 5's through a Terror Tube .670 choke. We all need to keep in mind that a smooth, even pattern is often better than one that is too tight as shooting a grapefruit size pattern at a walnut sized kill area can sometimes result in a missed bird. IMO a little too much is being placed in tight patterns. Remember you got to hit them first.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum