Number Three

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Number Three

Postby tripleCBoykins » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:34 am

This is number three guys. 9 1/4 inch beard, 3/4 inch spurs and 16 pounds. He gobbled three times on the roost. He flew down about 0715 this morning. He came to me but got in his strut zone before he was close enough for a shot. I let him walk off and moved closer to the zone. Called to him once after I moved, he marched right back to his spot. I harvested him at 0815.

Image.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:38 am

Great looking bird right there. And good move on your part letting him walk and then moving!!! Most would have stayed put

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:48 am

Darned nice bird and great read on the situation as well. Ive said it before and ill say it again, theyre allot easier to call in if your where they wanna go...This proves that right agian.

Number three huh? Must be nice to hunt mulitple birds in-state. I hunt Michigan and the limit is one in spring and one in fall if you draw a permit for each season.

Once again, great job. :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:18 am

One here too A-Bomb. Are you guys starting to see a huge influx of birds where you never seen them before? There are birds everywhere! We do however have the luxury of buying any extra unsold tags for the later seasons, so by all rights you can shoot more than one, but it may be in another (unfamiliar) County, or later in the season. In addition to only shooting one bird, we can only shoot one bird in a five-day time period. Now you have to pray for good weather.

Congrats on the third bird! 16 pounds? was the bird purging to look slim for the ladies? :smile:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:00 pm

Hey Pete,
I hunt the southern part of the state where the population is very strong. There is a mix of small and large woodlots that the turkeys inhabit. Any of them could have turkeys in them at any time and it wouldnt surprise me a bit...theyre everywhere down there. :yes:

But, i will say this. The birds seem to be relating to the larger woodlots right now. Theyre still in pretty good sized groups and are roosting in the hardwoods and working the stubble fields, corn in particular. The toms are strutting their stuff pretty good too. I hope this weather warms up a bit more and the turkeys start to disperse a bit more. If my hunt were to start today id have ALLOT of hens to contend with. With that in mind, another week and a half wont hurt no matter how bad i want to hunt now. :rofl:
Last edited by A-Bomb on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:53 pm

Man thats a nice bird. You did a good job by letting him walk off then calling him back. :thumbsup: Nice thick beard on that one.

Congrats
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:38 am

A-Bomb, I'm in the southern part of Wisconsin, and our birds are still in their winter flocks as well, feeding in the same stubble that you're talking about. Toms are all puffed up, but too many hens to deal with right now, but my season is 6 weeks out, so they will definitely be dispersed by then. Just in time for the Morel season.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Now that sounds like a fine plan there my friend. :cheers:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum